PCI wifi problems

chicagojoe16

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
I rebuilt a computer that had a fried mobo and psu. I got it up and running last night and I had no wifi problems. When I turned it on today, being connected to my wireless router makes the mouse jerky and if I try to type, it misses a lot of the keystrokes. Disconnecting from the router stops the jerky mouse and keyboard but, ya know, then I can't use the internet.

I had the problem back before the mobo and psu fried but I was able to avoid it by using the 5 ghz band. Don't ask me why but using 2.4 ghz didn't work then and it's not working now. Unfortunately, I can no longer use the work around because my current router only does 2.4.

Any ideas for fixing this? I tried to check for updated drivers for the pci card but I can't get connected to the internet....it sucks. Please help.

chicagojoe16

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
unfortunately they are both usb. And the OS is Windows 7 64 bit. I have been reading reviews of the card on newegg and it looks like it is a common complaint. Know of any good pci that work with 7 64 bit?

spankmon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
I use the very cheap Sabrent cards from Tiger Direct that are compatible with Mac and Linux. They always work (4 of them during past two years in separate builds; two of which are Windows 7 x64 and one XP) and don't seem to interfere with mouse behavior. Have you tried changing the broadcast channel on the router? Maybe your PC's power supply is fizzling out?

chicagojoe16

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011

I tried changing the router to only broadcast on 11 and it had been b/g/n so I switched it to just b/g and that seemed to help some but its still deadly slow compared to my laptop connecting to the same router. It's not the power supply cause that's brand new from Corsair. I decided on a USB adapter that I found on newegg, I'm hoping that fixes it.