Sign in with
Your question

Why slower?

Last response: in CPUs
June 24, 2012 3:15:58 PM

Hi all,

Why my own-built PC boots/runs apps is slower than the PC I brought last 1 and a half years from Dell?

My own-build PC specs are:
Processor--------------------------AMD FX-4100
Memory---------------------------CORSAIR (4GB 1333MHz x 2) - Vengeance Dual Low Profile
Motherboard----------------------ASUS M5A88-V EVO
Graphics Card---------------------ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC TOP GeForce GTX 550 TI
Hard Disk--------------------------1.5TB Seagate Barracuda
OS---------------------------------Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits
Casing-----------------------------COOLER MASTER ELITE RC-372 Mid Tower Case
Psu--------------------------------ACBEL ME2 Plus Power 550Watts
Fan--------------------------------COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO (Push), COOLER MASTER Silent Fan 120mm (Push), COOLER MASTER Silent Fan 120mm (Pull)

My Dell XPS 8100 PC specs are:
Processor--------------------------Intel Core i5-760
Memory---------------------------6GB (2GB x 2 + 1GB x 2)
Motherboard----------------------Dell
Graphics Card---------------------GT 220 1GB
Hard Disk--------------------------1TB
OS---------------------------------Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits
Casing-----------------------------XPS 8100 Case
Psu--------------------------------Unknown
Fan--------------------------------Fan (Pull)

What is the reason that my own-built PC is getting slower than the Dell's? Please, answer, thanks.

Regards,
Kelvin

More about : slower

June 24, 2012 3:31:30 PM

What sort of apps? The i5-760 was a beast of a proc - the FX-4100 may be a bit slower. And do you have 8gb or RAM or 4gb?

Also, did you install all of the drivers (including the mobo drivers)? What what is the RPM on that HDD?
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 24, 2012 3:33:49 PM

According to Tom's Hardware Gaming CPU Hierarchy Chart, you downgraded your CPU.

The i5-760 is a better gaming CPU than the FX-4100.

What country, because ACBEL is a new brand name to me?
m
l
Related resources
June 24, 2012 3:35:33 PM

Hi Inanition02,

Thanks for replying. FYI: The apps are games, I play Sudden Attack, Maple Story often and some games seldomly. It also slow when it was booting Windows (when it was in the Starting Windows). I took AMD because Intel os getting more expensive and more expensive. I have 8GB RAM in my own-built PC (4GB x 2 as I said). I installed all the latest drivers. The RPM for my HDD is 7200.

Regards,
Kelvin
m
l
June 24, 2012 3:39:11 PM

kelvin08113 said:
Hi Inanition02,

Thanks for replying. FYI: The apps are games, I play Sudden Attack, Maple Story often and some games seldomly. It also slow when it was booting Windows (when it was in the Starting Windows). I took AMD because Intel os getting more expensive and more expensive. I have 8GB RAM in my own-built PC (4GB x 2 as I said). I installed all the latest drivers. The RPM for my HDD is 7200.

Regards,
Kelvin

Then I would think it's the CPU downgrade.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 24, 2012 3:39:48 PM

Hi kelvin - it kind of depends on what applications you are running. The FX-4100 is based on AMD's Bulldozer architecture. Bulldozer doesn't do very well in some applications. The i5-760 is simply a great chip. It is comparable to a i7-920.

If you look at the following review of Bulldozer, you will see the top Bulldozer chip (the FX-8150) get beat on a lot of tests by a i7-920. There are probably more specific benchmarks out there with your exact chips if you can find em. You need to overclock the 4100 and then you should see that thing beat the i5-760 (at least on some benches). http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8150-zambezi-bul...
m
l
June 24, 2012 3:40:13 PM

inanition02 said:
Then I would think it's the CPU downgrade.

What do you meant? Please explain the CPU downgrade as well as I'm a first PC-builder.

Regards,
Kelvin
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
June 24, 2012 3:40:55 PM

It's because the FX-4100 just isn't that great of a CPU. The 4170 would have been a much better choice. That or an i3 2120.
m
l
June 24, 2012 3:42:26 PM

larkspur said:
Hi kelvin - it kind of depends on what applications you are running. The FX-4100 is based on AMD's Bulldozer architecture. Bulldozer doesn't do very well in some applications. The i5-760 is simply a great chip. It is comparable to a i7-920.

