Advise or corrections to gaming pc

PuYA

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Hello,

I'm wondering if my "dream" setup has any major or minor flaws. I'm a BF3 player, decent one I'd say, but I need a new computer as my old one is, well, too old, rusty and slow like a snail. As I'm graduating I get enough money to buy the components, but I'm trying to keep the price under 3k (atm 2775€, I know it's expensive here in Finland, and the 3D-kit is just there for fun) Any advise, tips, corrections, better suggestions much appreciated. I'm wondering between the HD 6990 or getting crossfire 7970's or something.

Cooler Master HAF X 942 ATX
Corsair Vengeance 16 GB Kit PC3-12800, 1600MHz, 4x240 DIMM 16 GB
Kit(4x4096 MB)
Asus SABERTOOTH P67 B3 Intel P67 LGA1155 ATX-emolevy
Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4 GHz LGA1155
Corsair Cooling Hydro H100
Asus HD 6990 4 GB PCI Express -video card
OCZ Agility 3 120 GB 2.5" SSD SATA III - kiintolevy OCZ Agility 3
Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 64 MB 7200 RPM 3.5" SATA III (6 Gb/s)
Asus BW-12B1LT Blu-ray 12X Black Sata
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer sound card PCI
Cooler Master Silent Pro M 850 W ATX-power supply
Asus VG236H 23" LCD-display
Windows 7 Pro

Thanks in advance!

adgjlsfhk

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
If I were you I would go with an I5-2500k or wait for ivy bridge. There is little difference between these processors for gaming because they both oc and almost no games use more than 3 or 4 threads. Also do you really need 3 terabytes of hard drive? This 2 terabyte is about $100 cheaper than equal 3 terabyte ones http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148834

One last thing is that these changes would allow you to get a better/ bigger monitor.

As stated, no need for the i7.

Also, no need for 16GB of RAM. If you MUST, then use a 2x8GB kit, not 4x4GB.

I like the H100, but really not in that system. Just save some there and get a good air cooler.

That PSU was OK 2.5 years ago, when it came out. It's made by FSP :p

Corsair HX850 or OCZ ZX 850W should be in your price range and far better.

If you aren't going to add a second 6990, then skip that and just get a Seasonic X650 or Corsair TX650M.

2500k.. Yea, we're seeing a trend here. No need for the i7.

8GB modules would be better, but realistically by the time you'll actually need 32GB of RAM, the computer will probably be outdated anyway.

as far as the 3TB Harddrive, also agree with what was already mentioned. By the time you fill up a 2TB you'll be kicking yourself at how much cheaper then 3TB has gotten. From a budget standpoint, I'd consider buying a 1 or 2 TB harddrive and adding more drives if you actually need them.

PuYA

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Thanks for the advise guys!
The difference between 2tb and 3tb here in Finland is only 30€ so therefore I'm buying it as I need a lot space for our bands music and upcoming music videos. So I think I'm gonna get the 2005k and 8G ram and get the Corsair PSU. Now I can get a 27" monitor, thinking about Samsung S27A350H 27" LED LCD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001481 good choice or not?

catatafish

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012

Great job with all your research and I echo what others have suggested. Have you considered this monitor? Not really sure I can see what another $40 gets you. It's the same monitor I've been eyeballing. I actually ordered it from Tiger Direct but they put a restriction on delivery that I had to be present at home and was not allowed to pick it up at the UPS store, or I'd be typing on it right now!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001431

PuYA

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Thanks for the kind words. First I was thinking of getting an alienware comp but then I realized that it's much cheaper to build it on your own (a discovery indeed, I know -.-) and when you build it yourself it will become "your baby". Same thing when I build my first guitar, well lets say that the body wasn't the perfect shape, I still played with it until I made a new one... though this time from ready parts. Oh yeah and the only reason for getting the +40$ monitor is that I don't seem to find the cheaper one here in Finland. Any ideas on keyboards as my old membrane keyboard (some MS ****) is kinda wobbly. Otherwise I would go for SteelSeries 6Gv2 but the problem is that I'm kinda put off by the clicky-clacky sound of the mechanical keyboards so I'm thinking of going g510 or something. I would probably need a couple of macro-keys but not like 20 or something. Is the "feel" and response so much better in mechanical keyboards that it's worth the ear-rape?

Given a couple days I can type on anything. But I find I need more feedback when gaming. I appreciate precise keys that click, mostly for MMOs where there is a mix of typing and key-mashing.
These new gaming keyboards from Corsair look promising, if you can find them.

PuYA

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Those corsair (FPS) one looks really promising (wrist rest is a nice bonus also). My friend ordered it for himself yesterday so I can go try it out tomorrow, yay. He also bought the m60 mouse. I have the old and trustworthy MX518, which is now freezing from time to time but never while gaming. I'll try them out and then share my thoughts.