Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
I will hopefully be upgrading my CPU/Motherboard soon and I have some questions on installing Windows and other miscellaneous things.. first off, I am using an SSD as a my Boot Drive and an HDD as a Storage Device. First question is, how do I install Windows on my SSD? Do I wipe it first or do I have to do anything for preparation? Also I have Steam and all of my Steam Games installed on my HDD, so after Installing Windows on my SSD, will I be able to just plug my HDD back in a play my Games right away? Or will the new Windows install mess something up with it? Thanks for any input.

Solution
it simple all you need do is to unplug the data cable to your hard drive so windows only see the ssd. if the ssd has a partion on it windows 7 will want you to delete it so it can make two new ones. a system restore partion and a data partion. before you install windows on your ssd make sure your sd on the intel 6g sata port if your mb has one and that the sata ports are not set to ide but ach mode. also make sure you have a usb stick or cd with the updated mb drivers. the ones that come with the mb are ok but there going to be older the ones on the net. you have to install the mb chipset drivers first then reboot.
install the video card drivers and reboot if it asks. then your sound and network drivers and usb drivers if there a third...

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Installing shud proceed as normal....no need to do a full format....just do a quick NTFS one:) The SSD is supposed to have a built in mechanism to detect bad/worn out block, and replaces them with reserve ones:)

I have no idea about stream, but as is the case with most applications, i think u will have to re-install them. Only Winamp and VLC work directly:)

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

Sorry to bother with a stupid question but what is a NTFS? Detect bad/worn out blocks? Again sorry but I have never dealt with Installing Windows over another Installation of Windows so do I just put the Windows disk in, a long with the SSD and just Install it? Or is there more I need to do? Thanks for the reply.

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

NTFS is a file system that is used by XP/Vista and Win7.
If this is ur first time installing windows, then i think u better get a friend to help u out, or read some nice through article on how to do it :)
Better yet u can even safely experiment with installing windows in a Virtual machine urself.....i use VirtualBox...its a free download and works very well :)

Forget about the SSD bad block thingy for now, its not important....its done automatically......so u can read about that later :)

To perform a reinstall with steam under a new OS. delete everything from your steam folder EXCEPT the steamapps folder and steam.exe. double click steam.exe and it will download what it needs and reinstall (if it doesn't for some reason just download the installer and point it where you want then copy the steam apps folder back into that directory) .

All your games will show in the library, and the first time you launch one it will take a minute or two while steam handles all the registry/windows/directx setup stuff like it did when you first downloaded the game.

Note saved games are under your profile in windows NOT in the steam folder. Usually in app data. You'll need to back them up and put them back where they belong to have access to your saves

If you want to run a game on the SSD for improved load times steam mover will let you swap programs on and off the SSD.

www.traynier.com/software/steammover

it simple all you need do is to unplug the data cable to your hard drive so windows only see the ssd. if the ssd has a partion on it windows 7 will want you to delete it so it can make two new ones. a system restore partion and a data partion. before you install windows on your ssd make sure your sd on the intel 6g sata port if your mb has one and that the sata ports are not set to ide but ach mode. also make sure you have a usb stick or cd with the updated mb drivers. the ones that come with the mb are ok but there going to be older the ones on the net. you have to install the mb chipset drivers first then reboot.
install the video card drivers and reboot if it asks. then your sound and network drivers and usb drivers if there a third party usb chipset. then check for any missing device drivers in windows. you then want to download cpu-z and hardware monitor. with cpu-z you want to check the speed of your ram and that the mb read the ram spd info right. most 1600 ram in new mb will default to 1333. have to use the xmp profile to get 1600 or faster. hardware monitor will show your cpu/gpu temps and power supply voltages. it good on a new build to see that the temps are cool and that the heat sink on right. you can have a heat sink on a cpu but if it not tight you can get higher then normal temps. ssd in simple terms are like large ram sticks. but they only have a set amount of writes to them. do to there speed you dont need to run defrag on them to line up the ones and zeros. on the ssd firmware is a program called wear leveling. in simple terms is keeps windows and the ssd from writing to the same bit over and over. it trys to us all the bits evenly so that the ssd will last a normal user. years. when you use windows daily it make temp files and other files from when you look at things on the net. this clutter adds up over time on any drive..on a hard drive we use disk clean up or ccleaner...on a ssd it built into the firmware and ssd software called garbage collection. intel ssd tool kit sets this up once a week for people...other ssd have other tool kit software.

