Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First time PC build - HTPC

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 9, 2012 1:58:34 AM

Hello,

I have never built a system before. I know the basics of PC and was wondering with the help and community out there could be done.
I came across this HTPC supercombo on newegg: This is not something i would buy but purchase individual items that I need only from newegg.

Usage: Blu-ray, Streaming movies from Netflix and Amazon, Record TV, may be occassional gaming, etc..

1x Moneual Black Aluminum MonCaso 320B Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case (Model:MonCaso 320B)

$249.99

1x GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard (Model:GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3)

$119.99

1x SAPPHIRE 100324L Radeon HD 6570 2GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card (Model:100324L) (If I get the i3 instead of the i5 would I still need this?)

$59.99

1x AVerMedia AVerTVHD Duet - PCTV Tuner (A188 - White Box) MTVHDDUWB PCI-Express x1 Interface (Model:MTVHDDUWB) (DO I really need this, if I am buying Ceton)

$64.99

1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 Quad-tuner Card for Watching Digital Cable TV on the PC, PCI-Express x1 Interface (Model:InfiniTV 4)

$198.99

1x Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-650 650W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified, Modular Design, Single +12V Rail, ATX12V v2.31/EPS12V v2.92, SLI Ready, CrossFire Ready, Active-PFC Power Supply (Model:Hive-650)

$79.99

1x Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K (Model:BX80623I52500K)

$224.99

1x G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR (Model:F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR)

$47.99

1x Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 2TB 5900 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (Model:ST2000DL003)

$119.99

1x Microsoft JR9-00011 Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows (Model:JR9-00011)

$43.99 (will not get this..since already have it)

1x LG Black 12X Super Multi Blue with 3D Playback & M-DISC Support SATA WH12LS39 LightScribe Support (Model:WH12LS39)

$79.99


My budget is 900 Max. The total of the above is something like 1150 or something. What can I get rid off that still gets the bang for the buck. I have seen the moneual case and thats the one I want. So any help on other things would be helpful.
-pran2k

More about : time build htpc

a b B Homebuilt system
March 9, 2012 2:40:04 AM

Pardon me for saying, but $250 for an HTPC case seems an awful lot for a budgeted HTPC system. Just my opinion.

Anyway:

1) Save $50 by going with a lesser motherboard. Still more than what you need for an HTPC.
GIGABYTE GA-H61MA-D3V LGA 1155 - $69.99
2) Save $90 by going with an Intel CoreI3 2105 processor. Solid processor and you won't need a discrete graphics card.
Intel Core I3-2105 - $134.99
3) Save $60 by not utilizing a discrete graphics card
4) Save $65 by not utilizing a OTA TV Tuner card. Assuming you have more than just basic cable, you won't need anything more than the Ceton InfiniTV4 card.
5) Save $25 by just using 4GB of RAM. For just an HTPC, you're really not going to need more than 4GB
Kingston Value 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1333 RAM - $23.99

Original Cost: $1150
Total Savings: $290
Final Cost: $860

For the record, with the exception of the graphic capabilities, your system with these modifications is a bit better than my current HTPC (see specs in my signature) and I've never had a problem with my system. I should note that the hardest I've ever pushed my system was recording two channels while simultaneously watching a third. Not even a hiccup.

-Wolf sends
m
0
l
March 9, 2012 3:46:29 PM

This is my HTPC I just built in the past month.

Case: SilverStone Aluminum/Steel Micro ATX Media Center/HTPC Case ML03B (Black) $60
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GGUAUE/ref=oh_o03_...

A Very basic case but works well enough

PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX V2 430-Watt 80 Plus $45
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W2T2TM/ref=oh_o03_...

I would recommend a modular power supply to make installation/cable management easier (cost more), but not necessary

MB: ASUS P8H61-M <REV 3.0> Intel H61 (B3) DDR3 1333 microATX Motherboard $82
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SUO144/ref=oh_o03_...

This motherboard as hdmi and optic sound output, which from me was crucial

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 3.10 GHz $190
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EBUXIA/ref=oh_o03_...

