Can't play certain games after upgrading GPU.

Deakul

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Not sure what section this goes under so I put it here as a safe bet.

Alright, I recently upgraded from a dead Geforce 7600GS to an ATI Radeon HD 4650 AGP.
Cleaned out the old drivers with Driver Sweeper and installed the latest AGP Catalyst drivers(which were unnecessarily hard to find, even doing a friggin google search for the drivers just turns up help topics instead of the download page).

So, I can play most games just fine like Mass Effect 2, Command & Conquer 3, Men of War: Assault Squad, Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, etc. but I can't seem to play smaller indie titles like Cave Story+, Jamestown, Bit.Trip Runner, Frozen Synapse, Defcon, and games that use idtech like Jedi Outcast and Quake 4.

The erroneous games give me errors saying "invalid OpenGL" or "can't intiliaze C++ visual runtimes"... even though I'm pretty sure I have both OpenGL and every version of the C++ visual runtimes installed thanks to Steam installing everything automatically before running the games.

I use Windows XP Home Edition with SP3, have 1.5gbs of ram, and have an AMD Athlon 2800+ 1.5ghz cpu.

I'm thinking I may have downloaded the wrong type of drivers for the GPU but I've tried older versions(from November) to no avail so I have no idea, I think a reformat may be needed but I'd rather not have to do that.

I don't understand how the drivers could have been "unnecessarily" hard to find....I found them in about 6 seconds.

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_xp-32.aspx

Install and let me know how it goes. During the install I would use the "uninstall old driver" function.

Your system is seriously outdated, like what 12yrs? That cpu will definitely hold back your new video card from it's full capability.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
You should just be able to download the latest catalyst drivers, The errors your getting are definitely related to either your drivers or if you managed to uninstall DirectX or anything like that with driver sweeper. (cant say i've ever used that application so not sure what all it cleaned out).

You can check if you still have directX by opening the run prompt and typing in "dxdiag" and hitting enter. If you get an error you need to reinstall DX

Deakul

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

They were much harder to find than the drivers for my nvidia card, atleast.
And yeah, I'm aware that my system's outdated but it's what I have to work with.

I'm pretty sure I tried the drivers posted in this thread already but I guess it couldn't hurt to try again.
Will report back when I'm home.

AMD.com, top right where it says "Find Driver", drop down menu select "desktop graphics", then "Radeon HD series", then "HD 4XXX series", then choose your OS and click "View".

How could that possibly be harder then finding Nvidia Drivers? lol

Deakul

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
As I said in the original post, was impossible to find through google alone.

Anyways, I've tried every driver in this thread and even went so far as to going to the original manufacturer of the GPU (Gigabyte)'s website and got their brand of the drivers and it still hasn't fixed the issue.

Could the GPU itself be missing the framework for OpenGL or something? I really have no clue what else I could do apart from either reformatting and seeing where that takes me or getting yet another GPU.

The games keep saying something about the C++ Visual Runtime or with the idtech games something about an invalid OpenGL whatever.

Before I switched GPUs, every single one of these games ran perfectly fine so it has nothing to do with my CPU or anything.

Deakul

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I only bumped it to tell everyone that the problem has been fixed.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with that, so go ahead and close the thread I suppose.