Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sound Card Conundrum

Last response: in Components
June 24, 2012 8:14:34 PM

I recently bought a pair of Bose Companion 2 Series II speakers for my new computer, a custom computer I built from the ground up (+/- $1,800 Gaming/Multi-Purpose Rig).

The on board Realtek ALC898 of my ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 supports a myriad of input devices, but since the new speakers I bought do not have a subwoofer with them, how would I connect a stand-alone subwoofer to work in conjunction with the speakers I already have?

Most subwoofers I've seen have RCA inputs, the clamp style speaker wire inputs & outputs, and some appear to have what seems to be a 1/8" input or output jack.

Is there anyway I can use the peripherals I already have at my disposal to connect a subwoofer to my rig somehow?

Would I have to get a new soundcard that has some sort of compatible peripherals on it or are there some special cords or adapters I would have to buy?

Please guys, I've asked many people through many different channels & no one seems to have a clue.

More about : sound card conundrum

June 25, 2012 12:17:53 AM

The subwoofer output usually goes with the center/subwoofer jack when in the 5.1 configuration. A sound card will just be the same so no need to buy one just for this purpose.

Do you already have the subwoofer or you intend to buy one?
m
l
June 25, 2012 12:45:26 AM

I intend to buy one, your recommendation(s) would be immensely appreciated.

I'm not sure what cord(s) I need to hook it up, I guess it would have to be either optical or just the standard headphone jack looking cord, I guess they're called 1/8" jacks?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

June 25, 2012 2:28:30 AM

1/8 to RCA cable
June 25, 2012 3:22:04 AM

Best answer selected by iendigma.
m
l
!