You could also use the I3 processor Wolfshadw recommend to save some more money; I couldnt resist getting a quad processor for $50 more lol

RAM:Corsair XMS3 8 GB (2 x 4GB) 1333 MHz PC3-10666 240-Pin DDR3 Memory $48
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003N8GVUY/ref=oh_o03_...

Also 4 gb would be enough and save some more money

HDD: Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST2000DL003 $120
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Intern...

subtotal Cost $545

Extras


Ceton InfiniTV 4 Quad-tuner Card $199

I have personally never used tuner cards, so going of the recommendations from Wolfshadw

Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control and Infrared Receiver for Home $14
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00224ZDFY/ref=oh_o01_...

Total Cost $759

My setup was created to stream HD, SD video from a server. This system could also handle playing gamecube roms with ease.
The only thing I would suggest to change is to buy a modular power supply, since you use at most 3-5 cables from it.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 9, 2012 5:42:07 PM


Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

I will keep you all posted :) 

Wolfshadw said:
Pardon me for saying, but $250 for an HTPC case seems an awful lot for a budgeted HTPC system. Just my opinion.

Anyway:

1) Save $50 by going with a lesser motherboard. Still more than what you need for an HTPC.
GIGABYTE GA-H61MA-D3V LGA 1155 - $69.99
2) Save $90 by going with an Intel CoreI3 2105 processor. Solid processor and you won't need a discrete graphics card.
Intel Core I3-2105 - $134.99
3) Save $60 by not utilizing a discrete graphics card
4) Save $65 by not utilizing a OTA TV Tuner card. Assuming you have more than just basic cable, you won't need anything more than the Ceton InfiniTV4 card.
5) Save $25 by just using 4GB of RAM. For just an HTPC, you're really not going to need more than 4GB
Kingston Value 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1333 RAM - $23.99

Original Cost: $1150
Total Savings: $290
Final Cost: $860

For the record, with the exception of the graphic capabilities, your system with these modifications is a bit better than my current HTPC (see specs in my signature) and I've never had a problem with my system. I should note that the hardest I've ever pushed my system was recording two channels while simultaneously watching a third. Not even a hiccup.

-Wolf sends

m
0
l
March 9, 2012 5:48:13 PM

Thanks for sharing your config. I need to go through my parts list one last time and start ordering. I will keep you all posted :) 


simonb530 said:
This is my HTPC I just built in the past month.

Case: SilverStone Aluminum/Steel Micro ATX Media Center/HTPC Case ML03B (Black) $60
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GGUAUE/ref=oh_o03_...

A Very basic case but works well enough

PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX V2 430-Watt 80 Plus $45
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W2T2TM/ref=oh_o03_...

I would recommend a modular power supply to make installation/cable management easier (cost more), but not necessary

MB: ASUS P8H61-M <REV 3.0> Intel H61 (B3) DDR3 1333 microATX Motherboard $82
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SUO144/ref=oh_o03_...

This motherboard as hdmi and optic sound output, which from me was crucial

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 3.10 GHz $190
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EBUXIA/ref=oh_o03_...

You could also use the I3 processor Wolfshadw recommend to save some more money; I couldnt resist getting a quad processor for $50 more lol

RAM:Corsair XMS3 8 GB (2 x 4GB) 1333 MHz PC3-10666 240-Pin DDR3 Memory $48
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003N8GVUY/ref=oh_o03_...

Also 4 gb would be enough and save some more money

HDD: Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST2000DL003 $120
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Intern...

subtotal Cost $545

Extras


Ceton InfiniTV 4 Quad-tuner Card $199

I have personally never used tuner cards, so going of the recommendations from Wolfshadw

Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control and Infrared Receiver for Home $14
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00224ZDFY/ref=oh_o01_...

Total Cost $759

My setup was created to stream HD, SD video from a server. This system could also handle playing gamecube roms with ease.
The only thing I would suggest to change is to buy a modular power supply, since you use at most 3-5 cables from it.

m
0
l
March 9, 2012 6:06:55 PM

do what wolf said, but use the motherboard simon suggested because it uses HDMI out
m
0
l
March 12, 2012 4:29:12 AM

Ok, So I got the following for a great deal..

