How to show icons in true color?

October 7, 2004 12:45:07 AM

I installed XP Power toys (TweakUI) for XP, and was just playing around with
it. When I cmahged the Shortcut descriptor from "Arrow" to "Light Arrow", all
the icons were modified and are now shown using 256 colors only. Moreover
some icons has modified to the ones displayed in Win98/WinNT4.

How can I show the icons back in true colors? I searched registry for icon
properties, but unable to zero down on some specific key. can anyone suggest
something?

I am an advanced user.

More about : show icons true color

Anonymous
October 7, 2004 2:39:37 PM

Sachin,

Open Registry Editor and navigate to the following key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics]

In the right-pane, double-click Shell Icon BPP and set it's value to 16

Close Registry Editor.

You will need to restart Windows for the changes to take effect. If that
does not help, or to apply the change instantly, try this:

Right-click Desktop, choose Properties, Appearance Tab.
Click Advanced button, choose Icon from the drop-down list and set it's size
to 31 and press OK.
Close the dialog
Repeat the above steps and set the Icon size to 32 (defaults)

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

"Sachin" <Sachin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I installed XP Power toys (TweakUI) for XP, and was just playing around with
it. When I cmahged the Shortcut descriptor from "Arrow" to "Light Arrow",
all
the icons were modified and are now shown using 256 colors only. Moreover
some icons has modified to the ones displayed in Win98/WinNT4.

How can I show the icons back in true colors? I searched registry for icon
properties, but unable to zero down on some specific key. can anyone suggest
something?

I am an advanced user.
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 4:27:58 PM

How to enable autorun on hardrive on windows xp machine?
!