Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Why Won't My Pc Play Skyrim?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 5, 2012 2:21:11 PM

Hello, Thanks for Taking your time to read this. Why Can't I play skyrim on Even the lowest setting in window mode? My systems Rough Specs are
AMD Phenom II x4 955
a 6870 with 1024mb and gddr5
6 gigs of regular ram, with about 4.5 of it usable

When Playing this game i get half way through the wagon Ride and Boom My pc stops Displaying on my monitor but is still running and and sound playing. From what I can tell I have Above the Recommended Specs to play skyrim
infact this pc was built a couple months ago with the intentions of playing skyrim. Please help me thanks

More about : play skyrim

January 5, 2012 4:32:13 PM

Try updating graphic drivers?
Score
January 5, 2012 9:36:23 PM

They are the most recent. :/ 
Score
Related resources
January 5, 2012 9:48:27 PM

What is your power supply?
Score
January 5, 2012 10:05:06 PM

Either your power supply is not up to the task, you have serious heat issues, you have some bad RAM or you may have a corrupted game install. What are your PSU and case? 6Gb with an AMD system means 2Gb x 2 and 1Gb x2 or 2Gb x 3?

First does your computer crash doing anything except Skyrim?

What are your CPU and GPU temps? Does your case have decent airflow?

Are you overclocked at all?

Have you run memtest to rule out bad RAM?

Have you tried a reinstall? Skyrim is buggy as hell even now with all the patches although it is better now. Do you have the updates installed?
Score
January 5, 2012 10:14:50 PM

^Everything above. Answer all of those.
Score
January 5, 2012 10:34:12 PM

I'm leaning towards the Power Supply. Also, have you tried to run memtest?
Score
January 5, 2012 11:08:01 PM

Do your Skyrim copy are legit or 'jack sparrow' version?
Score
January 6, 2012 2:01:01 AM

I'm going to Download the Driver in the link, provided By corroded thanks, but I'm fairly sure I already have downloaded it. I have x3 2gb Sticks of ram all are functioning properly according to Win 7. My PSU is a 630 Watt supply. I am not Overclocked at all. And Yes this does occur on other Games Such as in the DLC "The Shadow Broker" for Mass Effect 2, V.A.T.S Mode in Fallout 3, and FarCry 2 on DX11 mode any setting. But None as Bad as Skyrim And Yes my copy Is legitimate. I live Half way Down the Florida Keys, in long key , and the closest Game Stop or other Retailer of PC games is 60 something miles one way , Which is part of the Reason I am un-settled at this and am attempting to reach out for help from this community to help me Find a Solution. Thank you guys
Score
January 6, 2012 2:25:09 AM

hoverpirate said:
I'm going to Download the Driver in the link, provided By corroded thanks, but I'm fairly sure I already have downloaded it. I have x3 2gb Sticks of ram all are functioning properly according to Win 7. My PSU is a 630 Watt supply. I am not Overclocked at all. And Yes this does occur on other Games Such as in the DLC "The Shadow Broker" for Mass Effect 2, V.A.T.S Mode in Fallout 3, and FarCry 2 on DX11 mode any setting. But None as Bad as Skyrim And Yes my copy Is legitimate. I live Half way Down the Florida Keys, in long key , and the closest Game Stop or other Retailer of PC games is 60 something miles one way , Which is part of the Reason I am un-settled at this and am attempting to reach out for help from this community to help me Find a Solution. Thank you guys

Ok since you are failing in other games that changes a few things. What is the make and model of your PSU?

Run memtest on your RAM to rule out bad sticks. You still have not told us your temps. Coretemp or Realtemp will do for your CPU and GPU-Z will work for your GPU.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

http://www.memtest.org/

Prime 95 is also a great system stability tester, overclocked or not.

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

You obviously do not have a stable system. If it was only in Skyrim then it might just have been bad drivers but crashing in all these other games too makes me think we have a hardware issue.
Score
January 6, 2012 4:19:06 AM

Tried New Drivers, Nothing.

