Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4ghz overclock or replacement?

jtj

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Hi everyone,

I've had my current pc (xps 420) for about 4 and a half years and so far i've upgraded all of the main components but the processor and motherboard. I was wondering whether it would be worth me getting a new processor altogether or, if it is possible, overclock the processor.

The current processor is Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4ghz

any help would be much appreciated!

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

well OC if possible wud be a good option for the time being.

I don;t recommend buying a new LGA 775 quad coz they are quite expensive.... ur best option wud be to sell off ur box and assemble a new one from scratch....the new core i series will not fit on ur 775 socket:)

G

you might as well look at replacing the mobo, ram and cpu now. got a budget? there are some AMD solutions that are very inexpensive and perform some tasks extremely well.
i'll just going to assume no one read my post and are just spewing out whatever comes to their mind
i know the feeling . . .

InvalidError

Titan
I would not recommend upgrading CPU on an LGA775 platform either since that would severely limit options and you may end up having/wanting to upgrade everything else anyhow.

Upgrading CPU+MoBo+RAM in one shot is cheaper than upgrading the CPU, RAM and adding after-market IO cards to support new standards integrated into current chipsets only to end up concluding that the "frankeinstein machine" is still not up to par.

Your computer is kind of old. It's using an outdated CPU on an out dated socket and probably DDR2 RAM. I wouldn't dump anymore money into that Dell. I would take what you have now and use it and start saving up for a new computer.

vdr369

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010

nice suggestion bro but who will sell used q9400+ cpu, if there is any give me a link,cause i have to upgrade my old rig in my office, and one more thing i live in India. so if there is any possibility give me a link :hello:

For $150 you could get a Sandy Bridge G630 a H61 mobo and 8GB of DDR3 and it would be a better gamer and use less than half the power AND be upgradable down the road.

Or you could just overclock it to 3.2ghz or so and use the money for a new video card.

Or you could take that 150 dollars and put it towards a Sandy Bridges Pentium. It will be a good bit faster than the old 775 socket CPU's.

vdr369

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
thank you all above three friends, i suggested the same suggestion to buy the g630+h61 board for my office people, but they denied it and they are insisted to buy a used quad core for 40 to 70 usd

thank you all.

jtj

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Thanks for all the help!

It seems like i'm probably better off doing a change of computer rather than messing about replacing the mobo + processor since i'm in need of an upgrade soon anyway due to the date of the pc and i'm on a relatively low budget as I need to buy a new laptop soon.