Setting default file associations. How?

How do you change the default file associations. Meaning
when a new user logs into the machine, I want them to have
the associations I set, not the MS ones.

Changing them as administrator only seems to affect
administrator, how do you set them for all users, or at
leas users without a profile?

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about setting default file associations

    "Frank" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    | How do you change the default file associations. Meaning
    | when a new user logs into the machine, I want them to have
    | the associations I set, not the MS ones.
    |
    | Changing them as administrator only seems to affect
    | administrator, how do you set them for all users, or at
    | leas users without a profile?

    From a user account with admin rights,

    Start
    Run
    regedit
    Enter

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SOFTWARE
    Classes

    File associations are global. Once changed in Administrator profile, it
    applies to all users. What exactly you're trying to accomplish?

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    "Frank" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    How do you change the default file associations. Meaning
    when a new user logs into the machine, I want them to have
    the associations I set, not the MS ones.

    Changing them as administrator only seems to affect
    administrator, how do you set them for all users, or at
    leas users without a profile?

    Thanks

Configuration Default Microsoft Customization Windows XP