If you look at the following review of Bulldozer, you will see the top Bulldozer chip (the FX-8150) get beat on a lot of tests by a i7-920. There are probably more specific benchmarks out there with your exact chips if you can find em. You need to overclock the 4100 and then you should see that thing beat the i5-760 (at least on some benches). http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8150-zambezi-bul...

When I was buying the specs in the PC store (Swisspac), the salers there said that they are not recommended for overclocking FX-4100 as I ask them how to overclock. i also don't know why, LOL!
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 24, 2012 3:43:26 PM

define slowly. I doubt that you get lower FPS in games with the gtx 550 ti then with the gt 220 ^_ The windows 7 startup procces is bottlenecked by the HDD usualy and it uses only 1 core of the CPU..
m
l
June 24, 2012 3:44:28 PM

Hi DJDeCiBeL,

Unfortunately, where I live doesn't sell FX-4170 and are you sure i3-2120 is better other than gaming?

Regards,
Kelvin
m
l
June 24, 2012 3:44:46 PM

kelvin08113 said:
What do you meant? Please explain the CPU downgrade as well as I'm a first PC-builder.

Regards,
Kelvin

Look at this page http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

Basically, the Core i5 760 (though older) is a better/more powerful CPU than the FX-4100 you put in the new PC. So it's not surprising it would be a bit slower. As for Windows loading slower, there's probably some BIOS settings you can change to speed that up a second or two. Otherwise, that's mostly HDD/mobo dependent.
m
l
June 24, 2012 3:45:43 PM

Hi crisan_tiberiu,

Haha, sure I get lower FPS in my old PC and I don't understand why it uses only 1 core? Can you explain?

Regards,
Kelvin
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 24, 2012 3:46:39 PM

kelvin08113 said:
When I was buying the specs in the PC store (Swisspac), the salers there said that they are not recommended for overclocking FX-4100 as I ask them how to overclock. i also don't know why, LOL!

They are either ignorant or just plain stupid. You already have a CM hyper, start having fun with you FX-4100 and OC it! http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1766/1/
m
l
June 24, 2012 3:47:04 PM

inanition02 said:
Look at this page http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

Basically, the Core i5 760 (though older) is a better/more powerful CPU than the FX-4100 you put in the new PC. So it's not surprising it would be a bit slower. As for Windows loading slower, there's probably some BIOS settings you can change to speed that up a second or two. Otherwise, that's mostly HDD/mobo dependent.

What is the settings? Can you teach me how to do it so I can try whether is or not the problem of my HDD/MOBO?
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
June 24, 2012 3:47:25 PM

kelvin08113 said:
are you sure i3-2120 is better other than gaming?

Absolutely. This is as close as I could come to a comparison (8150 vs. a 2100), but it shows even more how potent the 2120 really is in gaming. Look at the gaming benches specifically. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=289

Actually, I misread what you wrote a bit, but the 2120 would be better overall than a 4100, too.
m
l
June 24, 2012 3:48:23 PM

Hi larkspur,

Thanks for giving the link. I will try it later as I need to get more suggestions.

Regards,
Kelvin
m
l
June 24, 2012 3:49:54 PM

kelvin08113 said:
What is the settings? Can you teach me how to do it so I can try whether is or not the problem of my HDD/MOBO?

It depends on the model of mobo and I don't have one of those handy to go through, but it involves turning off the hardware you aren't using and reducing the number of redundant hardware checks.
m
l
June 24, 2012 3:50:17 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Absolutely. This is as close as I could come to a comparison (8150 vs. a 2100), but it shows even more how potent the 2120 really is in gaming. Look at the gaming benches specifically. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=289

Honestly, but I can't change it now, so sad... :( 
m
l
June 24, 2012 3:52:20 PM

inanition02 said:
It depends on the model of mobo and I don't have one of those handy to go through, but it involves turning off the hardware you aren't using and reducing the number of redundant hardware checks.

I will not change the BIOS settings without any tutorials/suggestions because I've never change the BIOS settings before.
m
l
June 24, 2012 3:55:51 PM

Hi bkoop,

Thanks for the chart.

Regards,
Kelvin
m
l
June 24, 2012 3:57:02 PM

kelvin08113 said:
I will not change the BIOS settings without any tutorials/suggestions because I've never change the BIOS settings before.

Then you can't overclock either, because that's where those settings are. And if you're locked into the hardware (can't change it for budget reasons) then there's no more help we can provide.

OEMs (Dell, etc) will often customize the BIOS to get better results out of their hardware on the cheap.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 24, 2012 4:05:32 PM

kelvin08113 said:
Hi crisan_tiberiu,

Haha, sure I get lower FPS in my old PC and I don't understand why it uses only 1 core? Can you explain?

