Q,Digital Developing@ Walgreens,Too Enlarged

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 5, 2005 8:02:56 PM

I have a Sony Cyber Shot DSC-W1 and have noticed when I get my prints
developed via their processor at Walgreens drug store they come out
larger then what I took.I also re checked my memory stick and they look
fine,just the way I shot them. I also get a CD made and they also aren't
as enlarged as the processed prints.They are enlarged enough to actually
cut portions of the subjects head and feet off.My question is it the
camera or their processor or both in advance.thanks...

Ray,
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 1:57:38 AM

This is wrong processing.

The picture format (size) and the paper format is not the same. If you take
your picture and print it without cropping then you will have white areas on
two sides, provided that the picture is placed in the center of the paper.
Many automatic processes will expand your picture to eliminate the white
areas from the print. This is wrong. Sometimes it might be OK, but sometimes
the person might be without head.

Check if there is any option for you to select "Print without crop".

Jan

"R.M.R." <Para9mm@webtv.net> wrote in message
>I have a Sony Cyber Shot DSC-W1 and have noticed when I get my prints
> developed via their processor at Walgreens drug store they come out
> larger then what I took.I also re checked my memory stick and they look
> fine,just the way I shot them. I also get a CD made and they also aren't
> as enlarged as the processed prints.They are enlarged enough to actually
> cut portions of the subjects head and feet off.My question is it the
> camera or their processor or both in advance.thanks...
>
> Ray,

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 4:03:42 AM

Jan Nademlejnsky wrote:
> This is wrong processing.
>
> The picture format (size) and the paper format is not the same. If you take
> your picture and print it without cropping then you will have white areas on
> two sides, provided that the picture is placed in the center of the paper.
> Many automatic processes will expand your picture to eliminate the white
> areas from the print. This is wrong. Sometimes it might be OK, but sometimes
> the person might be without head.
>
> Check if there is any option for you to select "Print without crop".
>
> Jan
>

> "R.M.R." <Para9mm@webtv.net> wrote in message
>
>>I have a Sony Cyber Shot DSC-W1 and have noticed when I get my prints
>>developed via their processor at Walgreens drug store they come out
>>larger then what I took.I also re checked my memory stick and they look
>>fine,just the way I shot them. I also get a CD made and they also aren't
>>as enlarged as the processed prints.They are enlarged enough to actually
>>cut portions of the subjects head and feet off.My question is it the
>>camera or their processor or both in advance.thanks...
>>
>>Ray,

Good response from Jan.
In addition, if you have an image editor crop the image to the size of
the prints you want made (usually 4x6).
Better for you to crop the image your way than letting a machine do it.
If you don't have a photo editor get one. That's more than half the fun
of doing digital photography. A good freebie is IRFANVIEW.
Google on "Irfanview" to see how to get the free download.
Bob Williams
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 9:19:50 AM

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 00:03:42 -0700, in rec.photo.digital Bob Williams
<mytbobnospam@cox.net> wrote:

>Good response from Jan.
>In addition, if you have an image editor crop the image to the size of
>the prints you want made (usually 4x6).
>Better for you to crop the image your way than letting a machine do it.
>If you don't have a photo editor get one. That's more than half the fun
>of doing digital photography. A good freebie is IRFANVIEW.
>Google on "Irfanview" to see how to get the free download.

What's there to google?
http://www.irfanview.com Be sure to get the plugins too.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at