Monitor comes on then goes black

BradHP

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Wasn't sure if I should post here or under monitors, but I'm thinking it's an issue with either drivers or bios settings so this seemed like the best place. I just picked up a used I-Inc 28 monitor for my new PC. Yeah, I realize the first problem is probably that it's a used I-Inc, but it was a good deal that didn't cost me anything and got rid of stuff I was trying to sell.

Here's what happens. I have it hooked to the HDMI slot on my 6950 2GB. I start the computer, the BIOS flash screen shows, the Windows (7 Professional) start screen shows, then it goes black. I have external speakers so I hear all the startup sounds. Even though I can't see the screen I can type my Windows password and hit enter I hear it logging on. So the computer is up and running fine. The monitor power light is on and blue.

Sometimes after a series of unplugging/plugging back in and turning the monitor on/off I get the picture back. Sometimes I have to reset, go to the BIOS options first, don't actually change anything and exit out and the screen will come on with the restart.

I've had the PC hooked to a different monitor with this same HDMI cable and it worked.
I've had the monitor hooked to my laptop with HDMI and that worked.
So it seems like some issue between this monitor and some settings or drivers on this computer.

Running the latest Catalyst drivers 11.12, everything shows up to date on the GPU. If I look at the monitor in Device Manager (which shows as Generic PnP) it tells me the drivers are up to date, but shows a driver date of 6/21/2006 with Driver Version 6.1.7600.16385. That's a long time ago, so is that normal or a sign of something messed up? I'm wondering if there's some problem with the onboard graphics vs the GPU both trying to control the monitor.

Which leads to the next question--I have PCI-E set as default in BIOS, but there are two options I have no idea about and haven't been able to find any good info on. Those are Render Standby and IGP multi-monitor. What do they do and what should I have them set to, and would they have any effect on my monitor coming on?

BradHP

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I don't have any other cables to try right now besides the HDMI. I know that this specific cable works because the PC was connected to my TV with it, and I also used it to connect my laptop to this monitor. Both of those had no issues.

Darla

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
I'VE BEEN HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM FOR MONTHS - SOMETIMES THE MONITOR WILL BE FINE FOR A FEW DAYS AND OTHERS IT WILL NOT COME BACK ON NO MATTER WHAT I DO. HOWEVER, I FINALLY FIGURED OUT THE PROBLEM AND THUS A SOLUTION AND IT ACTUALLY DIDN'T COST ME ANYTHING.

MY CPU DOES NOT HAVE A VGA OUTPUT SO I WAS GOING TO GO BUY A VGA/DVI CABLE ADAPTER BUT INSTEAD I FOUND A VGA/DVI ADAPTER IN THE BOX THAT MY COMPUTER CAME IN. I ATTACHED IT TO THE DVI CABLE THAT I ALREADY HAVE AND PLUGGED THE DVI END INTO MY CPU (SINCE IT ONLY HAS A DVI AND NO VGA OUTPUT) AND THEN THE VGA ADAPTER END INTO MY MONITOR AND WA LA... IT WORKS NOW AND HAVEN'T HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH IT GOING TO SLEEP.

WHAT I IMAGINE IS HAPPENING IS THAT THE DVI OUTPUT ON THE MONITOR IS FAULTY - EITHER FROM THE FACTORY OR THE PINS HAVE BEEN DAMAGED SO MY CABLE WAS NOT WORKING CORRECTLY. IN TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT WAS WRONG, I BOUGHT A BRAND NEW DVI CABLE AND IT STILL DIDN'T WORK SO I KNEW IT WAS NOT THE CABLE. THAT NEW CABLE WAS RETURNED TO THE STORE FOR A REFUND!

It wan't so much of a cable issue as it was the connection method , what I was trying to suggest is that maybe the DVI connection would work and you could still use the HDMI cable but just get a DVI to HDMI adaptor so you can use the DVI output on the video card. I'm thinking it;s not working because of using the HDMI port on the card.

vegasstair

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
7/7/2012

My 28 inch I-inc monitor just started doing what yours is doing last week. I have a desktop hooked to the vga and a laptop to #1 Hdmi and DVD Player to #2 Hdmi. none work except for the first 60 sec. or so. Also tried the DVI with no luck. I wish it would work for mine. I miss it. shane vegasstair@msn.com

jru54

Reputable
May 9, 2014
SOLUTION FOUND

Hi folks,

I had this problem with my Videosonic VE170b monitor: after boot, monitor comes on for just about 1-2 seconds then goes

to black.

Hitting one of the buttons on the monitor (I think auto-adjust) would bring the monitor back again, but for only the same 1-2

seconds. Repeat hitting the monitor button would again bring it back, but only for 1-2 seconds.

SOLUTION: Mine was solved by changing the display color quality from high (32-bit) to medium (16-bit).
(YES, I had to repeatedly hit the monitor button and quickly move the mouse to do these steps, which was quite

challenging)

ALT-CLICK on a blank spot of the desktop; from the dropdown menu, choose PROPERTIES.

Click on the SETTINGS tab, where you'll see COLOR QUALITY dropdown box. Mine was set to High (32-bit).
I clicked on the dropdown arrow and chose MEDIUM (16-bit), and this solved my problem.

Hope it solves yours!

Aryanxx

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014

shabik

Reputable
Apr 25, 2015
Not sure if this will work for you but it worked for me. I had this issue with a monitor I bought, looked good and then turned black, could repeat that forever.

Anyways, someone mentioned the brightness settings so I thought I would try. So I did, it doesnt seem to matter the actual brightness but after playing with brightness button, it remains on! So it someone seemed to disable some sort of sleepmode, i dunno if this works for you!

chorfanwael

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
Just warm it up for couple of minutes and then reconnect it , THAT WORKED FOR ME !!
coz LCD works fine for 76Fahrenheit (e.g around 25Celcius) so just disconnect it from electricity ,