Sign in with
Your question

New Buyer, New Build. Need Help Please

Last response: in Systems
March 9, 2012 8:19:04 PM

Ok I know there is a million other questions asking this. I really need help building my PC which will be used for gaming.
Im new to it and have a slight idea of what I am doing. It's quite a daunting task building a PC for the first time. I just need
to make sure that all the parts I have chosen will work together.

I have a budget of around £900, however I would like to try and lower this, if possible to £800.. I still would like to max most games out

Case Cooler Master CM-690 II Lite Dominator Case - Black

Motherboard: Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard [Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155

GPU: HIS HD 6950 IceQ X Turbo 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express

RAM: .Skill RipJaw 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Dual Channel Kit

PSU: Akasa Venom 750w Modular '80 Plus' Power Supply

Also there is a 1TB harddrive and a 60GB SSD and a cheap optical drive

I have a couple of questions.
Will everything work altogether with this build? i.e. motherboard,cpu,gpu,ram

I know I will need a different fan for my CPU, could somebody recommend me a good cheap one?

The PSU that I chose, 750w is enough to run this yes?

Do I really need an expensive motherboard? is there anyway of getting a cheaper one without diminishing performance?

There are something that confuse me still like, differences in motherboard chipsets i.e. X79, Z68, P67. What do these different chip sets mean?

How do I purchase the RAM should I buy 2 x4GB or 4 x4GB ??? What is the difference

Generally do you think this is a good build what changes or suggestions do you have?

Sorry for the long post. I know this all looks stupid to some people. I just really want to make sure Im not wasting money or doing anything stupid. I have spent a lot of time looking at various different pieces of hardware and want to make sure that I am doing the right thing.

Please offer some advice, Thanks.

More about : buyer build

March 9, 2012 9:39:17 PM

Should work fine

I know I will need a different fan for my CPU, could somebody recommend me a good cheap one?

This one isn't cheap, but I love it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This one should serve you just fine too for less.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More than enough... You could probably get a 650W comfortably, but nothing wrong with 750W.

Do I really need an expensive motherboard? is there anyway of getting a cheaper one without diminishing performance?

I think the better question is, can you get a different motherboard that isn't ASrock. Stick to ASUS or Gigabyte if you want to spend your money safely.

There are something that confuse me still like, differences in motherboard chipsets i.e. X79, Z68, P67. What do these different chip sets mean?

These are the designs behind the motherboard. Kind of like the body style on a type of car but actually functional. The years on the cars may very every year, but the bodystyle changes at a different pace. However the chipset is functional, meaning it actually plays a role in the performance or features a motherboard can have. Each of them vary in performance on saving power or heat and you will notice that the specs sheet for boards of different manufacturers that have the same chipset will be close in features and specs. The manufactures put their own spin on these standard chipsets. It's basically the engine type.

How do I purchase the RAM should I buy 2 x4GB or 4 x4GB ??? What is the difference

Obviously... 2x4=8 and 4x4=16. With the first one you get 8GB ram, and with the second you get 16GB ram. 8GB is enough for now, and you can upgrade with another 2x4GB later if you want. If your motherboard is triple channel memory, try to get a 3x4GB or 3x2GB instead. Intel usually is.

Generally do you think this is a good build what changes or suggestions do you have?

The build will definitely get you there on gaming. Go for it. My only suggestion is get a better brand on the motherboard. ASrock hasn't proven itself beyond Biostar and MSI in my own opinion. Some people like ASrock though.
March 9, 2012 9:55:47 PM

Thank you so much, you've really helped :) 
I'll look into getting a better brand Motherboard
Related resources
March 9, 2012 10:25:58 PM

Another Question will I need to buy a specific type of fan that will fit in with my CPU? My CPU is 1155, so I will need a fan that will fit in with that?
March 9, 2012 10:40:20 PM

The Hyper 212 Evo is about the best cooler for the money. Most people get their 2500K/2600K to 4.5Ghz very easily with it.

I would get a better power supply. You only need 550-600 watts even with heavy overclocking. Up that to 750 watts if you plan on adding a second HD 6950 in Crossfire at some point. Stick with Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Silverstone, Enermax, OCZ or Antec. Silverstone and PC Power and Cooling both have modular units in the 600-750w range for $100 or less.

Personally I think the ASRock motherboard is fine.

Get GSkill Ripjaws X or Corsair low profile RAM. Either will fit under a large air cooler. Corsair Vengance will have height issues. Get 1.5v DDR3 1600 Cas 9. 8GB is plenty for most builds. You may want more if you use Photoshop or other memory intensive applications.
March 9, 2012 11:15:11 PM

ASRock motherboards are fine. I have a Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 and I've had no problems whatsoever. They offer excellent performance and features for how inexpensive they are!

Quote:
ASrock hasn't proven itself beyond Biostar and MSI in my own opinion
I fail to see why people recommend MSI boards. They seem to have a lot of problems and a ton of DOAs. But if I'm misinformed then please tell me. And I don't have anything to say about Biostar as I haven't looked into their boards at all...
March 10, 2012 1:16:56 AM

Quote:
The Hyper 212 Evo is about the best cooler for the money. Most people get their 2500K/2600K to 4.5Ghz very easily with it.

I looked at the The Hyper 212 Evo, from the reviews iv seen it apparently blocks a RAM slot because of its size. I have been looking at Akasa AK-CC4005SP01 Venom Nano CPU Cooler, anyone had experience with it?

