I5-3320m or I7-3520m for gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

rheiss591

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
Hello everyone! I am new to this site and after reading some responses from the community I am hoping I will be able to get the answers I am looking for. I am building one of Sony's 15.5" S series laptops and am stuck when choosing a processor. Processors is one of the things that I have a hard time grasping when it comes to computers. I am wondering if an I7-3520m (2.90GHz to 3.60GHz with turbo boost) is worth the $194 it costs to upgrade from an I5-3320m (2.60GHz to 3.30GHz with turbo boost). I do not do any video editing or anything, I am mainly going to be using it for school and gaming on my spare time. Most of my gaming is done on consoles but I do want to play Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 on max setting and there is a possibility that I will pick up World of Warcraft again in the future. Besides those three the only other game that interests me is Elder Scrolls Online but that is going to be released in a year or so, therefore, I do not know if that is worth mentioning since we can only speculate how demanding that game will be. In addition, I am planning on buying the best graphics card I can which has 2gb of dedicated memory. I am just wondering if there would be a noticeable difference between the two processors for what I plan on using it for? I do not doubt that the I7 may be a little faster I am just curious as to if it is 194 dollars faster? I appreciate any help on the matter. Thank you.

Rolland

Solution
There may be a slight 10%-15% improvement in performance due to the higher clock speeds and extra 1MB cache....but i wud NEVER spend $200 for an upgrade like that.....its just not worth the money:)

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
There may be a slight 10%-15% improvement in performance due to the higher clock speeds and extra 1MB cache....but i wud NEVER spend $200 for an upgrade like that.....its just not worth the money:)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.