Is a GTX 580 really worth it right now?

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
these cards are still so expensive....and it seems like they keep giving us new cards with very little performance gains (ie. gtx 480 to gtx 580)...is spending $500 on a gtx 580 worth it right now? is it really 3x better than a cheap gtx 560 (non ti) ?

TheFNCount

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Honestly, I had a computer with a GTX 480 ( now use x2 6970 ICEQ), it works fine, it ran everything. BF3, it runs smoother on medium-high settings. So as long as your not looking for the absolute best Graphics. No, it is not worth the upgrade. As far as 3-way SLI 560 ti config being stomped be 2 580s, my opinion is that that is false. a 3-way SLI 560 ti (which isnt that much more than 2 wy SLI in performance) is just below or equal to 2 580s (depending on the 560 ti you choose)

Only you can decide worth.
Graphics configurations give you better performance and more consistency, the more you pay, but you get diminishing returns for each incremental dollar spent.

Deeks

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
I would have to agree with swolern here. from the leaked benchmarks we have seen it seems the 7970 is worth the wait. Then again though you never really know until the card is out! I am also a nvidea fanboy and own a 580. I will note that if you have the cash and want a beefier single card solution definitely go with the best but if your looking more for best value for your dollar in terms of gpu power the 580gtx is not for you.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

Its ok dude when the 680 comes out around April I believe we are going to have a new crowned champ. Ive read @ it & its suppose to have 80% more performance than the 580. We will see.

Red Team FTW

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012

It will just be the same when 6xx series release Nvidia has never be about Value they are about giving a minimal amount more for allot more money.

lol 80% increase! That would be sweet, but obviously that is a pipe dream!
It will be a new architecture, which generally means a 20-30% increase in performance for the same TDP over the previous one. The performance gains from the 480 to 580 was minimal because it is the same architecture. It was the same story from the 8800, 9800, and 2x0, as they were all very similar cards (and the 8800 and 9800 were identical). The 680 will be a new architecture, and we are expecting a sizeable performance gain per TDP over the 580.
Personally I like looking at the bleeding edge and backing off a little. The best longevity/$ is somewhere in the 560TI to 570 range, but the new AMD cards will be out this month, and the new nVidia cards will be out (and will likely beat AMD) in April, so I would be hard pressed to buy a high end card now when a new high end is literally right around the corner.

choji7

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
I think people got the 80% from some slides that show a comparison of 580 vs 780. Its pretty much just speculation about slides... and those slides could've been speculation as well lol.

What I'm expecting is the 670 to be below the 7970 a small amount, the 680 to be a bit above the 7970(maybe 10% in total overall performance), and the the 690 to be some dual gpu that absolutely slaughters any one card solution out now. So about where things are now with the gtx 5xx and hd 6xxx but things will be about 20-30% better performance. Graphics technology never shoots up, its always incremental steps with each generation.

Nvidia and amd are well matched and are competitive, its not like nvidia will release a gpu of about equal price and have it be 50% better, if they make a vastly superior product, it will be vastly more expensive or amd will lower their price to stay competitive. They're both releasing new architectures, so there something be any surprises.