Life of My New Rig

jjack339

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
I want my current rig to last me until the Haswell tick gen of CPUs (2nd gen Haswell, around 2014 sometime, maybe 2015) I did not go ALL out but I did put together a rig using a combination of price performance choices, and pure power.

CPU- 2500k OC'd to 4.6 (Coolermaster 520N fan)
MOBO- P8P67 PRO
RAM- 16GB Corsair Vengence @ 1600
GFX- 2GB XFX RADEON 6950 x2 in Crossfire.
SSD- OCZ 60GB boot
HDD- WD 7200RPM 2TB 6 gb/s

I am curious if this rig will keep modern well into 2014. I am new to the PC upgrade cycle am I would hate to be dragging 18 months from.... I would like a veterans of watching the upgrade cycle to comment on the lifespans and such of rigs

Thanks in advance

That will definitely last you 3-4 years. Probably longer, to be honest. Though I doubt you'll need that much RAM.

To give you an idea, back in late 2008, I put together a system with q9550, HD 4870 and 4GB of RAM, and it still just KILLS any game even without oc'ing. If it needs it one day, I have that extra room to fall back on. Yeah, newer machines will beat it in benchmarks, but for practical gaming performance there is no discernible difference.

I think u'll be fine, thats some pretty killer specs! the only thing you might run out of is storage space. I don't know about you, but I may or may not torrent old TV shows. My theory is, if I download them, why delete them? I may want to watch them again. Luckily, we've got plenty of support for extra hard drives.

lakshitharxx

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011

Nice Rig.. Sure you will last for 3 years or more..