Help with my core upgrade

filipe19santana

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Hello,
I am trying to play swtor, which is pretty CPU heavy.
ATM Im being bottleneck by my processor(I think) which is a pentium D 2.8 mghz(2 of these). While my you is the ATI RADEON hd 4790 1024 mb,which is far superior to the CPU and for someone that doesn't care about about quality of graphics but wants a smooth fps game play it's enough.
So I have the
Option of getting a core2 due( don't know which but I was told that was superior to the i3 one in speed.)....or an i3.
My budget is small and limited and the mobo and ram for the i3 kinda make me go over it.
And with the core2 duo I could still use my ddr2 ram and only buy the
Mobo for it.

So would a top core2duo surpass my pentium d enough for me to actualy play swtor above 20 fps?having a small budget and all.

filipe19santana

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

are u sure about it m8?because on the http://www.systemrequirementslab.com website i get far from every minimum requirement on the game..scept on the cpu which is way below the minimum.

gbu minimum:256 MB of on-board RAM and Shader model 3.0 or better support (ATI Radeon X1800 or better, NVIDIA GeForce 7800 or better, Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better).

cpu minimum-AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better, Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0 GHz or better

so with the a top core 2 duo ate 3.3 GHZ(wich still score benchmarks aove the lowest i3) wouldnt it be good?

remember i jsut want to play the game smoothly(30-40) fps ..specialy in pvp.All the grqaph presets can be on the lowest and everything(bloom..shadows etc) off

I only know that atm i get better fps at the highets possible graph presets and resolution(and its still 20-30)

if i go to th elowest resolution and lowst raphics preset i get worst fps(10-15)..i Learned from some readint that thats a clear sign of cpu bottleneck..since on the lowest graph presets the gpu is sending way more info to the cpu and he cnat handle it.

(sorry im a huge noob when it comes to computer stuff..all i know its form reading and asking in forums :) ty for your insight though)

filipe19santana

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
ohh and i also read that mmos are more cpu intensive(usualy).

anyway..atm only my cpu is BELOW minimums...and theres still that High grph ppresets to LOW efect that points to a cpu botleneck

TRENDING THREADS