xXZeboXx

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Hi
This is my very first post on this site.So sorry if I did/doing something wrong.
Introduction:First of all HI :) I am new to pc gaming (was an xbox junkie).And I must say pc is awesome.I live in South Africa,Yes I am white,and no I don't live next to a lion.:p I just finished my new/first build it's pretty basic so no criticism from gtx580 users;)
Here we go:
Motherboard:Msi 880gms e35
Ram:4gb
Phenom x4 945 @stock 3.00Ghz
GPU:Nvidea geforce gtx550ti
PSU:450w
And a 20'' lcd samsung.
My question is how to improve this build by not replacing anything or atleast under $100.00.Sorry I am new to this,I was thinking about getting more ram.Or if I must would a 23''lcd Acer improve visuals?
Thanks for any replies :bounce:

The biggest thing you can do is overclock that X4 945. Add a good CPU cooler and an overclock to 3.6GHz - 3.8GHz and you will see a good improvement. Maybe add a 10% overclock to the GTX 550ti as well (or 15%). Memory is cheap so if you can find a matching set to get to 8GB then go ahead, however this very well may not be needed. Check your memory usage when you are gaming and have a few different apps open to see if you are using up the 4GB you have now.

xXZeboXx

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Hi
Ok thanks for the reply it is much appreciated.But the thing is I don't want to overclock(don't want to take that risk with my new pc.)If it helps my monitor is 1600x900 and the 23'' is full HD would I see a major improvement?

Yes. I would think you would see a significant improvement.

The main risk in overclocking is too much voltage and heat. Overclocking the X4 has been done enough times that we can safely say that a good stable overclock can be easily be had with little to no risk to your hardware. The aftermarket CPU cooler is what keeps your temps in check. Search around for some overclocking guides. It is a pretty painless process barring the testing needed...

morgoth780

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011

yes, but no where near as high as with an aftermarket cooler since stock coolers are generally pretty crappy