• Nvidia
  • Graphics Cards
  • PCI Express
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 5, 2012 5:31:26 PM

Hi,

i bought a new video card for my desktop a nvidia geforce 8400 gs 512mb ddr2

i put the new graphics card into the pci-e slot and plugged the monitor into the correct slot.

then restarted the computer and it freezes on the compaq startup page and wont do anything. i can select f1 to go into bios menu if i do it before it freezes and have done so and selected the computer to run graphics from the pci-e and then saving and exiting but still freezes.

i have tried to select onboard graphics from bios and then saving and running but still freezes.

i have removed the graphics card and then runs ok.

the graphics card gets warm.

my system meets the minimum requirements according to the box,

my system is the following

compaq presario sr1000
1gb ddr ram
pentium 4 2.7ghz
300w

please help...

More about : graphics card problems

a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 9:29:32 PM

I would RMA. It sounds like a bad card.
January 5, 2012 9:56:38 PM

Is there a power plug on the card? the PSU is likly the culprit...
Related resources
January 6, 2012 6:14:51 PM

no the card is powered from the pci-e slot i think, there is a small 2 pin slot on the card but i have nothing that fits in to it.

i have updated the PSU to 680W but still does not get past BIOS page and freezes, any other ideas?
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2012 6:18:03 PM

I think it is just a bad card. Can you return it for another card? Also, can you test it in another machine?
January 6, 2012 6:55:24 PM

no other machine to test but i will return it to the store tomorrow to exchange it.

do bad cards happen often?

does it matter my computer motherboard has DDR ram in it as it older but the gaming card is 512 ddr2??
a b Î Nvidia
a c 291 U Graphics card
January 6, 2012 6:56:41 PM

System ram has nothing to do with graphics card ram.
January 6, 2012 7:03:31 PM

good was just checking, is there anything else it could be apart from bad card?
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2012 7:04:24 PM

dan1983 said:
no other machine to test but i will return it to the store tomorrow to exchange it.

do bad cards happen often?

does it matter my computer motherboard has DDR ram in it as it older but the gaming card is 512 ddr2??

Good. No, bad GPUs do not happen often, but they can. System memory is separate from VRAM. Although, if you want to game, that card is not very powerful.
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2012 7:05:49 PM

dan1983 said:
good was just checking, is there anything else it could be apart from bad card?

Maybe the PSU, but I believe that card needs a 250w, which I am pretty sure you would have at least that. What do you have? Also, it could be a bad PCI-E slot, but there really isn't anything you can do about that besides return it.
January 6, 2012 7:08:53 PM

ive upgraded my psu to 680W so cant be that :) 

i have never used the pci-e slot before so that should be ok as used onboard graphics before.
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2012 7:28:41 PM

dan1983 said:
ive upgraded my psu to 680W so cant be that :) 

i have never used the pci-e slot before so that should be ok as used onboard graphics before.

Well, I am saying maybe the PCI-E slot what just dead before you used it. Probably not, but you never know.
January 6, 2012 7:31:09 PM

the graphics card gets warm in the slot so i am guessing power does go through it etc
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2012 7:48:32 PM

dan1983 said:
the graphics card gets warm in the slot so i am guessing power does go through it etc

Oh yeah, haha. I am stupid.
January 7, 2012 1:12:06 PM

well i exchanged my card but they didnt have the same one so went for another model, this does the same and freezes at the start up page, it actually registers the card as when you start the computer up it shows the graphics cards details then goes to load page where you can select the bios page and freezes there again.

it cant be the pci-e slot as the card has a fan on it so i know power is getting to it

any ideas?
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2012 2:13:29 PM

Wow, that is really weird... :( 

I don't even know where to start now......................

Can you get into the BIOS? Also, maybe take the card out, get the drivers for the card, and then put the card in.
January 7, 2012 2:22:23 PM

still can get into the bios

you cant install the drivers without the card in as it says i cant - is there a way around this?
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2012 2:45:53 PM

dan1983 said:
still can get into the bios

you cant install the drivers without the card in as it says i cant - is there a way around this?

Okay, take the card out, use your integrated GPU to get on the internet and get the drivers for the new card. Then plug in the new card.

Also, try getting into the BIOS and enabling PCI-E GPUs, or boot to PCI-E first instead of CPI, AGP, or iGP.
!