Time to retire my 8800 Ultra

Hello good people. I would like some GPU advise.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE:
ASAP

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:
Gaming
Space marine, Call of Duty MW3, Perhaps the new Battlefield. I want a card that will be relatively future proof.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY:
GeForce 8800 Ultra. 700 Watt Coolermaster PSU

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
Intel Core2 Quad CPU 2.66GHz
4GB Ram

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: www.ebuyer.co.uk COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United Kingdom

PARTS PREFERENCES: I will only use Nvidea cards. Dislike ATI drivers.

OVERCLOCKING: If it is good value and relatively risk free SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Pref not due to lack of space in case, but would if represented good value.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080
answers
Last reply
More about time retire 8800 ultra
  1. Hey what's your budget? I could advice GTX 560 Ti, GTX 570 or even GTX 580 IF your budget allows it. Without it, I can't really advice you :)
  2. Darn, knew I forgot something. £400 Max.

Though that represents my entire "Computer Upgrade" budget for a little while. I wouldn't want to blow it all on a Graphics card if its going to create a processor bottleneck.
  3. Well, if you upgraded your CPU, you'd need a new motherboard and RAM as well. So I doubt you'd fit in your budget.

For now, I'd suggest you buy a GTX 570. It should be around 260 british pounds, and that's a balance between high-end and budget. It would run most of the current games totally maxed out, including Battlefield 3 (though, shouldn't expect more than 40 fps with max graphics and AA).

When you get more money, you can upgrade your CPU, motherboard and RAM. I guess it would cost you around 300 british pounds, if you want to get decent parts that will last you as long as your Core2 quad and 8800 Ultra lasted.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics