  • Customization
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
October 7, 2004 1:32:45 PM

While saving music files in the "My Music" folder I can't
seem to make it stop automatically grouping like files.
Example: If you download a series of music by Elvis, you
start with them in the line up with everything else, then
the system creates a folder within the "My Music" folder
called "Elvis" and pulls those files into it. This
drives me crazy! I'm looking for a fix to make this stop!

More about : folder options grouping

Anonymous
October 7, 2004 6:37:56 PM

Hi Clayton,

Which program are you using to download music files ? The program itself might be creating such directories and placing
the files there. If you download any files/music through IE, it will prompt you to specify the download location.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Clayton" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:19ec01c4ac8b$46aea9e0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> While saving music files in the "My Music" folder I can't
> seem to make it stop automatically grouping like files.
> Example: If you download a series of music by Elvis, you
> start with them in the line up with everything else, then
> the system creates a folder within the "My Music" folder
> called "Elvis" and pulls those files into it. This
> drives me crazy! I'm looking for a fix to make this stop!
October 7, 2004 6:37:57 PM

I'm using Win MX, but I don't see how that has anything
to do with it. I usually have to change the name of the
file anyway to be consistant with the look I want. It
appears to me to be an "enhancement" that windows thinks
you would want.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 9:09:55 PM

Hi,

WinMX is a third-party peer-to-peer file sharing program. As far as i know, the program is saving the file to the
specific location. You might want to look into the options of the program to see if you could change the save-to
location.

--

"Clayton" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0dbb01c4ac96$01b33490$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> I'm using Win MX, but I don't see how that has anything
> to do with it. I usually have to change the name of the
> file anyway to be consistant with the look I want. It
> appears to me to be an "enhancement" that windows thinks
> you would want.

October 7, 2004 9:09:56 PM

It is saving them to the right file. Only after they are
downloaded and saved on my PC do the changes occur, that
is why I feel it is a Windows option.

Anonymous
October 8, 2004 3:22:14 AM

Hi,

Launch Windows Media Player. Click on tools > options and flip to the 'Library' tab and uncheck 'Rearrange music in rip
music folder...' This might probably be causing the issue.

--

"Clayton" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1c7301c4acae$5a8c2f00$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> It is saving them to the right file. Only after they are
> downloaded and saved on my PC do the changes occur, that
> is why I feel it is a Windows option.

October 8, 2004 1:40:14 PM

Thank you, I will try that. This is the first I have
heard of that option!

Anonymous
October 8, 2004 11:31:39 PM

Hi,

Well Windows Media Player has the option to re-arrange your music files according to artist info etc etc. I am not sure
if that is causing this issue but its worth a try ! Good luck !