Regards,
Kelvin

Windows 7 startup uses only 1 core, ask microsoft why :) 
Windows 8 will use more that 1 core for the startup process. They even had some issues that windows 8 boots so fast that you dont have the time to select the "safe mode" menu :0
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 24, 2012 4:15:07 PM

larkspur said:
They are either ignorant or just plain stupid. You already have a CM hyper, start having fun with you FX-4100 and OC it! http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1766/1/

they are NOT :)  OC'ing is NOT covered under warranty......OC'ing and spoiling a CPU (eventhoe its quite rare), and then claiming warranty for it is NOT an honest thing to do :) 
m
l
June 24, 2012 4:19:49 PM

Actually Kelvin, while you did downgrade your CPU, your problems might be some corrupted files. IDK. There is a lot of information that you can get from your computer management screen. The system tools section is really well done, especially the "event viewer." The problem is that if you don't know what you are doing then you can get into a lot of trouble. Instead of playing the cat and mouse game here, I highly suggest you do what I did and seach the net for resources pertaining to your problem. You going to have to learn sooner or later. You might as well knock it out now. You will be so much better off in the long run.

Here is a good link here to start: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/use-...

Best of luck to you.

PS. The software package that promise to speed up your computer often cause more problems than they solve. Especially in the long run.
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
June 24, 2012 4:20:22 PM

Why is it slower, because you're using a slow Bulldozer. It does horrible in gaming you pretty much downgraded your CPU.
m
l
June 24, 2012 4:24:17 PM

You need to buy an after market cpu cooler for am3+ socket which will cost about $60 or so but you should get the H100 set.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=289

Is a bad example for games, most of those games are on lower settings and are old, look at the fx-8120 on battlefield 3 and more intensive games.

At 1080p it is 2 fps higher than the i7. But you have the fx-4100 which isnt as good.

Because most games use 2 cores its better to overclock the cores to a higher frequency for the best fps.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 24, 2012 4:26:00 PM

$hawn said:
they are NOT :)  OC'ing is NOT covered under warranty......OC'ing and spoiling a CPU (eventhoe its quite rare), and then claiming warranty for it is NOT an honest thing to do :) 

They aren't responsible for the warranty, AMD is. Regardless of whether they are servicing the warranty, AMD is footing the bill. AMD has stated that FX-4100 CPUs should hit 4.6ghz on air. Saying that an FX-4100 isn't a CPU recommended for OCing is either ignorant or just plain stupid. AMD gives you an unlocked multiplier - why do you think they give you this? How would the salesman respond to, "Why does AMD make the multiplier unlocked?" Would they say, "Oh that's because they are stupid?"

I think maybe you are thinking in the past when CPU makers discouraged OCing. Not sure if you've noticed but AMD encourages you to OC the FX line and Intel encourages you to OC the "K" series. Have you paid any attention to how advanced modern thermal throttling is? Bad/cheap/overstressed motherboard VRM destroys CPUs, not unlocked multipliers and increased base clock speeds.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 24, 2012 4:27:43 PM

deathrune said:
You need to buy an after market cpu cooler for am3+ socket which will cost about $60 or so but you should get the H100 set.

Read the specs - he has a CM hyper evo. No need for anything else.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 24, 2012 4:29:19 PM

The best way to boost your boot speed is just grabbing an SSD :3
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 24, 2012 4:32:08 PM

He already has an evo cooler - just look at the OC guides and go small steps and look at you cpu temps. Although 4100 is not a great cpu - you can get it to perform much better than stock.
-Bruce
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 24, 2012 4:32:27 PM

deathrune said:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=289

Is a bad example for games, most of those games are on lower settings and are old, look at the fx-8120 on battlefield 3 and more intensive games.

At 1080p it is 2 fps higher than the i7. But you have the fx-4100 which isnt as good.

Because most games use 2 cores its better to overclock the cores to a higher frequency for the best fps.

Most games are starting to use atleast 3, the H100 is a really bad purchase(OPINION!), I would rather get a high end air cooler than a low end water cooling all in one system. I have also heard of problems with the pump being excessively loud on those units (probably a defective unit though)

But I agree, even 4 slow cores perform worse then having -2 cores + better architecture. even in a game thats optimized to take advantage of all 4
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 24, 2012 4:34:59 PM

larkspur said:
They aren't responsible for the warranty, AMD is. Regardless of whether they are servicing the warranty, AMD is footing the bill. AMD has stated that FX-4100 CPUs should hit 4.6ghz on air. Saying that an FX-4100 isn't a CPU recommended for OCing is either ignorant or just plain stupid. AMD gives you an unlocked multiplier - why do you think they give you this? How would the salesman respond to, "Why does AMD make the multiplier unlocked?" Would they say, "Oh that's because they are stupid?"

