Shaking off the dust - building a sub-$2k gaming machine

sixtoes

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
(Feel free to skip the fluff and get to the actual build stuff below - though I did try to make it moderately entertaining.)

Back in the dark ages, I was a PC-building machine - designing and building my own rigs from back in the early Pentium days. Actually, the first system I built was a 486 DX2/66 back in 1994 (which, depressingly, means I'll likely be receiving advice from people who weren't even [strike]born[/strike] in school when I did my first build). I can remember building rigs with 3dfx cards (including the first SLI with Voodoo2s nearly 14 years ago) and the very first GeForce card (the 256). All that to say that I have - or rather, had, a history. In fact, I used to be the guy all my friends asked for advice. Until...

In 2005, I did something for which I'll probably be shunned by the TH community... I bought a Mac Pro. :pfff: It was for my business (I'm a professional photographer), and it quickly became my primary computer for every task - except gaming, of course. My PC at the time still sufficed for playing older games, but it became quickly outdated. So in 2008, I rebuilt the system: a Core 2 Duo E8400 with 4GB (though my 32-bit XP system could only see 3.25) and a GTX 260. Though it's been a reasonable gaming machine over the years, it has clearly gotten very long in the tooth and it's time to do a new build.

But here's where things get tricky. Since I haven't done a build in four years, my skills and knowledge have all faded to practically nil. After all, I use a Mac most of the time (an 8-core Nehalem w/16gb, an SSD boot and a 3 TB Striped RAID), so I never have to tweak, mod, adjust or fix anything... it just works. All the time. So you can imagine the combination of excitement and trepidation as I embark on building a gaming PC to last me for the next four to five years. :sweat:

Which is what brings me here - to Tom's and the helpful forums. I've done my research; I've looked at articles and tests, comparisons and features; I've read reviews and forum posts until my eyes started bleeding. So I'm not going into this completely blind - but I'm willing to admit that I don't have the edge that I once had... so I'm hoping you all can help me figure out if I'm on-target or not, and -- if not -- where I can make adjustments that will be most effective.

Because I'm a forum newbie, I read the sticky *How To Ask For New Build Advice* and will try to follow that template as closely as possible. Thanks in advance for your help.

====================================

Approximate Purchase Date: Almost certainly this month, probably next week. If the enthusiast or top-end Kepler GPUs were scheduled for release soon, I'd delay - but from what I could find out, that's Q4 2012 or Q1 2013.

Budget Range: $1500-$2000. The cheaper, the better - but my goal is to build a system that will last as long as possible (though I'm well aware that future-proofing is, of course, impossible). That means I'm planning on spending money on a quality case and PSU, so those can stay through the next build.

System Usage: This will be almost exclusively used for gaming, though I'll want to be able to watch Blu-Ray movies from time to time. My Mac Pro will still be my primary computer for work (Lightroom 4, HDR Efex Pro and Photoshop CS5) as well as e-mail, internet browsing, etc.

Parts Not Required: I'll retain my current Logitech keyboard, Razer Lycosa mouse, Apple 23" cinema display (1920 x 1200), speakers, and my Wireless-N adapter, so the budget does not include those parts. Also, I have a Creative SB X-Fi in my current system that I can transfer over if needed, but I understand newer mobos offer more than adequate sound (with, presumably, less annoyance than Creative's drivers and apps).

Preferred Website for Parts: newegg.com, though I'm open to suggestions.

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, Nvidia GPU

Overclocking: I'll probably not dive into OC'ing right away, but I still want the option - but only to the extent that an air-cooled system can support, as liquid-cooling is way beyond my comfort zone. Reliability is more important to me than bleeding-edge performance.

SLI: I'd rather start with one card to stay in my budget; then, in a few months, I can always add a second card if needed/desired. So the answer is "maybe, eventually".

Additional Comments: My focus is on system flexibility, longevity and overall reliability.

