How to proceed. Upgrade? Swap? Console?

grindymct

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: I will finish my university courses around the end of April.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Gaming and Gaming

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: ATI Radeon HD 4870 and OCZ Gamestream 500W PSU

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Intel Pentium Dual Core E5700, Gigabyte P45 Motherboard Socket 775 DDR2, OCZ SLI DDR2-800MHz, Cheapie Case, WD Velociraptor 160Gb, WD Caviar Black 1TB

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: NCIX.Com or CanadaComputers.com (Canada... obviously lol)

PARTS PREFERENCES: Whatever

OVERCLOCKING: Sure SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Doubt I have the PSU required

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1366x768 (Sony Bravia KDSL-3000 720P)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: So I start my MBA next Fall and I will have little (if any) time for gaming however for 5 blissful months I will be able game my butt off. I really want to be able to finish up the Mass Effect series with my original sheppard. I doubt my current system will be able to pull it off I don't want to spend more than $400 bucks (i.e. my wife doesn't want me to spend more than $400 bucks.) So the options I see that I have are....

A) Upgrade Motherboard, CPU, RAM to an i5-2400, Gigabyte Mobo and a 8MB DDR3-1600 RAM and keep the existing Radeon HD4870

B) Look for used used Quad Core, Core 2 LGA775 CPU, OC RAM to 1066MHz, buy a Radeon HD6850

C) Say goodbye to PC gaming and buy a Playstation 3

Any thoughts on which option would serve me best? "Sack up an put your wife in place" isn't an option :p

Daist

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

Dude, with this resolution you will never need SLI or CrossFire, one modern GPU is more than enough.

grindymct

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Thanks for the replies guys. I will be sticking with 1366 x 768 as that's my flatscreen's native resolution. Daist if I upgrade my mobo processor and ram do you think the HD4870 would be enough for 2012 games?

Zero_

Distinguished
I suggest you wait till the end of March to make a decision on this. Save up until then. There will probably be price cuts across the board by then.

i3 2100 + H61 board + 8GB RAM + HD7770 should give you better gameplay than a PS3 at that resolution. All that should cost less than $350 by April.

grindymct

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Hey Zero, thanks for the input. Do you think a dual core processor will cut it? Or are games still not optimized for quad core?

Also, you think the Radeon HD4870 won't cut it?

Zero_

Distinguished
Considering the alternative of a PS3, the Core i3 2100 is more than sufficient for the job.

The HD4870 is now 3 generations old. In tech terms, it's a dinosaur. While it will give you decent framerates, you will lose one of the key factors that makes PC gaming superior, the visual quality.