Volklskier25

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

r_00n

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Says one of the rails is 12v @ 34a so that's roughly 408 watts although I don't believe it will produce that much power for an extended period so I'd go with a conservative rating of 380watts continuous. That's 380 watts for your CPU, GPU, and other peripherals. The max power draw of a 6870 is around 130 watts so if your not over clocking like crazy on your CPU you should be fine.

According to Newegg specs on that PSU its only 17A on the 12V rail which is nothing when it comes to running a mid range GPU. I would not trust any <$25 power supply to run any dedicated card anyway. Don't try it you will regret it and maybe kill your motherboard.

r_00n

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
I really think that's a misprint, no way they would rate a PSU @ 500 watts when it barely puts out 200 on the 12v, the official site said 34A on the 12v which sounds more plausible. The reviews are quite awful for that PSU though so you might want to consider something else. Also the pSU only comes with 1 6pin/8pin connector so your going to need a molex adapter or something.

Diablotek makes PSU-shaped objects, which should never be attached to delicate electronics if there is any chance they will be plugged into an A/C power source at the same time. I'm not sure I've ever read a competent technical review of one that didn't burn well under its labeled rating.
A quality 500W PSU like an Antec Earthwatts would be a suitable choice. In any case, do get a real PSU. A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification for efficiency. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands.

I can't imagine DiaBLOWtek as an upgrade to anything.

jtt283 is preaching the gospel here. :D

No way I trust a Diablowtek

You got to look at the pictures, the label especially, not Neweggs description, they are capable of mistakes.

17a , 34a, still no way I trust a Diablowtek

Volklskier25

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I bought this power supply based on price, and because it was the minimum wattage needed. Hopefully im going to hook up the card tonight, and if it does not power the card, ill probably buy a new power supply. Any suggestions on good power supplys at around 50$ and 600-700 watts, with 2 6pin pcie connectors?

Since I have never heard of a DIABLOTECH power supply I am wondering where you live , are you in the USA or another country where your choices are limited. A good power supply is Antec , Corsair , Seasonic , something the has a rating of 80% Bronze at a minimum.

Volklskier25

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Im also wondering if it es even worth the risk of running the card on the diablotek untill the new power supply comes. Hopefully, im going to order it tonight, so it would only be running for 3-4 days max

The thing with power supplies is that if it is underpowered then the video card will shut down or the power supply will shut down. The other thing that could happen espscially with low quality brands is it could either blow up or catch fire. That's not to say that your power supply will do that but with low quality it is a possibility and that is that reason to go with a good quality psu , they will have automatic voltage protection and that will save your components.
I had a good quality psu start billowing smoke from it because of a defect and it shut down without damaging anything inside the computer. So I will never buy a low quality and I will never buy just enough of a psu. If I need 600w then I'm buying a 750w , I always like the idea of having extra. I do realize that not everybody has extra money and they may have a strict budget and you have to get what you can afford.

Volklskier25

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Just quickly tried it HDMI output,worked fine, but decided not to risk it for more than 10 minutes. Nothing fried that i can tell, and i unplugged the 6pin connector from the card. CPU and everything else are okay.

r_00n

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

Thanks bro didn't notice that.