Missing HDD from newly purchased used lap top

Sashtash

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Hello, I have a lap top that does not have a hard drive. I have and external hard drive. without taking the external apart and inserting it into the lap top, can I use the external as my hard dr? please type slowly, I know close to nothing about computers and I'm old

Solution

Don't worry about asking too many questions. We're here to help

If the laptop came with Windows preinstalled when the original owner purchased it then it should have a sticker attached to the bottom of the PC, it may be underneath the battery for protection. It will look something like this:

http://cdn102.iofferphoto.com/img/item/959/506/33/o_YliOiaJ2n7LZgxI.jpg

The...

Sashtash

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012

It is 1 1/2 years old and sadly I thought hd was high definition- this is so embarrassing, like when I just posted my question twice.

Technically if the COA sticker is on there they ought to be able to install that. version of the OS. or buy the restore CDs from the manufacturer for a few bucks. Since the original OS would have been OEM and belongs to the laptop

Sashtash

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012

Thank you so much. But considering I thought HD was High Definition and everyone I know thought that was clever, I am not sure what you mean by buying a new hard drive? One can get them separately? How do you know where it goes? I am just digging the hole deeper I think. Could you please just explain, where to go, what to ask for, and how to find someone to fix it?
That would be incredibly helpful and kind. Are you laughing?

Sashtash

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012

I just fainted. I am so sorry I have no idea what you are saying. OS is operating system? It says Vista near the key board. COA whew right over my head- if I have that, the store will be able to install it? OEM, not even going to try that one. Am I being a pest and overstepping my boundaries but asking all these questions? If I am, please don't hesitate to say so.

Don't worry about asking too many questions. We're here to help

If the laptop came with Windows preinstalled when the original owner purchased it then it should have a sticker attached to the bottom of the PC, it may be underneath the battery for protection. It will look something like this:

http://cdn102.iofferphoto.com/img/item/959/506/33/o_YliOiaJ2n7LZgxI.jpg

The COA is the Certificate of Authenticity and the product key can be used to reinstall the operating system (OS for short). The installation files for the operating system can be acquired free of charge from Microsoft directly by following the correct link in this article:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/microsoft_os/3316.2-1-microsoft-windows-7-official-iso-download-links-digital-river.aspx

Installing a new hard drive and operating system is a fairly easy task and can be done by someone with a nominal amount of technical knowledge. If you have any relatives (especially children or grandchildren), or family friends you should ask them.

Solution

Sashtash

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Ok COA is Certificate of Authenticity found on the bottom of the laptop. OEM , I can't find. Yes, they do sell lap top hard drives separately, geeks can install them, and I can pirate the operating system by osiing it? not sure about that one. Pirate does not sound good. I don't know what osiing is? Is it a cd?

You all have been wonderful, I think I understand (kind of ) what you are telling me. Either go out and buy a new hard drive and let the geeks install it, osi it or throw it into the sea and buy a new one. From a store. With a warranty. Yep, that just occurred to me. I don't have a warranty do I? I did everything possible to make a mess except setting myself on fire.

I am incredibly grateful, incredibly embarrassed and you truly have done your good deed for the next 10 years. Just one last thing? OEM?

Sashtash

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012

My children think this is hilarious, and since their grown I am unable to ground them. My grandchild just drools and throws mashed peas at me. But I written down what you have typed and I will bring it to the geeks. Just in case.

OEM is original equipment manufacturer. it just means the company that built the laptop. And refers to the type of windows licensing. If you have that certificate of authenticity you have the RIGHT to install that version of the operating system forever. it belongs to the laptop. So no matter how you install it, if you use that key you are NOT pirating it or doing anything illegal.

What is the manufacturer? we can get you a list to the restore disks. I don't think pinhedds links to windows 7 will work.since you said it came with vista.

Don't worry about the warranty. not sure what you payed but if you have the OS key at worst you are out a cheap laptop HDD if something goes wrong.

Sashtash

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Oh, There you are. Acer is the brand, Thank you for the OEM. But the best news of all is that I am not going to jail. So, if I have read this correctly:

I can go to a Best Buy, buy a new hard drive, have someone insert it in the proper place, buy a recovery disc and it will work because I have the COA? The COA belongs to the laptop and not the owner.

I can not believe that you actually taught an old dog a new trick. You are the most incredible people. The kindness and patience.

The absolutely worst 125.00 I have spent in my entire life to be able to play cards with my sister. And the best 125.00 I have spent to be able to get around amongst the computer world because of your help.

You are the most amazing group I have interacted with and because of that I promise not to sic all the other Luddite old ladies on you.

Thank you all again for all your help. Very bright, very polite you're parents must be so proud.

I will not take up anymore of your time. There are others that need your wonderful guidance. Plus I can't wait to brag and zap those old prudes with my new found knowledge!

Without further ado,

Thank you. Thank you.

On the forums when you choose a best answer , your question gets marked as solved.
If you have more questions that need to be answered just ask.
I will ask a moderator to reopen this thread for you.( Take away the solved notation.)

Now if you will reply with the laptop Brand and model number we can direct you to files to download for the operating system. (windows Vista )

you can order Acer recovery disks here

http://us-store.acer.com/rcd/

The solved is the main issue for people dissapearing, but the forums are voluntuntary and I personally get on my phone at work. or like today when I cant sleep LOL. so some people have a tendency to wander off and come back later