Gaming Computer Processor Update Help :)

yamahahornist

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
So I have a half custom gaming Desktop and I would like to upgrade its processor, but I need some help. The computer only has a 300 watt power supply :(
The Specs~
Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ (2 CPUs),~2.8GHz each core
Ram - 6 GB DDR2, motherboard wont support DDR3 :(
Graphics - AMD Radeon HD 6670 DDR5 edition (runs straight from motherboard, no 6-pin connecter)

The Computer is a HP a6330f

I would like to upgrade my cpu to a http://www.amazon.com/Phenom-Black-3-4Ghz-512KB-4000MHZ/dp/B002SRQ214/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331272648&sr=1-2 ~ Phenom II X4

I really want to upgrade to a quad core, but I dont want to buy a new power supply?? I feel maxed on power already though :(

Some help would be nice :)

Thanks for reading this :)

Hiya, what performance gains are you hoping to achieve with a CPU upgrade?

Realistically speaking the 300 watt powersupply is a downside. I know thats not what you were looking to hear, thats one of the problems with pre-built systems, they go cheap on the power supplies and leave almost no room for upgrading. The good news is, a good PSU won't run you more than 100 bucks. AND, if you get a decent one, you could use it again in a future computer build.

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
i wouldnt be to optimistic if its a hp i dont know whether they will have support for cpu changes on there boards in the way of bios updates, they lock them down pretty heavily (not to mention you wont be able to overclock a b.e. it probably on that board if you actually get bios support). if it was any other of the main non oems i would say go for it would be easy as. also power supplies arent that expensive you could probably pick up a (decent brand) low wattage one eg 400w for 50 bucks otherwise dont be suprised if you get random crashes etc