Can I use this video card with the wattage I have?

G

Alright so currently I have a 460w PSU, and an Intel i5 2500k. If I get a Radeon HD 6870 that recommends a 500w PSU, will I be able to use it? I don't think I have anything else that i would need to say that uses power in my computer.

Link to card- http://bit.ly/LJSCiP
(This isn't a scare link or anything. The regular one is too big.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-150-521&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=5&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=%28keywords%29&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

^ Full link if you don't trust the bit.ly link.

G

Ugh. I don't know! The current video card I have now is an HD 5570 slim. Maybe that'll help? I don't know too much about computers yet.

The power supply that you have, there should be a label on the side that looks like this:
neo_label.jpg

G

Ehrm, I'm not really in the position to open up my computer and check the PSU right now. The exact name of the PSU though is called 460w uATX PFC PSU. I just recently purchased this new computer through HP and that's what it says on the sheet that the computer came with.

micro atx psu... if your case a slim case (that's what i'm assuming since you said that you have a 5570 slim (low profile, i guess)? if yes, that 6870 card will not fit inside your case even if it fits your motherboard. if you provide your pc model it would have been more useful.
if you want to upgrade, look for a low profile card, some thing like these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131469
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102958
these are slight upgrades from 5570.
if you recently bought the pc, won't opening the case void the warranty? because if you want to change the gfx card, you'll have to open up the case.

G

Well I'm not worried about the warranty or anything, but no I used to have a slim PC until I just got mine now. I put my old video card into my new computer because the video card it came with wasn't good enough. But the model of my computer is HP pavilion HPE customizable.

G

Well. Would I be at risk if I use this video card on a 460w PSU when it recommends a 500w PSU? I really would love to get this card. I was very limited to cards before this computer, and I want this card. What do you think?

i stated what i think in my previous post. :)
imo you should look into what type of psu your pc has, ask hp if you can. the 6870 will benefit from a 80+ rated psu with enough amps on +12v rail.
like the new pc that enabled you to get better gfx cards, your pc's psu has to be able to support the gfx card well.

G

Well would it work if I put it in there? Like. Ugh.

G

What would I need the power adapter for and where would I adapt it to? I'm not too too good with the inside of a computer, but I'm sure if you explained it or something I could do it.

The video card will require external power, in the form of 2 x 6 pin pcie connectors
pcie6.jpg

Your psu may have them both or may only have one, in which case an adapter will be needed, maybe the molex to 6 pin above or the "Y" adapter I linked to ( don't think your psu has 4 pin molex )

G

Purchasing a new PSU isn't an option. I'm going to go on what nna2 said and just go for it. See what happens.

G

would i need to hook it up to the external thing you were talking about with the wires, or would i be fine just pluging it in?

nna2

Distinguished

500W recommendation, that dosent mean much

my 6870 uses 141W, and my CPU uses 95W... my 400W psu is capped at 365W on the 12V rail

141+95=236
365-236=129

so i have 129W of headroom for other components on the 12V rail

G

So what does this mean? Can I put it in and use it without the external thing? I really don't want to have to do the external thing, but will I have to?