With all that, here's the build I'm currently considering (along with questions where applicable):

Motherboard:
EVGA Z68 FTW
This is the area where I feel the least knowledgeable. Is the Z68 really the chipset I really want? I think so, but... shrug. I know I want USB 3.0 (including a front-panel header) and SATA 6gb/s, as well as eSATA - but other than that, I'm not sure. What I know I want is reliability - so when I see a bunch of 1-star reviews with dead mobos and RMAs, I look elsewhere... regardless of performance or features. It's one thing to RMA a memory stick or even a video card, but replacing a mobo is too much of a hassle.

CPU
Intel i5 2500k
The main question here is whether it's worth $100 more to jump to the i7 2600k. I'm leaning strongly against moving off the 2500k simply because of value v. performance, but I'm open to options.

RAM
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600
If it's good enough for the $2400 Tom's build a couple months ago, it's good enough for me.

Graphics
EVGA GTX 570 1280mb
I'd initially considered a 580, but for budgetary reasons, have reverted to the 570. I'll likely never go to a dual-monitor setup, but I'll always like gaming on a large, high-res display. I'm looking at a 27" to replace my 23" Apple cinema display, but even those are still the same resolution - 1920x1200. I am considering adding a second 570 to the system in several months, but am not sure what gains I'll see, given that I'm using a single monitor. Open to thoughts on this.

Case
Corsair Obsidian 650
If I could use the case that Apple uses for its Mac Pro, I would - unbelievable ease of use, access, build quality, etc. But that's not an option, so the 650 looks like the next best bet. Yes, it's more case than I need - but its cable management and airflow are excellent, and the build quality looks rock-solid. It's pricier than other options, but it's a good deal right now ($149 after promo code and rebate).

Power
SeaSonic X-850
This definitely seems like overkill, but I want longevity and reliability. Pricewise, I'd prefer the Corsair HX750 as it's $70 cheaper, but I'm concerned that if/when I do go SLI, I'll need the extra 100w. Will I? Or can I shave $70 off here and use it better elsewhere in the build?

SSD
Corsair Force GT 120
I went SSD for boot on my MacPro two years ago when I built my Nehalem 8-core machine, and I can't ever go back to a mechanical boot drive. While I've got a 240 on my work machine, I think 120 would suffice for a boot for a gaming system. After all, it'll only hold the OS and primary apps - all the games will have to still settle for being on a mechanical. SSD users, have you found that 120 is enough? Maybe it's too much, and I can drop down to 80gb?

HDD
WD Caviar Black 1 TB
It's just unfortunate timing that I'm building a system in the middle of a hard-drive shortage, but so be it. Still, I want reliability. WD wasn't always reliable, but the last two Seagate drives I had failed in less than a year, so I'm never going back to them. I've been running 3 WD 1.0 TB drives in my MacPro (striped RAID) and they work beautifully (though they are enterprise grade devices).

ODD
LG something-or-other
While I don't need a BR-burner, the price is right and the reviews look decent.

OS - Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. Figured I don't need a link for this, since it's not really up for discussion, but it does add $140 to my budget (OEM).

Cooler
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo
It seemed to do well in the tests I've read, but this is another area where I lack thorough knowledge, so any input is appreciated.

As it stands, all the components listed above come to just under $2k after tax and shipping ($1,920.16 after mail-in rebates), so I'm pretty close to the top of my range.

Well, that about wraps it up. Thanks in advance for your input, and I hope to make my final decisions - and place my order - in the next few days. Looking forward to the build!

Solution
your answers-
i-don't worry about newegg reviews.most of them don't have proper knowledge and damage their mobos.in case you have any problem you can contact Asus.their cutomer service is good.so there should not any problem.Pro version is definitely better if you want.if you think it's right for your needs that go for it.

ii-2500k is a very powerful chip.with a good overclock you can throw any thing at it.for gaming no doubt 2500k>all IMO.it's powerful,cheap,overclocks and well and runs cool.you need a good aircooler to reach 4~4.5ghz.

iii-noctua coolers are really great.amazing performance with extreme silence.but yes 212 EVO is best bang for buck cooler.D14 is great but not worth twice the cost.if don't wanna spend so much on...
For two 570s, it is not overkill. It's the minimum though. I recommend a 900-950W PSU for 2 570s. If you were to, say, choose a Radeon 7870, then 800W would be enough, but since you're not, 950W is highly recommended.

