bluesteak

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
I recently started a thread here in the Homebuilt section. All my 'starter' questions can be found there.

I'm posting here because I've been using this great article on Graphics Card Hierarchy and was wondering; how low should I go? Given that the recommendation on the article is, "I don’t recommend upgrading your graphics card unless the replacement card is at least three tiers higher," I can't stop thinking that I should get the 3rd tier down and be safe for awhile. Would that be overkill? I'm not building a supreme gaming machine, but it should be able to hold its own with the newer games. I lean toward the GeForce cards btw.

I have decided that I'll be going 1080p monitor, either 24" or 27". Also I plan on using this MOBO, but I havent received any feed back on that choice yet. It has a build in GPU and I would like to use the SLI capability on the MOBO with a new card. Also this board uses DDR3 memory but I've seen GDDR5 on some videocards and I'm not exactly sure of the difference/compatibility. Lastly, I get a little nervous about all the parts/slots being compatible, I don't want to order some expensive paperweights.

Thanks everyone.

Don't worry about DDR3 and GDDR5 things, because DDR3 is system memory and GDDR5 is graphics memory. They are different things and doesn't depend on each other and you can run them together no problem.

The motherboard is compatible, and if you are worried about onboard graphics, just make sure you plug the monitor cable to the card, not the motherboard. Because if you put it or plug it to the motherboard the system would boot to the integrated graphics. So when you plug in the cable from the monitor to the card the system would boot to the graphic cards. And one more thing, if you don't have the kind of cable of your monitor in the card, get yourself a suitable adapter for you.

For a mid-range gaming system I'd recommend 6850 or GTX 460 1GB and above. Get the GTX 460 because you said you are a geforce fan :).

bluesteak

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Thanks for the reply. Even when I go monitor to card will I still be able to use my build in gpu? One of the categories I used to select the MOBO was having HDMI, but I guess that wasnt so important as long as the videocard has it, correct?