Closed

Default Window Size

Is there any way (including using RegEdit) to change the
DEFAULT size of a folder window when a NEW folder is
created.

The default window size in XP is far too big, and I end up
resizing every window I create. Windows 95 and ME allowed
the user to set the default size with "Folder Options ->
View -> Apply to All Folders"; the current folder size
being stored with everything else. But with XP the folder
size was omitted.

At first I though this was an oversight, something that
would be fixed in the next revision. But I just installed
SP 2 and saving the folder size is still broken.

Can anyone suggest a fix before Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
sets in?
8 answers Last reply
More about default window size

    Hi

    Drag the window to the size you want it, then close that window via
    File>Close/Exit.

    --

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Richard McConnell" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any way (including using RegEdit) to change the
    > DEFAULT size of a folder window when a NEW folder is
    > created.
    >
    > The default window size in XP is far too big, and I end up
    > resizing every window I create. Windows 95 and ME allowed
    > the user to set the default size with "Folder Options ->
    > View -> Apply to All Folders"; the current folder size
    > being stored with everything else. But with XP the folder
    > size was omitted.
    >
    > At first I though this was an oversight, something that
    > would be fixed in the next revision. But I just installed
    > SP 2 and saving the folder size is still broken.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a fix before Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
    > sets in?

    Thanks for the quick repsonse

    That will change the stored size for that existing folder,
    but it will not change the size of any NEW folders that
    are created.

    Also, changing window sizes this way forces XP to store a
    registry key for every window that is resized, and
    eventually a limit is reached. Better to have a DEFAULT
    size changed.

    1. Size your window to your liking
    2. Press 'ctrl' key and at the same time click on the 'close window
    button', normally on the top right of your window.

    3. This will save both the window position and size as well as your image
    preferences... icon, thumbnail, etc.

    Hope this helps

    "Richard McConnell" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any way (including using RegEdit) to change the
    > DEFAULT size of a folder window when a NEW folder is
    > created.
    >
    > The default window size in XP is far too big, and I end up
    > resizing every window I create. Windows 95 and ME allowed
    > the user to set the default size with "Folder Options ->
    > View -> Apply to All Folders"; the current folder size
    > being stored with everything else. But with XP the folder
    > size was omitted.
    >
    > At first I though this was an oversight, something that
    > would be fixed in the next revision. But I just installed
    > SP 2 and saving the folder size is still broken.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a fix before Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
    > sets in?

    Thanks for the response. But this doesn't help.

    What you suggest stores the size of the CURRENT EXISTING
    folder. What I am tring to do is change the size of the
    DEFAULT folder, the intial size that will be applied to
    any NEW folder that is created.

    If I could change this, then I wouldn't have to resize
    every window I create, and the registry wouldn't have to
    keep track of so many folders.

    Windows 95 and ME had the ability to do this.

    Okay...

    If that is the case, then:

    1. Organize your window to your liking, then click on the toolbar icon or
    menu command 'folder options'...

    2. Click on 'view tab'

    3. Apply to all folders...

    I think this is what you want...

    > Thanks for the response. But this doesn't help.
    >
    > What you suggest stores the size of the CURRENT EXISTING
    > folder. What I am tring to do is change the size of the
    > DEFAULT folder, the intial size that will be applied to
    > any NEW folder that is created.
    >
    > If I could change this, then I wouldn't have to resize
    > every window I create, and the registry wouldn't have to
    > keep track of so many folders.
    >
    > Windows 95 and ME had the ability to do this.

    What you suggested worked with Windows 95 and ME, but
    doesn't work with XP.

  7. I realize this is an old thread, but the problem remains, so...

    In Windows XP Home (and some other versions), how can one change the default size of newly-created folder windows within Windows Explorer from the system default of 800x600 pixels?

    Note:

    * Not Internet Explorer

    * Not solved by an "SP" or other update

    * Not caused by malware or virus

    Every forum I can find where this question is asked, no working answer is given. Only these bad answers are given:

    * resize any folder window and close it (doesn't solve the problem stated).

    * resize any folder window and close it while holding the CTRL (or SHIFT) key (doesn't solve the problem stated).

    * resize any folder window and, in Folder Options, click the "Apply to all windows" button (doesn't solve the problem stated).

    * make Windows Explorer open maximized (doesn't solve the problem stated).

    Curious how something so simple doesn't seem to have a workaround.
  8. Please do not necro post.

Configuration Default Customization Windows XP