One Graphics card works, two do not

mRoy62

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
With one EVGA GeForce GTX 460 graphics card plugged in everything works.
When I plug in a second card and turn on the system never even gets to a bios screen.

Please can someone explain what the normal process is for adding a second card. I will not be using SLI.

Solution

huh! how did you guess that the psu is weaker may be it's a high wattage and a quality brand.

xtreme5

Distinguished

huh! how did you guess that the psu is weaker may be it's a high wattage and a quality brand.

Solution

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
As i remember it based on your motherboard if they share the x16 lanes the other slot only was meant to add SLI card so when you plug both without bridge nothing happen. you need motherboard with 2 dedicated PCIe lanes designed to take 2 cards separately (need to read manual)
I had same story where i try adding Nvidia card to ATI card to set up Physics and could not boot, that was on my wife's PC, but it worked on my. So im interested to hear reasons for this as well.

do you know make/model of your Motherboard?

mRoy62

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
Yeah, I should have specified the PSU and the reason for 2 card. I forgot that most people here are generally games focused.

PSU: 760W
2 cards for 4 monitors

Brand new system that I am building and microcenter told me this card should be more than man enough.

what are your full specs?
did you connect all the pcie power connectors? iirc each gtx 460 needs 2 pcie power connectors. and sli needs sli bridge.

TRENDING THREADS