Sign in with
Your question

Time to retire my 8800 Ultra

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 5, 2012 2:08:59 PM

Hello good people. I would like some GPU advise.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE:
ASAP

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:
Gaming
Space marine, Call of Duty MW3, Perhaps the new Battlefield. I want a card that will be relatively future proof.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY:
GeForce 8800 Ultra. 700 Watt Coolermaster PSU

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
Intel Core2 Quad CPU 2.66GHz
4GB Ram

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: www.ebuyer.co.uk COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United Kingdom

PARTS PREFERENCES: I will only use Nvidea cards. Dislike ATI drivers.

OVERCLOCKING: If it is good value and relatively risk free SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Pref not due to lack of space in case, but would if represented good value.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

More about : time retire 8800 ultra

a c 290 U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 2:14:23 PM

Hey what's your budget? I could advice GTX 560 Ti, GTX 570 or even GTX 580 IF your budget allows it. Without it, I can't really advice you :) 
January 5, 2012 2:17:04 PM

Darn, knew I forgot something. £400 Max.

Though that represents my entire "Computer Upgrade" budget for a little while. I wouldn't want to blow it all on a Graphics card if its going to create a processor bottleneck.
a c 290 U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 2:23:15 PM

Well, if you upgraded your CPU, you'd need a new motherboard and RAM as well. So I doubt you'd fit in your budget.

For now, I'd suggest you buy a GTX 570. It should be around 260 british pounds, and that's a balance between high-end and budget. It would run most of the current games totally maxed out, including Battlefield 3 (though, shouldn't expect more than 40 fps with max graphics and AA).

When you get more money, you can upgrade your CPU, motherboard and RAM. I guess it would cost you around 300 british pounds, if you want to get decent parts that will last you as long as your Core2 quad and 8800 Ultra lasted.
!