Status
Not open for further replies.

vibhas

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
Hi all, I recently built my PC from scratch but i got some mates to tidy up the cabling with some cable ties.
They did a real nice job, but I can't now plug in the usb 3.0 wire hardwired to the case, to the usb 3.0 slots at the back if i pop in the metal cover for the audio jacks, usbs and hdmi outputs. I can only plug in the usb 3.0 wire to the usb 2.0 slots at the back if i decide to pop in the cover. If i don't have the cover on, dust and stuff is gradually entering the mobo and parts from that 6" by 2" gap~.

So, is it necessary for the usb 3.0 cable hardwired to the case to be connected to a usb 3.0 slot to maintain usb 3.0 connectivity through the case, or can i connect that cable to a usb 2.0 slot and enjoy usb 2 and 3 connectivity throughout, as it's not going to be easy to take out the metal cover once i pop it in, so i want to know if im going to be limited to just usb 2.0 throughout.

Thanks

Solution
It sounds like your case basically just supports its front-panel USB port by way of a long extension cord that goes through the case and eats up a USB port on the back, which is a crappy way to do it.

In any event, if this describes your setup, yes, it will work, but only at USB 2.0 speeds. USB is backward compatible, so it'll function - but if one of the ports involved only supports 2.0, then 2.0 is the most you'll get out of it.

Honestly, the better option would be to undo and retie the cables, or just say forget it and use the USB 3.0 slots on the back, which is slightly less convenient but at least they'll work as intended.
It sounds like your case basically just supports its front-panel USB port by way of a long extension cord that goes through the case and eats up a USB port on the back, which is a crappy way to do it.

In any event, if this describes your setup, yes, it will work, but only at USB 2.0 speeds. USB is backward compatible, so it'll function - but if one of the ports involved only supports 2.0, then 2.0 is the most you'll get out of it.

Honestly, the better option would be to undo and retie the cables, or just say forget it and use the USB 3.0 slots on the back, which is slightly less convenient but at least they'll work as intended.

Solution

vibhas

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010

Yea, a friend of mine told me that. Looks like my case only has 3 usb 3.0 slots, and since 1 is used by the extension cord.. there are just 2 left - 1 at the front and 1 at the back.

Will the one at the front stay usb 3.0 if the extension cord that goes to the back is connected to a usb 2.0?

Edit: I just took the usb extension cord out of the back of the case, and all my devices connected to the back of the case still work (Printer, USB mouse and USB keyboard), as i like to keep my front slots open for less permanent usb devices.
So, is there any benefit of having the blue (usb 3.0) cable that connects the front and back usbs or not?

No, the USB 3.0 port at the front won't stay USB 3.0 if you plug it into a USB 2.0 port. Any time you have that kind of situation, it'll run at the lowest common denominator, which in this case is USB 2.0.

There really is no practical benefit to that kind of front-back connection. You get a marginal cosmetic benefit in that 1) plugging something into the front may be easier than plugging something into the back, and 2) you don't have a dead USB port on the front of your case to worry about. But other than that, no; you're basically just sacrificing one port so that a different one can work. or in other words a 1-for-1 trade that eats up a port. It's a pretty crappy way to do it and in my experience, a hallmark of a cheap case or a cheap card reader.

vibhas

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010

yes mate i fully understood that before. What i'm saying is that i actually took the cable connecting the front usbs and the back, and all my usb's (front and back) work after taking that cable out. So, what's up with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.