Mem Test Came up with 0 Errors and a Pass

My CPU Idle is around 39C

And For my Vid Card http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/12/01/06/9a.png

My PSU is a Raidmax RX 630SS. I'm not sure if I can get in Game Temp. Readings though, I'll Try. Thanks
Score
January 6, 2012 4:34:04 AM

Is that temperatures at idle? Read the temperatures while gaming, to do this, play games then close it with ALT+F4 (windows) and then see the temperatures in your program that displays GPU temperatures (GPU-Z).
Score
January 6, 2012 5:20:33 AM

Your power supply seems to be a real 432w unit. Raidmax is junk and you do not want to go with a junk power supply. It sends power to your other very sensitive components. And when a junk power supply blows it can take other things with it. Things like your motherboard and CPU and GPU and anything else plugged into it.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8285

The 6870 recommends a 500w unit with 2 x 75w 6pin PCIE power connectors.

Skyrim is asking too much from your power supply. Always buy a top quality power supply. It will last for years and give you room for things like overclocking.

Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Enermax and Silverstone will do you right with pretty much all their models. A few other manufacturers make quality units but some of their other lines can be hit or miss.

Here is a great deal on a modular "real" 600w unit from PC Power and Cooling.
Plenty of power should you ever add a second 6870 in Crossfire.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
January 6, 2012 6:33:00 AM

Is it the real version of skyrim.
Score
January 6, 2012 2:20:01 PM

Thank you So much . I'm Going to Order it Today, and Hope for the Best.

My In Game Temps Were
CPU maxed at 53C
and GPU maxed at 69c

Both in Windowed mode.
Score
January 6, 2012 3:22:31 PM

If that is your budget, I would go with this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... . In my opinion, it is better to get non modular power supply with more amps on the +12V rail (53A in XFX compared to 48A on Power and Cooling Power supply) then a modular power supply with less amps with the same price. Because You could be trying to be smart and figure out how to do cable management better :) .
Score
January 6, 2012 10:17:45 PM

I already ordered the first one you linked . The second looks alot better than the first though. Thanks again for your help. I will post when I get it , and see if it fixes the problem.
Score
January 6, 2012 11:06:34 PM

XFX power supplies are very highly rated just like PC Power and Cooling. The XFX unit is a bit more powerful but the PC Power and Cooling is modular. Either one is way more power than you need now and gives you the ability to add a second card in Crossfire later.
Score
January 11, 2012 2:42:32 AM

Sigh. I installed the new power supply and immediately Tried Skyrim. Same thing Still Happens. :/ 
Score
January 11, 2012 3:06:43 AM

Well crap. Ok, I just reread the thread and have to say I am kind of stumped.

You have run memtest with no errors.

You have a new high end power supply.

Your temps are fine.

You have the latest drivers.

No overclock to fail.

Run prime 95 and see if you get any errors there. 8 to 12 hours to be 100% sure. Monitor your temps while running it and report the results.

http://majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html

Might as well check your hard drive while we are at it. Try this and see if SMART is reporting any errors. Might as well try the disk self test as well.

http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm

And you video card. Might as well add Furmark to the list. An hour or so should work for this one. Once again monitor temps while running it.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20111216/furmark-1-9-2-released-...

If those come up fine and Prime 95 does not find any errors then run memtest overnight. At least for 8 or 10 hours. Sometimes a "gremlin" can show up that a single pass may not have found.

Try all that and lets see what happens. I hate bugs like this. I would have bet money on it being the power supply. My next guess is your RAM.
Score
January 11, 2012 3:16:54 AM

These computers aren't as easy to fix as an Engine lol. I will Do all of that. Thanks for sticking this one out and trying to help me.
Score
January 11, 2012 3:20:44 AM

hoverpirate said:
These computers aren't as easy to fix as an Engine lol. I will Do all of that. Thanks for sticking this one out and trying to help me.

No problem. We will figure this out!
Score
January 11, 2012 2:26:25 PM

Alright I haven't run any of those tests yet, but thought I'd point out that I removed my GFx Card and Tried skyrim on just my Onboard GFx on low setting, and I can play to my hearts content, even if it is a only like 21fps. That would leave me to believe that it has something to do with my Gfx Card?
Score
January 11, 2012 2:49:46 PM

xfx started cutting corners with grafix cards so it not a suprise that the onboard grafix allows you to play and the dicrete card does not. i spent over 3 mos waiting for xfx to repair my card and they told me it passed their inspection but they needed to flash the bios to change the hardware id. this is because my 4850 discrete card was built with the mobile laptop gpu instead of the discrete GPU so basically use GPU-Z to see if you have the gpu in your card that you were supposed to. mine was supposed to be a RV770 instead they sold me a M98 . not sure how many people may have suspect xfx cards. may last xfx card from 8 years ago still works today but the products they are selling to day are not the same which could have something to do with their change in warranty policies now. Good luck
Score
January 11, 2012 4:40:53 PM

hoverpirate said:
Alright I haven't run any of those tests yet, but thought I'd point out that I removed my GFx Card and Tried skyrim on just my Onboard GFx on low setting, and I can play to my hearts content, even if it is a only like 21fps. That would leave me to believe that it has something to do with my Gfx Card?

