HD4870>> Monitor (NO signal) problem

t21

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
hi

i have a problem that's became annoying at these point and don't know the reason

after moments of starting up my pc , i found my monitor gone black and sign as (No signal ) looked at my hd4870 i found red light on the board and when it has these red sign led that mean my screen has no signal but don't know what is it so i dnot 'nt know what these red led mean

the red led on the card board has (d1601 over temp protection ) typed beside it

BTW my card temp not high it's 55

so what can i do ??

could be it power supply ?
or the card ??
or the monitor ?

system :

amd 955x4 @ 3.7

gigabyte ga 770 ud3

2x2 gb ram ddr2

500watt power supply ocz

monitor acer 1080p

it's not the first time that do that , it happend before but recently it became more so i need to fingure out to know how to fix these problem

any help would be very appreciated

DM186

Splendid
It sounds like your card is over heating. What are you using to check your temps? I am not saying that your card is overheating it just sounds like it. On your power supply it is a ocz what is the model number?

Do you have any friends to test your card on there computers or try another card on your computer? Try that if you have friends If not we will have to go from there.

G

This red light shows the malfunctioning of your GPU so as DM186 stated it's good option to check with spare one GPU.first of all check your connection and ensure'bout proper power to the GPU.

mrdoctorsir

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
I had that problem when I first built my PC, I the power supply wattage was insufficient. Maybe your case is different, but you might be cutting it close with that power supply.

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
if it is overheating and triggering fail safe protection.
as its 4870 i would assume warranty long gone. I had video card given to me because it kept freezing. The problem was with old dried up thermal compound and slight loose heat sink attachment.
After cleaning up and applying good paste, worked like new. that's easy fix,
thou it also might be that your video card finally gave up its ghost.

have you tried plugin monitor into different DVI port or HDMI?

t21

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012

well i don't use any temp software because i don't know any , but i use the manufacture one that comes with the insulation software

noo i don't have friends to test my card with them

don't have anther gpu =/ ,

good point , recently i feel my power supply not a good one as it's back button make electric sound when i turn it on

and some time my power supply turn off by it self , but also don't have another psu to test

warranty long gone for sure
well i have tested with another monitor and was the same problem it didn't open the screen

do u mean cpu thermal ?? if that so well i didn't change my CPU thermal long time ago
besides one time i tried to remove my CPU to clean the fan didn't work i felt it's stuck with the motherboard but after trying repeatedly it came out , do i need to apply paste ?

now my two monitors work fine but don't know how long until the next no signal come in again still need help to fix these issue once for all

DM186

Splendid
About your power supply (PSU) it is a 500w OCZ what is the model number or letters like Modstream, Z series, ModXstream, Z t s, prostream, evostream, and gamestream. This will help pin point the PSU weather it is good or not. Here is link to MSI Afterburner it is free. You can monitor your temps from there.

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

If you are getting High temps it will be over 80c that is when you are gaming normal Temps should be in the 60c's idle temp should around 35c give or take a few. If it is your power supply then when it gets hot it will shut down power and will cause the problem you have stated.

My question on your PSU does it's fan still work when you turn it on? If you are hearing noise coming from the PSU could be a sign that it is on it's way out.

t21

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012

well my psu is OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS-B

i did download afterburner and found my gpu temp is 54 without games i didn't test my speed while in game yet

well yes it works but some time the psu shut down by it self and when i look i see the back on/off button not lighiting so i do off and then press on again but it makes electric sounds and my system fail to load and i do the on /off all over again untill it become stable and the system load without shutting down

DM186

Splendid

Your PSU is shot and you need to get another one. As for your temps it should at idel no games it should be around 35c at 54c tells me not good. But first think about another PSU. Here are a link or two for PSU's

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371035

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

gene_11

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
youe temps are normal for a hd4870. a reference hd4870 idles @55 and goes near to 90's at load. if you hear weird sound from ur psu u have to replace it now before it tears your rig apart. its your psu that causes the prob. its going to die soon