Help - my router keeps dropping my connection!

OzBarry

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
Hello, fellow forum'ers,

I'm a bit of a techy, but this has stumped me for the past few days, since I changed my ISP (I don't know if that has anything to do with it).
I have my network setup so I have a seperate modem (tp-link td-8616), which is connected to my router (asus wl-520gu) and do most of my computing from my computer (running Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium, wired network). I had installed tomato firmware onto my router, which was working fine with my first ISP. I changed companies about a week ago, and noticed my connection kept being dropped. At first, I thought it was an issue with my ISP, so I called them up, and didn't find a solution. Afterwards, I started doing some trouble shooting on my own, and noticed my modem was still connected (via the WAN LED, at least), even though my router disagreed. So, I tried connecting directly to my modem and my connection would be fine without any issue at all, so I thought I'd trouble shoot the router. I switched back to the factory asus firmware, connected it back to my modem, and after a while, it disconnected my LAN connection again. My router comes with this somewhat annoying interface that tells me the issue is "You have set the wrong dynamic or static IP address for your wl-520gu." So, I investigate that, and here is the setup:
My modem is statically 192.168.1.1 when I directly connect to it, so I left that setting alone.
My router is also 192.168.1.1, but this was how tomato worked, so I'm not sure that this is the conflict, so I tried setting it to 192.168.1.2, which does not seem to fix the problem.
My DHCP settings are set so connecting computers are 192.168.1.100-254, which should avoid the conflicts.

After about 5 seconds of connectivity with that setup (modem=192.168.1.1, router=192.168.1.2), windows reports that I don't have a connection. After using Windows' trouble shooter, it says "Troubleshooting couldn't identifiy the problem"
Even with the connection problems, I'm still able to access the router web setup interface.
When I get a problem like that, I do the following in a cmd console:
ipconfig /release *
ipconfig /renew *
This will temporarily give me a good connection (literally a few seconds) then it gets buggered up. The router spits out the error "No response from the remote server" as why I couldn't visit a website. Then, randomly, I get a connection again, and from there on, the timespan of the connection is a little unpredictable.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what the issue might be? Any help is appreciated. My issue seems to be affecting both wired and wireless (although I do all my configuration on my wired pc).

Solution
Stay with Tomato or DD_WRT firmware they are more stable even ASUS advices to switch.

Then change your LAN IP of your router to 192.168.254.1

your router is confused since the WAN and LAN are using the same IP scheme.