Font color on desktop icon

October 7, 2004 1:25:48 AM

Is there a way to change the color of the fonts on the
icons on the desktop?
My desktop has a white background so I want the icon text
to be black with a white background.
Can this be done?
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 11:12:20 AM

"Troglodyte" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
| Is there a way to change the color of the fonts on the
| icons on the desktop?
| My desktop has a white background so I want the icon text
| to be black with a white background.
| Can this be done?

DETAIL:
To change the "desktop icon text colour"...
1. Switch off transparent labels (= do not use drop shadows),
-AND-
2. Set the "desktop background" to a dark colour for white text, and to a light colour for dark text.

NOTE: "Background colour" does *not* mean "wallpaper".
If "drop shadows" settng is on, then "desktop icon text colour" can only be white with black outline.
If "drop shadows" settng is off, then "desktop icon text colour" can be black or white based on background colour.

METHOD:

1. For the "drop shadows" settng...
Control Panel
System
Performance Settings
Visual Effects
(*) Custom
[_] "Use Drop Shadows For Icon Labels On The Desktop"

2. For the "desktop background" settng...
Control Panel
Display
Appearance
Item: Desktop
Color 1: select an appropriate colour
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 11:12:21 AM

Sorry, I needed to explain myself better.
Now that I have had a PROPER look at my WALLPAPER, I need
to change my question!
My wallpaper is mainly white with a picture in the centre
that goes to the bottom. What I need to do is have black
text for my icons and have a clear background for the
text. The above solution works for the white parts on the
wallpaper but on the colored parts, I have a white box on
the picture. I realise the easy solution is to not put
any icons on the colored parts of the picture but I want
to and it's annoying that I can't.
Thanx for any help.
October 9, 2004 1:58:40 AM

Google-search for TransText. SP2 locks out the text-
color-change on my PC, but the little "blocks" are still
transparent. Light text appears against dark pictures &
dark text against light,even with SP2. Free download.
(TransText.exe) You'll see icons & text, only.
(Uninstaller included, for some reason.)

I'm just a guy; no MVP.

October 9, 2004 3:43:23 PM

WHAT?

You're just a Mere Voluntary Problemcouncellor????

:-))

"dangerousdan" <dangerous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Google-search for TransText. SP2 locks out the text-
> color-change on my PC, but the little "blocks" are still
> transparent. Light text appears against dark pictures &
> dark text against light,even with SP2. Free download.
> (TransText.exe) You'll see icons & text, only.
> (Uninstaller included, for some reason.)
>
> I'm just a guy; no MVP.

October 31, 2013 7:15:48 AM

Thanks much for the post. This is one of those things rarely change, but can't dig it out of my brain.
!