Solution

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Better yet u can even safely experiment with installing windows in a Virtual machine urself.....i use VirtualBox...its a free download and works very well :)
How do I use virtual box to install Windows as practice/experience? Oh and I have installed Windows to My SSD but it had nothing on it so is there a difference between Installing Windows on a drive with Windows already on it(my situation)? Also can I get a download link to virtual box? I would really like to try it and if you could give me some sort of tutorial, I would greatly appreciate it.
also make sure you have a usb stick or cd with the updated mb drivers.
Can I just keep the Drivers that Come with the Motherboard? I dont get in to the BIOS that often so there would really be no need and I have heard of people messing up there hardware by updating there MB Drivers.

Thanks.

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads well i wud love to explain, but its not possible on a forum thread like this one:) Just google for some articles, i'm sure u'll find plenty on how to use Vbox:)

As for windows, if u try installing on a partition that already has windows on it, then ur presented with 2 options, either repair the existing one, or do a complete new install:)

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

Okay thanks, I will try virtual box. Also do I have to Upgrade my Motherboard Drivers? I mentioned something about it up top.

microsoft cd or the iso image if you download it you can put it on a usb stick using the microsoft usb tool.
there going to be a driver cd that comes with your mb. you need those drivers to run the sound card and network card.
most time the cd has an auto run where you just click on drives and it installs all of them.

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

Okay so I am going to make a run through of exactly what I have to do, correct me of I am wrong.
1.) Install MotherBoard and CPU.
2.) Unplug HDD while keeping the SSD plugged in.
3.) Make sure the SATA Ports are set to AHCI.
4.) Install Windows 7 on the SSD.
5.) When booted back in to Windows 7, install Motherboard Drivers from Disk included.
6.) Plug HDD back in.
7.) On HDD, delete everything in the Steam folder except the Steamapps folder and Steam.exe.
8.) Run Steam.exe
9.) Enjoy my new Upgrade :lol:

Hopefully this is correct but please let me know if there is anything else I need to do or if I did something wrong. Thanks.

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Also in this video -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxaVBsXEiok&feature=relmfu -- the guy is installing Windows and says if you are Installing Windows on a drive previously used for Windows, you should format and delete the drive and make a partition, then Install Windows. Is this true? Should I do exactly as he does? BTW fast forward the video to 12:05 to see what I am talking about. Also did anyone see any mistakes with my list above?

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Oh yes :) The drivers which came with that CD along with ur mobo will work fine, but it's always best to download the latest drivers from the mobo manufacturers website if possible:)

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

Can I install the Drivers from the CD first, then just reinstall the newer Drivers online? And should I format, delete, and create a partition like the Paul (the guy in the video) did?

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Oh and in that video, Paul puts everything in the Motherboard and hooks it up together without it being in the Tower, then he shorts some pins on the Motherboard to boot up the Computer. What pins do you short to turn on the Computer? Also, it didnt show him turn off the Computer so how do you turn it off with out a power button? I was thinking you could just unplug it from the wall although I fell like that is dangerous for the Computer.

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

Drive management? Should I do it the way you said? Or should I format it and delete while Im installing Windows?

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

yes that's absolutely fine...actually, that's the way i did it:) I cudn't connect to the net initially without drivers, so i installed from the mobo's CD first. Later i downloaded the latest versions of all d drivers and installed them again:)

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

Okay thanks for the info. Also how should I format my SSD as listed above?

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

u get an option while installing....IIRC for windows 7 its a small Pink eraser next to the list of partitions :)