Yep, very well could be a bad card. Try the Furmark test first. If it fails/overheats then there is your problem.

XFX has a double lifetime warranty so if it's the card you should have no problems getting it replaced.

@Mike. Exactly how do you know you had mobile GPU parts in your desktop card? I have no idea how that happened since I have never heard of it before and it seems like there would have been at least some news about XFX getting caught doing that. Individual people suing or a class action lawsuit. At least one of the review sites would have found it. Both the desktop and the laptop part run on an RV770 core. The laptop part is clocked lower though.
Score
January 11, 2012 4:46:21 PM

Seems like a GPU hardware issue. Make sure your GPU is clean of dust - if you have compressed air duster, blast it through (but hold the fan so it doesn't spin at 10k rpm lol).

Also, you'll get better performance by using pairs of RAM sticks. Your CPU/mobo support dual channel RAM, but with 3 sticks you can only run single channel. This isn't a huge deal but it does help in some applications. You can either try to find a new 2gb stick or go down to 2x2gb.
Score
January 11, 2012 5:05:33 PM

I'll Run the Test when I get off Of work tonight. And My Card Is H.I.S Not Xfx. Thanks Guys.
Score
January 11, 2012 5:07:31 PM

I found out my cards were made with moble GPU's by first using GPU-z then when i looked at the gpu i was kind of shocked. but as i did research i realized that others who had sent there card into XFX had received a different card from a made by a different manufacture .the problems were no newer driver could install to the card because the hardware id on the drivers would not match a discrete card made with a mobile GPU so when i started a ticket they first told me they new of a problem then later wanted to flash the bios to a different hardware id. so it became obvious that they were dragging this along so i wanted them to just confess to what they did in our support ticket so i would have wriiten confirmation as i was saving the text from the support ticket as rtf doc and sniping tool images . so i flat out told them what they did and what i wanted was the right gpu in my card and they were very carefull not to try to address the issue i have a support ticket with me stating to them that all of this model card may have been manufactured incorrectly and that is why they wanted to cover it up with a bios flash and to not give us what we paid for but they just tried to skip answering as they knew i would have a record of them but here is a small part of a 3 month old ticket

[DANIEL_E 12/22/2011 1:13:09 AM] They updated the bios. We have performed extensive testing on the card you sent in and have not been able to find any issues with it. At this point I am confident that the product is fully functional and the issue you described is not related to the card. We would like to send the card back as it is fully functional. Please let us know if there is anything in particular you would like to have tested before we do so. Thanks, Daniel
[ 12/22/2011 4:54:18 AM] I would be happy as long as you confirm that the problem was your fault as i have already been told that it was your fault that the card was defective so i am just a little confused at the response statement that you made.If i understand correctly the solution to your error is to flash the card with a bios that was made for a different card thus changing the cards hardware id because no semi current driver that includes catalyst would install correctly as this card was made as a mobility gpu and sold as a discreet gpu. am i correct please correct me if i am wrong here or did i miss something, also as long as there will be no heat issues or memory issues and everything works fine then ok but please revise your statement first because "Telling me the issue i described was not related to the card" when what i described is the issue with every card manufactured identical to this one, and this information is floating around the net,is pretty insulting and please let erik help as he is the competent one, i believed everyone there new that this model of card was defective for months and you were initially waiting on a driver fix that never came and after that did not work, you decided to flash the hardware id of the card to a different card.......basically please correct the part about my issue not being the issue with the card as it most definitely is. Happy Holiday`s PS i explained my issues with card over the phone they were only the fact that current drivers would crash the system and the card forces a spin up or power spike or a lound fan spin up when system boots, but since removing the card i installed a different model and now this system runs fine. also it cost be about $25 to mail that card to you, and of the 5 AMD cards i have, i regrettably am unlucky enough to have 2 of them.well....... lesson learned.
[MICHAELC 1/9/2012 7:56:15 PM] Hi Michael; Daniel confirmed in his message that yes we did perform the BIOS update for the card so all appears to be working fine and we can arrange to have the card sent back asap. Thanks, Michael
[MICHAELC 1/9/2012 10:27:11 PM] Your recent returns ref: ********has recently completed the testing process with the following status: {********* = NOFAULTFOUND}. A technician will be in contact shortly to discuss completion of this return. If you have any queries regarding this test result - please send a message to the support team. Thank You. XFX Support

