Best Way To Install/Uninstall Video Drivers

cadefoster

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
I'm looking to get a little advice on the best practices for installing/uninstalling gpu drivers. I always use the "clean" install option when updating my drivers but as I understand it, that dosn't remove all of the old files. I have googled this and there seems to be conflicting opinions on the best way to do it, whether or not to use a driver sweeper etc. I just want to avoid any possible conflicts that leaving behind bits of old drivers can cause. Thanks in advance.

I have updated my gpu drivers for years and i didn't have any problem. I download the drivers.( Ati Radeon GPU )The drivers are exe file.I open the new drivers intaler and there is an option Uninstall or Install , i check uninstall and he will be uninstaling the old drivers.Ill go in program files and i delete all the Ati folders. After that open again the new drivers and click install. And that's it.

jemm

Distinguished
First of all download the drives from the manufactures web site only, be it AMD or Nvidia.

Once you download it, then uninstall all video drivers from the Control Panel (Install/Uninstall programs), and re-start your machine. You´ll see that now your machine is running with generic drives, and things may not look good as it was.

After having staring it again, then use a registry cleanner of your choice (for instance: CCleanner).

Now just install the drives you´ve downloaded, and you´re ready to go!