This Lite-On DVD Burner, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289, is the best bang for buck. With you pushing $1900, I recommend the Noctua D14 Cooler, that is, if you choose to keep the 850W PSU. I would get Caviar Blue if you plan to have an SSD as your primary. If you didn't have the SSD, then Caviar Black would have been OK. That EVGA MOBO is E-ATX and the case you chose is ATX - the MOBO will not fit. I recommend the ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3.

sixtoes

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Thanks for the specific pointers, azeem40...

For two 570s, it [850] is not overkill. It's the minimum though. I recommend a 900-950W PSU for 2 570s.
So, perhaps the SeaSonic 1000, then? It's a bump up in budget by $40, but if it's worth it...

This Lite-On DVD Burner, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6827106289, is the best bang for buck.
Except that I specifically mentioned wanting Blu-Ray reading capability. The cheapest of the Blu-Ray readers (w/o burning capability) is only $20 less than the burner I listed, so I figured it was worth that small bump.

I recommend the Noctua D14 Cooler, that is, if you choose to keep the 850W PSU.
That was the other cooler in the running, based on the TH tests/reviews -- but it is $50 more than the CoolerMaster. Is it really worth more than twice the cost? And if I went with a larger PSU, how would that impact the choice of CPU cooler?

I would get Caviar Blue if you plan to have an SSD as your primary. If you didn't have the SSD, then Caviar Black would have been OK.
From what I can tell, Blacks have a longer warranty (5 v. 2 years) and similar, if not better, performance. What am I missing here? Why would I want to spend $60 more to get a Blue as opposed to Black? Don't get me wrong - I'm willing to make the right move, but I'm not sure what the rationale is behind this one.

That EVGA MOBO is E-ATX and the case you chose is ATX - the MOBO will not fit. I recommend the ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3.
Oops. Well now, that would have been a problem. Thanks for the catch. Is there a similar board to the one you suggest that comes with the USB 3.0 front panel header that I need?

sixtoes

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Thanks for the follow-up, azeeem.

I didn't realize Caviar Blue is more?

I know... doesn't make much sense, does it? But right now, the 1TB Black is $129 (w/promo code) and the Blue 1TB is $199. If it were reversed, I'd go with the Blue - but at that price, I'll stick with Black.

The ASUS MOBO I suggested should come with USB 3.0 headers.

Of course, you're right - it's got the headers on the motherboard. What I meant to express was that I wanted the cables and front panel included - the headers don't do me much good unless I have a way of getting that signal to a front panel. I did find the "Pro" version of that board and it has the bit I want, at $205. I'm a bit concerned with the number of dead board reports on both models from newegg.com users - about 10% or so seems a bit high.

Any second opinions out there? I'm grateful for azeem's help, but "in abundance of counselors there is victory".

sixtoes

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Still looking for a little help here - not sure if it's bad form to bump my own post, but I was hoping I might get a little bit of assistance on my build. Thanks in advance!

sixtoes

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Thanks, hellfire24.

First area of need is clearly motherboard help - as azeem40 rightly pointed out, I'd originally chosen a card that wouldn't even fit with the case I chose (that was a bonehead move on my part). While he suggested an alternative, I expressed concern about the number of dead/RMA'd boards in recent weeks from newegg customers on that model and wanted a couple of other alternatives from which to choose. I'm also still trying to determine if the Z68 is the right chipset in the first place, as I indicated in my original post.

Second question was asked in my initial post: is the 2500k the right processor for my build (given my expressed usage needs), or would it be worth the coin to bump up to the i7?

Third question was about azeem40's suggestion of the Noctua D14 versus my proposed CM Hyper 212 Evo: is the Noctua really worth more than twice the CM?