I think maybe you are thinking in the past when CPU makers discouraged OCing. Not sure if you've noticed but AMD encourages you to OC the FX line and Intel encourages you to OC the "K" series. Have you paid any attention to how advanced modern thermal throttling is? Bad/cheap/overstressed motherboard VRM destroys CPUs, not unlocked multipliers and increased base clock speeds.

hmm.....u noe what, i guess ur rite:D 
But nyway...i guess its better that kelvin08113 stays away from OC'ing until he noes what he's doing:) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 24, 2012 4:40:06 PM

Yes, the OP downgraded the CPU by two levels, but upgraded the Video Card by 9 levels using Tom's Charts, are the games CPU intensive or GPU intensive?
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 24, 2012 5:59:20 PM

First to clear up a misconception from larkspur - Intel standard warrantee DOES NOT cover the CPU (EVEN the -k models) if it has been overclocked and infact does not cover the CPU if Ram is above the standard (ie you use DDR3-1600 with a SB CPU), But Intel Does offer a OC warranetee, 25 bucks for the i5-2500k.

bkoop may have hit the nail on the Head in that the CPU has become a bottlenect to the High end GPU - Not sure as I'm not a gamer.

One suggested getting a SSD. The SSD will decrease Boot time and improve program load times, BUT IT WILL NOT make a program run faster, NOR increase FPS in game play.

NOT much help, just clearing up some of the comments i've read.

Would have helped if OP had asked about his Build BEFORE buying.
Old saying penny wise, pond foolish. Sometimes saving money ends up costing more to fix.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 24, 2012 6:18:21 PM

While the FX i agree is junk paired with a 550ti (which is NOT a performance card by A long shot) there should be no bottleneck it should push higher FPS in GPU dependent games than the old i5 with a 220 (which was not or ever has been a gaming card). As for windows boots as people stated it boots using 1 core so the stronger core on the i5 likely helps there.

If I was the OP I would add the GPU, PSU, HDD's etc from the AMD build to the i5 platform. Then stick the old GPU with the AMD, underclock it and use it as a HTPC
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 24, 2012 6:30:29 PM

If you can find a review of a game with a FX-4100, that would tell you if your system is running normal.

Otherwise, open up the Dell and tell us the exact model number of the Power Supply and the Amps on the +12 Volt. If the Power Supply has enough Amps, you could just swap the two video cards and go back to using the Dell.

Otherwise you would have to swap the Power Supply and the Video card, still the cost is nothing and the Dell would be very good computer.
m
l
June 25, 2012 12:13:34 PM

Oh hell!!! I didn't downgraded my processor and these are 2 DIFFERENT PCs. ......
m
l
June 25, 2012 12:34:05 PM

kelvin08113 said:
Oh hell!!! I didn't downgraded my processor and these are 2 DIFFERENT PCs. ......

We know they are two different PCs...but what we're saying is that your new pc's processor is slower than your old pc's processor...so you effectively downgraded.
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
June 25, 2012 4:45:20 PM

kelvin08113 said:

We know that. The point is by getting the Bulldozer you didn't upgrade your new computer you down graded. It would be like going from a I5 to a Core 2 Duo.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 25, 2012 7:22:10 PM

RetiredChief said:
First to clear up a misconception from larkspur - Intel standard warrantee DOES NOT cover the CPU (EVEN the -k models) if it has been overclocked and infact does not cover the CPU if Ram is above the standard (ie you use DDR3-1600 with a SB CPU), But Intel Does offer a OC warranetee, 25 bucks for the i5-2500k.

I could see how one could read beyond what I said to develop a misconception that warranties cover OCing. The point wasn't what's covered and what's not, it's that the salesman told him it wasn't a good CPU for overclocking, which is a very silly statement. I guess bad salesmen just get on my nerves. If the salesman cared about warranties he would have also told the OP that the CM Hyper EVO he was selling him would void his warranty once installed or at the very least that it would be unnecessary for running stock clocks.

From AMD (with regard to boxed CPUs): "This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith." http://support.amd.com/us/warranty/Pages/Processorinabo...
m
l
!