as you can see they are very carefull to avoid admitting that they sold fraudulent cards but they cannot deny it it just sucks and i dont know if there is any thing we can do about it.
Score
January 11, 2012 5:42:42 PM

SaintMike said:
SNIP

So... what does this have to do with anything? Like, at all? Also, it's pretty hard to read when you don't use punctuation and have bad grammar and spelling. Maybe run it through a spell check before sending off a rant like that.

This also doesn't explain nor prove anything. Now, if you have a screenshot proving it shows a mobile gpu in your desktop PC, then you might have a thread to hang on. As it stands you kind of sound like you really don't know what you're talking about.

If you'd like to discuss this further, please create a new thread rather than hijacking the OP's thread, as he needs help.
Score
January 11, 2012 6:56:40 PM

Lol , I just reread the whole thread and nowhere does the OP even mention his graphics card brand until after the first anti-XFX rant.

And yeah, Holy wall of unreadable text Batman. :heink: 

Hoverpirate, I believe HIS cards have a 2 year warranty.
Score
January 11, 2012 7:27:35 PM

hoverpirate said:
Hello, Thanks for Taking your time to read this. Why Can't I play skyrim on Even the lowest setting in window mode? My systems Rough Specs are
AMD Phenom II x4 955
a 6870 with 1024mb and gddr5
6 gigs of regular ram, with about 4.5 of it usable

When Playing this game i get half way through the wagon Ride and Boom My pc stops Displaying on my monitor but is still running and and sound playing. From what I can tell I have Above the Recommended Specs to play skyrim
infact this pc was built a couple months ago with the intentions of playing skyrim. Please help me thanks

If you have dual monitors, And mult-tasking that can be one reason.
If you have in your computer make sure you disable it in the bios, Press F2.
Try updating your graphic, And a bunch of other things.
If you using a old monitor, that can't put that much resolutions try a different one.
sometimes setting your screen resolutions can help you.

Message me if you still have issues
Score
January 11, 2012 7:34:41 PM

anort3 said:
Either your power supply is not up to the task, you have serious heat issues, you have some bad RAM or you may have a corrupted game install. What are your PSU and case? 6Gb with an AMD system means 2Gb x 2 and 1Gb x2 or 2Gb x 3?

First does your computer crash doing anything except Skyrim?

What are your CPU and GPU temps? Does your case have decent airflow?

Are you overclocked at all?

Have you run memtest to rule out bad RAM?

Have you tried a reinstall? Skyrim is buggy as hell even now with all the patches although it is better now. Do you have the updates installed?

Well, You see the airflow have nothing to do with his computer.
If it was a issue with overheating he computer will have shut down.
His ram have nothing to do with it, If the game keep crashes, If his ram was bad it will not show a picture or it will beeps x3.

Im thinking he need to reinstall it.
He need to download ccleaner and remove skyrim from his registry.
Score
January 11, 2012 7:38:40 PM

I'm no expert buy check your RAM you said you have 6gb 3x2? I do not believe AMD supports triple channel or 3 sticks you either have to use 2 sticks or 4 sticks I think. Double check your mobo and cpu info on this topic.
Score
January 11, 2012 7:57:53 PM

The issue is either GPU hardware or drivers, that's about it. The fact that the game keeps playing but only his display shuts off means that everything else should be ok - he also ran stress tests and passed them.

Now, a quick google search of this issue, there are 2 recommendations thrown around. The first is to check your Windows Power options and see if setting to highest power setting fixes anything.

The second suggestion is one I mentioned already, that it could be overheating. Either blasting compressed air through the GPU heatsink or removing the GPU itself and unscrewing the cover, then manually cleaning the dust out. At the very least run GPUZ in the background (with sensors running) and alt-tab out to check the temps.
Score
January 12, 2012 2:19:26 AM

Fumark Bench Mark on the preset 720 Window mode I scored 666 without it messing up, infact I couldn't get it to mess up untill I ran Unigine Heaven on full screen dx10. So I'm almost ready to purchase another Vid Card.

