iendigma

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
I recently bought a pair of Bose Companion 2 Series II speakers for my new computer, a custom computer I built from the ground up (+/- $1,800 Gaming/Multi-Purpose Rig).

The on board Realtek ALC898 of my ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 supports a myriad of input devices, but since the new speakers I bought do not have a subwoofer with them, how would I connect a stand-alone subwoofer to work in conjunction with the speakers I already have?

Most subwoofers I've seen have RCA inputs, the clamp style speaker wire inputs & outputs, and some appear to have what seems to be a 1/8" input or output jack.

Is there anyway I can use the peripherals I already have at my disposal to connect a subwoofer to my rig somehow?

Would I have to get a new soundcard that has some sort of compatible peripherals on it or are there some special cords or adapters I would have to buy?

Please guys, I've asked many people through many different channels & no one seems to have a clue.

randomkid

Distinguished
The subwoofer output usually goes with the center/subwoofer jack when in the 5.1 configuration. A sound card will just be the same so no need to buy one just for this purpose.

Do you already have the subwoofer or you intend to buy one?

iendigma

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
I intend to buy one, your recommendation(s) would be immensely appreciated.

I'm not sure what cord(s) I need to hook it up, I guess it would have to be either optical or just the standard headphone jack looking cord, I guess they're called 1/8" jacks?

Pearlmam

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
You do not need to buy a sound card. This link explains how to connect your speakers to your motherboard. You will need a sub-woofer with an amplifier built in, or buy receiver (amplifier) separately. Receivers aren't cheap.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-connect-51-speakers-to-your-computer/