Fourth question was related: he'd also tied the selection of the Noctua to my choice of PSU and I wondered how my choice in CPU cooler would change if I changed the PSU selection. (I don't see the linkage.)

Fifth question was in my initial post: for SSD users, has 120gb proved to be the right size for a boot/apps drive, or can I shave budget and go to 80gb? Or do I need to go bigger?

Overall, I'm open to any proposed input on the build as a whole.

your answers-
i-don't worry about newegg reviews.most of them don't have proper knowledge and damage their mobos.in case you have any problem you can contact Asus.their cutomer service is good.so there should not any problem.Pro version is definitely better if you want.if you think it's right for your needs that go for it.

ii-2500k is a very powerful chip.with a good overclock you can throw any thing at it.for gaming no doubt 2500k>all IMO.it's powerful,cheap,overclocks and well and runs cool.you need a good aircooler to reach 4~4.5ghz.

iii-noctua coolers are really great.amazing performance with extreme silence.but yes 212 EVO is best bang for buck cooler.D14 is great but not worth twice the cost.if don't wanna spend so much on cooler than get 212 EVO and a second fan in push/pull for better performance.

iv-see i cooler has nothing to do with psu.they both are different.your psu is great but way overpriced.there are other units with same quality(made by seasonic)for less price.a couple of suggestions-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256067
or a bit cheaper but still top notch-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207017

v-it's your choice.some people prefer a smaller unit(60~64)but some prefer bigger(256~512).120 or 128 is 'most preferable' size IMO.but if you want to save some bucks and get a smaller one than this is a really deal-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233205

BTW here's a $10 cheaper hdd-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284
it's a caviar black 1tb.

Solution

sixtoes

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Thanks, hellfire -

1 - glad to hear that about Asus' customer service. I've used their boards before in my older builds, so I have at least some trust in their product.

2 - glad to hear it. I won't be overclocking it too much, but a good cooler's important to me anyway.

3 - I appreciate that input; the 212 Evo seemed like it would be easier to install and work around (that Noctua is huge), and still be efficient enough. The case I've chosen (Obsidian 650) has a 200mm front intake, a 200mm top exhaust and a 120mm rear exhaust... do you think I'd need another push or pull on top of that, or would those three be adequate, given the 212?

4 - that's what I thought as well; I couldn't see a link between my choice in CPU cooler and my choice in PSU. Perhaps I misunderstood azeem40's comments. I really appreciate your suggestions as to other brands, but still manufactured by SeaSonic as I don't want to risk getting a brand that slaps their label on a cheap product. I'd initially put an 850 as my PSU, but azeem suggested a 900-950 in light of the fact that I might eventually go SLI - would you agree, or do you think 850 would be sufficient?

5 - Sounds good, but I'll probably stick with 128gb since it's only $25 more than the 90gb (same Corsair specs other than that), but thanks for the tip anyway. As for the $10 cheaper WD Black, it's a SATA 3 Gb/s, so I'll stick with the 6 Gb/s for that small difference.

I'll put together the 'new' version of the build sometime this weekend and post it one last time to make sure there are no other holes in the design. Thanks again for the helpful input! (I'll mark it as most helpful once I know I'm done, of course.)

sixtoes

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
After the [facepalm] moment when azeem40 rightly pointed out that the mobo I'd selected in my original build was the wrong form factor for my case, and after further discussion with azeem40 and hellfire 24, here is my amended build. I've made a couple of other changes, based on reviews and comments here in the forums.

Motherboard - ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3

I'll be honest and say this is still the area where I'm the least confident in my choice. I want a rock-solid board, and I want the lowest possible odds of a DOA with bent pins or the like. Though hellfire24 says their customer service is good, I've read a few comments to the contrary - anyone else with experience with Asus' customer service want to let me know?

CPU - i5-2500K (no change from initial build)

RAM - Mushkin Enhanced Redline 8GB

I made a change here from the Corsair Vengeance sticks. The Mushkin Redlines get amazing reviews and test results, and the $30 instant savings makes them a bit more affordable. They're still about $40 more than the Corsairs, so this may revert back to my original choice if budget restraints become an issue.

