Upgrade for fast 1080p streaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddstew

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
I have a gigabyte motherboard GA-MA78G-DS3H with 2GB ram and 2.7GHz AMD. The video card is onboard. My internet speed is 3 Mb/s which is probably my real bottleneck. My desktop is direct connected to the internet. hence wireless is not bottleneck.

What upgrade do I need for smoothest downloads of youtube 1080p HD vids? Also for playing PC games such as MW3 or need for speed or Crysis and Deus Ex.

Is my system going to be ok for those games? What is a worthy yet inexpensive video card to drop in this older mb? Inexpensive to me means $50-$100.

Solution

Not really. You really have 2 problems. Your data pipe is fairly slow (as you mentioned) and your integrated video uses system resources that a discrete video card would free up.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Not really. You really have 2 problems. Your data pipe is fairly slow (as you mentioned) and your integrated video uses system resources that a discrete video card would free up.

Solution

toddstew

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Will current PCI Express 2.1 x16 GPU's work with the expansions slots on my Gigabyte mb which has the following expansion slots available.

1 x PCI Express x16 slot (Note3), confirming to PCI Express 2.0 standard
1 x PCI Express x4 slot, confirming to PCI Express 2.0 standard
3 x PCI Express x1 slot (PCIEX1_2, PCIEX1_3 share with the PCIEX4_1 slot) (Note4)
2 x PCI slots

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Yes, just install in your x16 slot and have fun. Not an issue at all.

toddstew

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
I'm still shopping and comparing graphics card. I want to get the best bang I can for less than $100. I probably can't go wrong with any of the suggestions that I've received, I just want to make an informed decision. For some reason I'm gravitating towards XFX. But I'm not sure why.

I'm trying to figure out what is enough for my needs...

toddstew

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
I almost pulled the trigger on this over the weekend. It seems to be a really great deal. Help me understand the pros and cons of this....http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150567.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

That is a low-end GPU by today's standards. Inexpensive, but not a huge step up from your integrated video now. Try one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102934

Status
Not open for further replies.