Intel 2500-k for gaming

racoon

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Hi

will the intel I5 2500-k be a good CPU for my Gaming computer? Can it be overclocked easily? does it have potential to overclock? Ive mostly heard lots of good things about this CPU, Could you recommend a motherboard to pair it up with please?

Thanks in advance

yes.

yes. you should consult overclocking section for more information and consult the oc guides there.

yes, plenty. core i5 2500k has unlocked multiplier which enables capable users to raise multi ratio and raise the cpu clockrate.

depends on your budget. you should consult the motherboard section for better info. if you're building a whole pc, skip individual section (except overclocking) and ask in the systems section for help with overall build.
as for motherboards, i5 2500k will benefit from motherboards which allow cpu overclocking (e.d. z68, z75, z77 etc.) and has good power delivery system, component layout, fan headers etc.

axe1592

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
My personal favorite motherboard for the 2500K would be the Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z. Its $190 at Newegg right now with a 10% off coupon so $181 shipped. Cant beat that.

Guru 3D did a review on it a while back and said it would overclock their i7-2600K further than on any motherboard theyd tested to date. Thats pretty solid.

The only downside is that since its mATX form factor, its only got 2 PCIe slots so while you can still run dual video cards, you can run dual GPU's and a sound card. Not that that should be a big problem because it has a very good sound card on it already.

Keanu Reeves

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
Best inexpensive, when compared to the performance you get, CPU on the market. It also overclocks like a champ. Just buy it. If you're looking for some good budget boards, AsRock makes some great Z68 boards that overclock well.