Graphics - EVGA GTX 570 1280mb (no change from initial build)

I'd love to be able to afford to SLI this rig from the outset, but that's not going to happen - I won't cut corners on stuff like the case and PSU, and I'm finding myself moving ever-so-slightly upwards on RAM and SDD (see below). However, I am planning on going SLI in the next few months.

Case - Corsair Obsidian 650D (no change from initial build)

The 800 is just too big for me, and it would be an $85 jump. Sure, it would enable me to choose an E-ATX board like I'd originally (oops) picked, but I don't want to go that big on the case.

Power - Silverstone Strider Gold 850

This is a change from the original SeaSonic X-850, mostly for budgetary reasons. It's still a quality unit, with modular cables (I like a clean build) and gold certification - but it's $65 cheaper (after $10 rebate) and I can use that budget elsewhere without running into problems from a cheap PSU.

SSD - Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 120

This is a change from the Corsair Force GT 120 - it's only $30 more than the Corsair, but has much better NAND. Similar to why I went with Mushkin for RAM - it's about durability/reliability.

HDD - WD Caviar Black 1 TB (no change from initial build)

At $139, the price is right for a SATA 6.0Gb/s (given the current HDD market). Looks like it's a phase-out as there's a new version with a slightly different model number - and it's cheaper than the Blue.

ODD - LG Black 12x Super Multi Blue w/LightScribe (no change from initial build)

Though I don't (currently) need Blu-Ray burning capability, I do want to play Blu-Ray discs. This may be a bit more than I need for now, but it appears to be a quality unit, and I was able to get it as a combo bundle on newegg with the CPU, saving me $14.

OS - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit (no change from initial build).

Cooler - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo (no change from initial build)

The Noctua D-14 was also suggested, but it significantly more expensive for only a slight improvement in cooling. Though I will overclock, I won't be pushing any limits - stability and reliability are more important to me than bleeding-edge performance - so the advantage isn't worth the price bump.

So that's the build - I'm open to suggestions, but I'll probably be making my final decision and purchase here in the next few days. Regarding budget, the build as it stands right now is coming in just under $1900 (after sales tax and shipping, as well as instant/bundle discounts and rebates).

Questions that still remain:
- Is this my best mobo choice?
- Will I regret going from SeaSonic's X-850 to the Silverstone PSU?
- Will 850w be enough if/when I go SLI with dual 570s?
- Is the SSD choice the right one, or would I be better off spending $40 more to go down one notch (from Chronos Deluxe to Chronos) in the Mushkin line while doubling size to 240?

sixtoes

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
One other question: the Obsidian 650 comes with dual 200mm fans (front intake, top exhaust) and one 120mm fan (rear exhaust). The top 200mm can be replaced with a pair of 120 or 140mm fans. Is there anyone with experience with this case that can tell me if I'd be better off getting replacement fans, or will the stock ones provided by Corsair be sufficient? Also, am I better off replacing the top 200mm with a pair of 120s or 140s, or will the cfm of the stock 200mm be adequate? Again, I'll be overclocking, but not aggressively - and I'm a fan of quiet. :)

sinthoras

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012
It is being said that hd 7870 is coming out in a few weeks . Wouldnt you consider waiting just a bit more to get it ?

Its performance is equal and in some cases better than gtx 580 with a ridiculous price of approx. 350$

Also a big +1 for everything you have chosen.

that is 1.65v ram.2500k needs 1.5v ram.something like this would be great-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148544
still i would say wait for 7870.............
nothing wrong with silverstone psus.the one you selected is a top notch quality unit.
650D=Sexy ;)
excellent case.plenty of room and airflow.looks very clean.5/5 case.
chronos deluxe is one of the most 'reliable' ssd.i would suggest to stick with it.

terpsfan726

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012

I just built my first rig with the asus p8z68-v pro/gen3 with a 2500k and i have not run in to any problems yet, it is a great mobo/cpu set up and i would recommend it to anyone.