My monitor is New, its an acer Model S202HL. As for cooling, I had one of those Dual Window only Fans Blowing On My Internals at full Blast and It still Happens. I'm Still Pretty Sure its not cooling.

As For Ram My computer Recognizes All The Ram I have installed ? So I assume that's not it Either, I replaced My PSU As well.

I have All up To date Drivers. Everything in the Slots are installed correctly, Ram is in correctly, My GPU is in properly, Processor is on Properly All Power slots are accounted for all my fans are running, DVD burner Works, All USB apparatus' are working. Hard drives Etc.

I have uninstalled Skyrim and Re-installed it. Now As For the Windows Power Options, I would love for that to be the Problem, So I'm going to test that one out right Now. Thanks.
Score
January 12, 2012 2:31:11 AM

Power options did not work. I am still assuming its the Gpu.
Score
January 12, 2012 3:39:19 AM

If you can play the game with the integrated graphics and it does not crash, it almost has to be the card. A bad power supply could still cause those problems but since you have that sweet new Silencer, it pretty much rules that out. Hopefully you are still under warranty?
Score
January 12, 2012 4:11:57 AM

Just because air is flowing over the card doesn't mean it's being kept cool if the heat sink is full of dust. Easiest thing to do is run GPUZ and see what all the temps do (core, vrm, vram).
Score
January 12, 2012 3:20:39 PM

wolfram23 said:
So... what does this have to do with anything? Like, at all? Also, it's pretty hard to read when you don't use punctuation and have bad grammar and spelling. Maybe run it through a spell check before sending off a rant like that.

This also doesn't explain nor prove anything. Now, if you have a screenshot proving it shows a mobile gpu in your desktop PC, then you might have a thread to hang on. As it stands you kind of sound like you really don't know what you're talking about.

If you'd like to discuss this further, please create a new thread rather than hijacking the OP's thread, as he needs help.

sorry about my grammer, i guess i speak better than i type

Score
January 12, 2012 6:49:34 PM

*I'm an idiot. Thought guy above me was the OP*
Score
January 12, 2012 6:59:18 PM

Yeah he decided to hijack the thread.
Score
January 12, 2012 9:12:35 PM

Thanks guys. I'm probably gonna order a card, in a few weeks. Skyrim can Wait that long I Guess. Thanks for your help, but if a new card doesn't work I might just as well build a whole new computer.
Score

Best solution

January 12, 2012 9:22:50 PM

hoverpirate said:
Thanks guys. I'm probably gonna order a card, in a few weeks. Skyrim can Wait that long I Guess. Thanks for your help, but if a new card doesn't work I might just as well build a whole new computer.

At this point it almost has to be the card. No warranty I guess? I think the company has a 2 year warranty on it's cards. 6870 is not 2 years old at this point is it?

Sux you cant enjoy Skyrim. I am 93 hours in and have beat everything except the Thieves Guild quests. Probably play it again as soon as they release some cool downloadable content.
January 12, 2012 9:29:07 PM

anort3 said:
At this point it almost has to be the card. No warranty I guess? I think the company has a 2 year warranty on it's cards. 6870 is not 2 years old at this point is it?

Sux you cant enjoy Skyrim. I am 93 hours in and have beat everything except the Thieves Guild quests. Probably play it again as soon as they release some cool downloadable content.

I'm 105 hours in and have beat nothing except the mage guild quests lol.

That and tons and tons of random ***. Still had a blast, though!
Score
January 12, 2012 9:49:07 PM

wolfram23 said:
I'm 105 hours in and have beat nothing except the mage guild quests lol.

That and tons and tons of random ***. Still had a blast, though!

Great game. Morrowwind came with my old 6600GT and I have been hooked on TES games since! I hate to think how many hours I have in Morrowwind and Oblivion combined. Pretty sure it would be over 500.

Stupid Bethesda, between TES and Fallout it's surprising I get anything done. lol
Score
January 20, 2012 3:25:09 AM

Best answer selected by hoverpirate.
Score
January 20, 2012 3:39:58 AM

Did you get a new card?
Score
January 20, 2012 4:07:39 AM

I would say that the raidmax psu is an absolute piece of garbage, replace it immediatley as well as the GPU it sounds like... let us know what happens
Score
!