G

Hello all..This is my first post.. I am interested in purchasing a new MSI master s main board with DDR & AMD 761 chipset support..I'm confused at the DDR memory available. I know of the 1600 vs. 2100 issue, but cannot make sense of the buffered vs. unbuffered, registered vs. unregistered, brand vs. (un)brand, ECC vs. (un)ECC...
Does ANyone know what gives on DDR or is this basic knowledge I should already know ? Help !! Thanks :)

G

There is a good explanation of all those terms in the FAQ at www.crucial.com. Basically, you need unbuffered non-ECC memory (unless you wanna run a server, of course).

Leo

cutepunk

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
http://www.crucial.com/store/ListModule.asp?module=184-pin+DIMM

Go to that link and you will see PC2100s listed..
You don't need ECC or buffered modules..
These modules will be fine.

I've tried Crucial and Hyundai(Mushkin)modules, and I liked Crucial's more.. They both run fine at 2.5-3-3 setting, but the Crucial module ran with out an error at 2-2-2 setting.. I had some error messages when I tried to set Hyundai modules at 2-2-2..

good luck.

G

Thanks...I will check the crucial post...I appreciate all the help

G

question...Doesn't Non registered ream make future add on sticks impossible..Somewhere I read this...and What do U think of 2 Cas vs. 2.5 or even 3.0 Cas ?? Are all of these askings too much of a stink for us home users ?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Cas 2 performs noticeably better on some programs, especially 3d apps, and is usually within 5% of the same price as Cas3, sometimes cheaper, from Crucial.

Suicide is painless...........

G

Thanks for that info, I will try to find a Cas 2 stick if possible..Does it matter if I get registered vs. unregistered though. The MB I'm buying has 4 bays, I'm thinking of upgrading later to have all 4 filled. This scares me if I buy unregistered ram first due to the fact I read that bay 3-4 won't work unless bay 1-2 is filled with registered ram..Anyone read anything like this??