What CPU would support this?

As long as your MB had the required PCI-e slot, it should work with the current cpu.

A faster cpu would not hurt, but is not "needed" to make the video card work.

What you need is a free(unused or the same slot as the last video card if it was pci-e x16) x16 PCI-e slot on your motherboard.

And you need a sufficient power supply to run it as well. Nvidia recommends 500 watts, but that depends on the rest of the system. A quality(plenty of 12 volt amperage unlike some cheap 500 watt units with less 12 volt amperage then a 300 watt unit) 400 watt(this leaves some extra room) unit should be fine for more users.

Gallarian

Distinguished
Also, make sure your PSU is compatible - it needs to be of a certain Wattage (Nvidia recommend 500w for the linked graphics cards, though this is probably a little high) and it needs the required cables - in the case of a 560, 2 6pin are needed.

The antec power supply will work. it has 444 watts @ 12 volts(444 / 12 = 37 amps).

The blue slot is PCI-e x16(with a lock).
The small white one is PCI-e x1
The lower slots are PCI(32 bit)

I will see what else is in the price range for power supplies.
For the price, it seems good from what else is in the wattage/price range

Unfortunately, you may(will) get some bottle necking with the video card/cpu combo.

How much will depend of the game and its settings. Some games want more video power and others want more cpu power(GTA4, Lost Planet for instance get a good boost from more cpu power and even more cores). It is a hard balancing act at times.

If you are open to some overclocking, you may be able to push the cpu speed to gain some performance.

There will always be a slowest component, a bottleneck, I wouldn't worry about it. You will be in a better place for when you do want to upgrade your CPU.

I am with 13thmonkey on this one. Try it and see how it works. If you want more, then it is time to look for some more cpu power or overclocking it.

I word of warning. LGA 775 cpus are not easy to find(since they have been replaced many years back), so it may not be worth upgrading the cpu either way.

In the future, you next upgrade may be to a more modern platform that even lower end cpus will be faster. Not calling your system THAT old. I still have a Core2 system and it works fine.

As cpus change over time they place a new socket or LGA(land grid array) on the board.

LGA 775 was the socket for the last P4's to the Core2 Quad cpus.

It was replaced with LGA 1366 I7 and LGA 1156 I5/I7 ect
that was replaced with LGA 2011 I7 and LGA 1155 I5/I7 ect

Its kind of a cycle of life thing.

In the future, yes. For now, you may be surprised just how much improvement a new card gives you.

If you look hard, you may be able to find other cpus, but as said, see how you like the card alone as an upgrade. computer parts just get cheaper. so when it is time to upgrade, you will get even better for less. or even more for the same price.

Old power supplies used a switch to swap from 120 to 240 volts. This is no longer needed as the power supply will handle that range on its own.

Please do get am image of this if you see it again.

Also, check the voltage in the hardware monitor section of the bios to see what it has them listed as.

stewie1million

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012

Finally got the screen again :S http://i.1dl.us/vGA.jpg

I have only seen this kind of message(not the exact but close) when a computer looses power before finishing its post of even if you power off in the bios.

In the old days, freezing while posting due to overclocking was a pain resulting in a need to open the case and clear the cmos. Most boards now can recover with safe settings if they have frozen. They do not know the difference between user powering off and a freeze.

Now if this does not apply to you, please enter the bios and see if you can find the cpu voltage, it will be under hardware monitor or system health on most systems.

stewie1million

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012

It happens when i reboot... i'm not overclocking