Quote:
I would get a better power supply. You only need 550-600 watts even with heavy overclocking. Up that to 750 watts if you plan on adding a second HD 6950 in Crossfire at some point. Stick with Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Silverstone, Enermax, OCZ or Antec. Silverstone and PC Power and Cooling both have modular units in the 600-750w range for $100 or less.

I think I will change PSU. What PSU should I buy? Would 600W run a 6950 effectively ?

Quote:
I suggest waiting for the 7850 or 7870 in 2 weeks. By far a huge improvement.

The GPU is proving the hardest part to buy... I keep getting told to choose from 560ti and the 6950.

The GPU is really starting to confuse me. I have been looking at benchmark sites for various CPUs. Some CPUs have 1024MB of memory, like- Asus GeForce GTX 560Ti DirectCU II TOP 1024MB.
Now, my GPU has 2GB memory yet is the same price, how is this possible? Surely the GPU that I have chosen would out preform one with lower memory.

When I look on benchmarking sites, GPUs with lower memory on board are out preforming ones with more memory why is this? Should I think about changing GPU? Sorry for all the questions....
March 10, 2012 1:33:26 AM

As far as I can tell, no glaring issues

Hyper 212 or I use Coolermaster Hyper 520n (40 bucks) and OC my 2500k to 4.6 and have never had any issues

definitly- I have a 750 and I can CF 2x 6950s both of which are OC'd... Get a corsair though dont know much about your brand, but Corsairs are rock solid

You dont need a super expensive MOBO, but you dont want to skimp out, IMO the sweetspot is 150-200 here. Like another poster ASUS or Gigabyte..... best 2 brands

X79= IB steamline. IB will work on on Z68 or P67- Z68 and P67 pretty similair Z68 is a slight step up, biggest thing is certain Z68s can uses an SSD as Cache which is nice

2 things, Z68 supports 1600 so get it, it does not cost much more, 8gb will be plenty I went with 16, but it was overkill

You are very close. I have 2x 6950, good card, but I were buying at this time there is no way I would get a 6950. 7870 or 7850 consume less power and are much faster they come out in less than 2 weeks

Please offer some advice, Thanks.[/quotemsg]
March 10, 2012 1:56:05 AM

I would wait for 7850 and even for kepler which should make things even more affordable...But 750W PSU will do easily.
March 10, 2012 2:00:17 AM

Quote:
I looked at the The Hyper 212 Evo, from the reviews iv seen it apparently blocks a RAM slot because of its size. I have been looking at Akasa AK-CC4005SP01 Venom Nano CPU Cooler, anyone had experience with it?

Read the rest of my post. As long as you get low profile Corsair or GSkill Ripjaws it will fit under any big air coolers. That's how people run really big air coolers. ;) 

Quote:
I think I will change PSU. What PSU should I buy? Would 600W run a 6950 effectively ?

As long as you stick with the brands on my list it is hard to go wrong. List where are you buying from and I will find you a good deal.

Yes 600 watts is fine for a HD 6950 or GTX 560 Ti. Really 600 watts is fine for a GTX580.

Most games run fine at 1920 x 1080 with 1GB of VRAM on the graphics cards. Some newer games need more and if you are running at higher resolutions or are running multiple monitors then having more than 1GB helps. When comparing cards with different architectures like the GTX 560 Ti and the HD6950 you can not compare based on anything but benchmarks.

As you can see it really depends on the game as to what card is better.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/330?vs=293
March 10, 2012 12:20:58 PM

Quote:
As long as you stick with the brands on my list it is hard to go wrong. List where are you buying from and I will find you a good deal.

Havent purchased anything yet. I use overclockers.co.uk to find my items just because I like the site. I will properly buy the actual stuff from different sites to get a better deal.
March 14, 2012 10:18:26 PM

yougotjaked said:
ASRock motherboards are fine. I have a Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 and I've had no problems whatsoever. They offer excellent performance and features for how inexpensive they are!

Quote:
ASrock hasn't proven itself beyond Biostar and MSI in my own opinion
I fail to see why people recommend MSI boards. They seem to have a lot of problems and a ton of DOAs. But if I'm misinformed then please tell me. And I don't have anything to say about Biostar as I haven't looked into their boards at all...

First, it always seems that people use that "for how inexpensive they are" additive to "excellent performance" when they are justifing the ASrock brand. On a high end build, you MUST use high end products according to your budget, otherwise you might as well just go buy a pre-built machine.

Don't take me the wrong way... I didn't mean to reccommend MSI, I was just putting ASrock in that boat with them. They are all budget cards, and are pretty much the same quality. Biostar I've always had problems with not only on quality, but annoying issues with compatibility. I've actually had some pleasent surprises with MSI and ASrock on low budget home PC builds for other people, but when it comes to a high end build, I always pay the extra 5-15% for the high end brands.

To the original poster. Like the other guy said, the VRAM only needs to increase with higher resolutions. I'm running 5760x1080 with a 1GB card right now. (Having a hard time upgrading currently) It will run fine outside of gaming, and you can even play a game on a normal resolution in windowed mode and browse the internet and watch a movie at the same time with 1GB, but if you want to play high res new hardcore games you will need more for sure.
March 14, 2012 11:40:21 PM

Lol Not everyone wants to pay the extra 5-15%. Asrock boards are just as good as Asus ones IMO, specially at the lower end. The Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 Z68 overclocks just as well as Asus boards that are $180 with the same features. If anything, Asus just overprices their boards. If I'm correct, Asus's cheapest Gen3 support board is $185 vs Gigabyte $140, Asrock $130. Those are boards that have Gen3 and can SLI/CF.

!