How do I guarantee that the flash will fire and where did ..

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
June 6, 2005 6:30:15 AM

Recently I was taking some photos at a children's birthday party that
was lit by an electric light bulb on the ceiling.
my first photos were very dark as it looked like the camera adjusted
to the light source from the lit candles on the cake
Settings: 400 ASA. evaluative metering. shutter auto set to 1/60sec
f4.0 If the flash had fired then the people would not be so dark in
the photo as they were about 1.5 meters from the camera.

When I saw how dark the photos were I increased the ASA rate to 1600
ASA this caused the shutter to drop to 1/10 sec f3.5 and the photos
had a yellowish colour (must be due to the white balance not auto
adjusting correctly) but the photos were brighter.

I then dropped the ASA rating down to 200 ASA this seem to cause the
flash to fire and I had a shutter speed of 1/60 sec f5.6
these photos looked ok and have better lighting than the yellowish
photos.

I was using the auto mode on the camera.
The camera's light meter was set to evaluative in all photos.
The camera is a Canon 300D (SLR) digital camera.

Could someone please tell me where I went wrong and what are the best
settings for a birthday party lit by a 60 watt room light bulb. I
wanted the flash to fire every time I took a photo of the party.

Regards Brian

More about : guarantee flash fire

Anonymous
June 6, 2005 6:30:16 AM

Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote:

> Could someone please tell me where I went wrong and what are the best
> settings for a birthday party lit by a 60 watt room light bulb. I
> wanted the flash to fire every time I took a photo of the party.

I am not familiar with your specific camera, but most digital cameras
have these characteristics in common:

In this case the flash function position should be set to shoot flash on
all pictures (other settings are to flash when needed, red eye
prevention and never flash)

The camera must be left on long enough and wait between flashes for the
flash to charge up.

Don't fool with the ASA. It increases noise if turned up too high.
Leave it on automatic.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to rhodyman@earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 02:30:15 +1200, Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote:

>Recently I was taking some photos at a children's birthday party that
>was lit by an electric light bulb on the ceiling.
>my first photos were very dark as it looked like the camera adjusted
>to the light source from the lit candles on the cake
>Settings: 400 ASA. evaluative metering. shutter auto set to 1/60sec
>f4.0 If the flash had fired then the people would not be so dark in
>the photo as they were about 1.5 meters from the camera.
>
>When I saw how dark the photos were I increased the ASA rate to 1600
>ASA this caused the shutter to drop to 1/10 sec f3.5 and the photos
>had a yellowish colour (must be due to the white balance not auto
>adjusting correctly) but the photos were brighter.
>
>I then dropped the ASA rating down to 200 ASA this seem to cause the
>flash to fire and I had a shutter speed of 1/60 sec f5.6
>these photos looked ok and have better lighting than the yellowish
>photos.
>
>I was using the auto mode on the camera.
>The camera's light meter was set to evaluative in all photos.
>The camera is a Canon 300D (SLR) digital camera.

I have one of those (actually a Digital Rebel; same thing).
In auto mode (green square), you can't set the ISO; it's automatically
set. And, in auto mode, if the flash were needed, it would pop up
automatically.
So what did you atually have it set to? P? (For general use,that's
what I use.)
Since you weren't in automode, you could try manually raising the
flash; this will put the camera in flash mode, and it will go off.

>Could someone please tell me where I went wrong and what are the best
>settings for a birthday party lit by a 60 watt room light bulb. I
>wanted the flash to fire every time I took a photo of the party.

The onboard flash is fairly anemic; an external flash would be much
better.

--
Big Bill
Replace "g" with "a"

"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
> Recently I was taking some photos at a children's birthday party that
> was lit by an electric light bulb on the ceiling.
> my first photos were very dark as it looked like the camera adjusted
> to the light source from the lit candles on the cake
> Settings: 400 ASA. evaluative metering. shutter auto set to 1/60sec
> f4.0 If the flash had fired then the people would not be so dark in
> the photo as they were about 1.5 meters from the camera.
>
> When I saw how dark the photos were I increased the ASA rate to 1600
> ASA this caused the shutter to drop to 1/10 sec f3.5 and the photos
> had a yellowish colour (must be due to the white balance not auto
> adjusting correctly) but the photos were brighter.
>
> I then dropped the ASA rating down to 200 ASA this seem to cause the
> flash to fire and I had a shutter speed of 1/60 sec f5.6
> these photos looked ok and have better lighting than the yellowish
> photos.
>
> I was using the auto mode on the camera.
Don't. This is part of the reason for the exposures you described above.
> The camera's light meter was set to evaluative in all photos.
> The camera is a Canon 300D (SLR) digital camera.
Was the flash perchance set for fill? If so, this is also part of your
problem

> Could someone please tell me where I went wrong and what are the best
> settings for a birthday party lit by a 60 watt room light bulb. I
> wanted the flash to fire every time I took a photo of the party.
Can't say what the settings should be because it depends on the size of the
room. 60 watts is a very small light.
What would do is:
Camera set to shutter priority (1/60 or so)
Fill flash disabled
ISO set to 200
Make test shot (remember, they don't cost much)
Adjust settings depending on what I see from the histogram.
Jim
June 6, 2005 4:59:59 PM

Big Bill <bigbill@PIPPING.COM> wrote:

>On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 02:30:15 +1200, Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>Recently I was taking some photos at a children's birthday party that
>>was lit by an electric light bulb on the ceiling.
>>my first photos were very dark as it looked like the camera adjusted
>>to the light source from the lit candles on the cake
>>Settings: 400 ASA. evaluative metering. shutter auto set to 1/60sec
>>f4.0 If the flash had fired then the people would not be so dark in
>>the photo as they were about 1.5 meters from the camera.
>>
>>When I saw how dark the photos were I increased the ASA rate to 1600
>>ASA this caused the shutter to drop to 1/10 sec f3.5 and the photos
>>had a yellowish colour (must be due to the white balance not auto
>>adjusting correctly) but the photos were brighter.
>>
>>I then dropped the ASA rating down to 200 ASA this seem to cause the
>>flash to fire and I had a shutter speed of 1/60 sec f5.6
>>these photos looked ok and have better lighting than the yellowish
>>photos.
>>
>>I was using the auto mode on the camera.
>>The camera's light meter was set to evaluative in all photos.
>>The camera is a Canon 300D (SLR) digital camera.
>
>I have one of those (actually a Digital Rebel; same thing).
>In auto mode (green square), you can't set the ISO; it's automatically
>set. And, in auto mode, if the flash were needed, it would pop up
>automatically.
>So what did you atually have it set to? P? (For general use,that's
>what I use.)
>Since you weren't in automode, you could try manually raising the
>flash; this will put the camera in flash mode, and it will go off.
>>
>>Could someone please tell me where I went wrong and what are the best
>>settings for a birthday party lit by a 60 watt room light bulb. I
>>wanted the flash to fire every time I took a photo of the party.
>
>The onboard flash is fairly anemic; an external flash would be much
>better.
>>
>>Regards Brian

Thanks Bill and others for your reply.
I got the settings for each photo from a software program that comes
with the camera. I might have selected the P mode to be able to adjust
the ISO value. The specs show shooting mode=Program AE for each photo.
I also manually lifted up the flash thinking that it would fire for
all photos.
I might be able to increased the exposure of the people and mask the
birthday cake to avoid the cake from being over exposed when using an
digital editing program.

So it looks like I'd be better to choose the P mode next time.

Regards Brian
!