1. 64GB Samsung SSD
2. Kingston DDR3 4gb
3. Silverstone HTPC case
4. Antec PSU 520watt
5. LG 12x BD Writer
6. Asus P8H61-M B3 Rev 3.0
7. Win 7 Home Premium x64
8. Intel Ci3 2120 3.3GHZ

Going to get the Ceton and Seagate HDD from my next paycheck..

Put everything together and mobo led light comes on but nothing..nada..

I have connected the system via hdmi to my TV. no fans, no sounds no nothing.. spent 3 hrs checking the cabling..googling etc.. same result..

Any ideas..anyone..did i screw up the mobo, etc? I hope not..

Wolfshadw said:
Pardon me for saying, but $250 for an HTPC case seems an awful lot for a budgeted HTPC system. Just my opinion.

Anyway:

1) Save $50 by going with a lesser motherboard. Still more than what you need for an HTPC.
GIGABYTE GA-H61MA-D3V LGA 1155 - $69.99
2) Save $90 by going with an Intel CoreI3 2105 processor. Solid processor and you won't need a discrete graphics card.
Intel Core I3-2105 - $134.99
3) Save $60 by not utilizing a discrete graphics card
4) Save $65 by not utilizing a OTA TV Tuner card. Assuming you have more than just basic cable, you won't need anything more than the Ceton InfiniTV4 card.
5) Save $25 by just using 4GB of RAM. For just an HTPC, you're really not going to need more than 4GB
Kingston Value 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1333 RAM - $23.99

Original Cost: $1150
Total Savings: $290
Final Cost: $860

For the record, with the exception of the graphic capabilities, your system with these modifications is a bit better than my current HTPC (see specs in my signature) and I've never had a problem with my system. I should note that the hardest I've ever pushed my system was recording two channels while simultaneously watching a third. Not even a hiccup.

-Wolf sends

m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 13, 2012 11:21:53 AM

Sounds like either a bad power supply or motherboard.

The first thing your going to want to do is strip out all unnecessary components. All you'll need the the motherboard, cpu, 1 stick of ram and the power supply connected. Power it up and see if you get any response. If not, swap out the power supply from your current system (or if you have another spare) and try to power it up again. If that doesn't work, then I'd say you received a bad motherboard and need to RMA it.

If you do get a response (fans spin, etc...) with the replacement power supply, then you received a bad power supply and will need to RMA that.

-Wolf sends
m
0
l
March 13, 2012 10:45:28 PM

Thanks for that, will try it.


Wolfshadw said:
Sounds like either a bad power supply or motherboard.

The first thing your going to want to do is strip out all unnecessary components. All you'll need the the motherboard, cpu, 1 stick of ram and the power supply connected. Power it up and see if you get any response. If not, swap out the power supply from your current system (or if you have another spare) and try to power it up again. If that doesn't work, then I'd say you received a bad motherboard and need to RMA it.

If you do get a response (fans spin, etc...) with the replacement power supply, then you received a bad power supply and will need to RMA that.

-Wolf sends

m
0
l
March 21, 2012 2:17:29 AM

I still have not gotten a hold of spare PSU meanwhile just plugged the mobo, cpu, heatsink+fan, 1 stick of RAM and the mobo led comes on, when its plugged in this way should the cpu fan start? The setup is powered but the computer has to be turned on for the fan to start correct?

Also when I removed the CPU noticed the heatsink sitting on top of the CPU had etched some metal on the top of the CPU, is this usually happen, was I supposed to apply that paste before I installed the heatsink?

Many thanks,
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 21, 2012 9:14:15 PM

Without either a spare PSU or PSU tester, there's really no way that I know of, to determine which is defective.

The heat sink you received should have come with thermal paste pre-applied (unless purchased used). Once you install the CPU Heat Sink/Fan assembly, any time you remove it, you must remove the currently applied thermal paste and re-apply new paste.

-Wolf sends
m
0
l
!