PC won't start with Radeon X1600

impossiblescissors

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Hello all,

I recently bought a used Radeon X1600 that was supposed to be in working condition. I plugged it into my AGP slot and turned my PC on. Initially the PC turned on but there was nothing on the display. (PC went through the boot process as usual, just with no video.) After shutting down I noticed that I was supposed to plug in a power connector from my power supply to the graphics card.

After powering down, removing the power cable, removing the card, attaching the power supply connector (I have a 430W power supply,) reinserting the card, plugging in the power cable and pressing the power button, I get nothing. A power light comes on for a fraction of a second, the CPU fan stops and it just dies. It seems like the card is trying to draw too much current. The PC works fine with other video cards.

After inspecting the card, I found a damaged pin on the connector. This leads me to ask three questions to the experts on this board:
1) Did I damage the card the first time when I ran it without the power connector attached?
2) Is the damaged pin causing the PC to not power on?
3) Is there a way I could fix the damaged pin with reasonable effort and skill with soldering?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_7473.jpg

tsd16

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I would think even if your PSU wasnt supplying enough power (The wattage should be fine, the amperage on the 12v rail might not be) that it would at least boot windows, but I could be wrong. Unfortunately I dont know if the damage on that contact would cause the issue.