Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Hey Guys, So For Christmas I got a brand new case So I Had better cooling but so far it hasn't helped at all the temperatures of my 5770 is still the exact same.

So First I Had a Generic Acer Case and the 5770 Barley Fit in there and I was running it about 75-80 Idle,
Then I got the Haf 912 Case for X-mas and Its still the exact same temperature, My cable managerment is pretty good, the only cables actaully in front of anything is the 24Pin Mobo connector, all the rest in the back.

I got 2 extra Fans and everything and it's still not helping my 5770, Why is this happening? Waste of 70 Bucks Thats for sure.

As Of January 5th, I bought Battlefield 3 and Was trying to play it but I've been having sound problems. Now it's been idling at like 90+ and fan speed 87-94%

WHAT IS HAPPENING!

Please I need help I don't know what to do.

-Mithness

well, if that is 75-80*f then you are fine, if that is in *c then you have a problem. No matter what case you have the card should idle at ~30*c, it sounds to me like you have a bad GPU and should RMA it if it is still under warranty. If not under warranty then it is time to replace the thermal paste and see if that helps, otherwise it is time for a fancy new GPU to match the fancy new case :)

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Ya It's 75-80C. And I don't think I Can RMA it because I bought it second hand from some guy on a website (worked since now) but it is XFX (with the double lifetime warrenty) so Where would I Send it?

and Geekapproved Before when it was idling at 75-80 The Fan speed would be 57-63%.

But the thing is, Why all of a sudden did my GPU's Temp go up to 90Idling? with 87-93% Fan Speed.

I Don't Understand.

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Probably why the dude sold it to you in the first place. There is something definitely wrong this card. It's going to be tricky to RMA the card, you might want to try to get in contact with the original owner as you will most likely need a copy of the invoice in order to try to RMA the card...

However, sounds like your card is failing hard somewhere, and I'm not sure where. Perhaps there's an issue with the thermal contact on the GPU. Might want to look into taking off the heatsink fan (if you can't RMA it) and apply new paste/or buy this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186053

Might be better off with a new card if RMA is out of the park though :( ~110 bucks for the same card.

Red Team FTW

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Sunds like a bad card or cooler I would RMA but if not than the best you can do is take the cooler off remove the old thermas past with some Alcohal and apply a high end thermal grease like Artic Solver 5 and then it will be better I hope the factory just messed up and did not apply enough TIM PEACE> RED TEAM FTW !

If the fan is dying and it's not spinning as fast as it should, that could be why.

You can't send it anywhere without a receipt.

Besides, XFX double lifetime warranty requires the original owner to register it, then YOU have to register it using the code from the original registration within a certain amount of days. And your still gonna need a receipt.

Don't buy second hand computer components.

Contact XFX and play dumb. Tell them you got it as a gift a while back, and the card is having issues, and you are wondering if the product is still under warranty. If you are lucky then they will take pity on you and replace the card, if not then try replacing the thermal paste, or installing an aftermarket cooler. Short of that you would have to buy a new card.

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Okay, So I Took my video card out to get the serial code and I tried blowing out all the dust in it (that I could see)

And I'm idling at 65 at 47% Fan speed, but that could be just because I turned on my system, But Next week I'm going to buy some compress air and clean it good.

Thanks
Mithness

7munkee

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010

I have the same card and i was running idle at 85-90 c also, with fan speeds at 80-85. What I ultimatly had to do was to turn on Overdrive, and underclock all the way down. Now i idle at 58c and and rarely get above 80 c under load at 1440x900.

I did the xfx agent chat thing and he told me he mailed me out a new cooler via USPS and told me to give it a generous helping of thermal paste. Maybe something you can try.

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010

Reviving my old thread eh? Haha

I Should've probably posted that I fixed it. I went out and bought compressed air along with artic silver thermal paste, and cleaned out the dust and applyed that new thermal paste. I started to idle at 40-50 and under load went to 60

-Mithness