Should I really get a Geforce 580 (Fermi)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG, I totally forgot to mention that in my first post. I do plan to get the 7970 depending on its price. Still though, is the PC overkill, even for future-proofing? I also read in places that it is better to spend less and just upgrade sooner. Is that true?

I asked in the new builds section and it was what they suggested.

At above, the source of the future-proof thing was this: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/diqq9/your_thoughts_on_future_proofing/.

I want a build that will last about 5 years, unless it is better to upgrade earlier. I currently am a beginner (been away for many years) so I am just trying to get in to the latest games out. They are, but not limited to, BF, CoD, Half-Life, SWTOR, Diablo, Runescape, GTA, Need for Speed.

EDIT: I checked out the MOBO. It is $150, so $100 when price reduction, but it should work I guess. Any reason you suggest it?

tlmck

Distinguished

Get the Gigabyte z68 mobo from Microcenter. It's $100 after rebate. Better quality than Asrock. As you noticed, the CPU is only $179 there also. Unless you plan to seriously over clock it, get the cheapest name brand ram they got. Other than the fancy heat spreaders for looks, the others really aren't necessary.

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

I will be running a 7970 for 1680x1050 - It will perform much faster than anything else regardless of resolution. It's also one of the few cards that have the power to run Metro 2033 @ Max with DoF on - Try doing that at 1680x1050 with a 570 and you will cry.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

I hate when the old-school gamers say this. 7970 is not overkill for 1920x1080. Some gamers like myself like to play the newest games with maxed out graphics @ a extra smooth constant 60fps. The 570 will be crippled by some of these GPU intensive games.

7970 is a beast dude. Get it if u got the money for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.