High-End Build - $3000 or so - Need some suggestions

superslacker

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Hello all,

I've been doing a bit of research the past few weeks and further suggestions would be appreciated. I just want to make sure everything is compatible. I live in China and will be buying the parts over a period of time and expanding along the way.

CPU - i7 3930k

Motherboard - Asus Extreme Rampage IV

Case - Thermaltake Element V nVidia Edition

PSU: TBD (suggestions welcome: Corsair, Antec, Thermaltake, and OCZ are available here to name a few)

Primary HDD: OCZ Agility 3 120gb

Storage Drive: TBD (suggestions welcome)

Video: Asus GTX 590 (one for now, will be buying a second to SLI)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 or Corsair Hydro H100 (have not decided yet)

Optical Drive: TBD

My primary goal is to get the barebones built, overclocked, and stable. Afterward I will be adding in more components, drives, etc. as time and energy allow. Any and all comments/suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Solution

I don't think you can go wrong with...

dadof1hunter

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
With 3k I would consider Water cooling it. What is your Monitor set up look like? Two 590's isn't any better then 1 unless your running Triple 23" monitors.
I love Corsair PSU's, You would need a 1200w if your really going 2 590's..

I don't like that Case. I've build in Thermaltake befor, and I've always been disappointed with quaility. They Build Gimicky instead of quality.

Corsair 800D is incredibly built.

If you get h100(I have it in mine, and love it) I suggest getting a Scythe 4ch. Fan Controller so you can controll the 4 fans, because on max the H100 with most fans is loud, and doesn't cool any better then the same thing at 50%. I like the Cougar 120mm fans for this.

phenom90

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
that much money... but i would still recommend going for sandy/ivy bridge over 3930k....

cpu: intel core i5 2500k

mobo: asrock p67 extreme4 gen3

ram: gskill sniper 8GB F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2

hsf: corsair a70

dvd rom: any would do great....

ssd: Plextor M3 Series PX-128M3

hdd: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB

psu: PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 950W

gpu: 2x gtx 680

case: nzxt switch 810 white

superslacker

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Monitors/GPU: I will go with 3 monitors eventually, but with the GTX 600's around the corner, I might pass on the GTX 590. Kinda tempting as I'm in no real hurry to get everything together.

I have looked at the Obsidian 800D and all the reviews I've read said it is rock solid. They do have it here in China, and my local contact does endorse it. If I do go with the Obsidian, I will likely end up with a Corsair power supply and RAM as well.

As for liquid cooling, call me paranoid, but if something does ever go wrong and something leaks, I would not be happy. But if I do go with the Corsair Hydro H100, I will look for the Scythe 4 ch. Fan Controller as well.

The i-7 3930k is Sandy Bridge.

dadof1hunter

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012

I don't think you can go wrong with Corsair. Functionality/Quality/Looks their top notch... Sometimes I like to look into my case and see how pretty it is..

I've had bad luck with Corsair Dominator RAM, when overclocking my last PC, and went with the more tried and tested g.skill this build... but honestly sometimes its a crap shoot.. Sometimes you get great DIMMS sometimes you get poop.

The NEW Intel CPU's are the TOCK, part of the TICK-TOCK cycle of INTEL, and if history is any indicator the new Ivy Bridge is going to be just SLIGHTLY better then SANDY Bridge for a much more premium price.

Lack of Pressure from AMD has allowed INTEL to get lax on their improvements, they hit a home run with Sandybridge, and AMD's closest thing can hardly keep up with a 2500k even if its Overclocked into oblivion, but the 2500k is a better overclocker, and once tweaked up AMD looks like a joke. AMD has 5 years to put some pressure on INTEL or AMD is going to be only in Office PC's.

Solution