reaxion

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
I have an Intel core 2 extreme processor in my PC and i was wondering if it is still capable of playing the latest games at an acceptable frame rate? Please comment, an upgrade is being considered and please add recommendations. battlefield 3 runs well still but i don't know how long this CPU will last...

axe1592

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Yes its still capable especially if paired with a strong GPU. You wont get the same performance out of your system as you would with something like an Ivy Bridge chip but you can still get very good performance.

It is starting to get awfully long in the tooth so if youre contemplating an upgrade, might not be a bad time. Those Ivy Bridge procs are beauties.

axe1592

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
What kind of games are you playing now and how is their performance? If youre still getting really good frame rates in all your games and not having any issues, might as well just sit and save up some more cash so you can go all out.

If youre struggling in games right now and money is tight, Id go for a better GPU first as thatll give you the biggest performance boost right now. Then save up the cash for the motherboard, CPU, RAM and OS swap.

reaxion

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
The cards have there ups and downs, they run really hot sometimes and frame rates are acceptable, but if i want an improvement u recommend a gpu upgrade first, any thoughts in what? i have about 350 to spare atm i just dont want to create a bottleneck

lycros

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
If I were in your shoes, I'd probably wait it out until I could afford a whole new system or my current gear couldn't cut it anymore.

Who knows, black friday in 5 months :p new tech good prices