Will HD6870's price drop in the future

flycat1989

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Hello, I am considering to buy a HD6870 card. The price for HIS HD6870 1GB on Newegg is $140 with rebate. Anyone think the price will be even lower in the future?

Thanks!

flycat1989

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012

Thanks ;) ! I also think there won't be a big margin for it to go down... But I will wait longer until 7xxx series' debut.

flycat1989

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012

Really? I just browsed several other threads which said that the price of video card can fluctuate because of the supply-demand statues. Little worried about that... Does that mean that it may be good for me to purchase it right now?

There are a lot of people at the moment talking up the supply and demand angle in a reaction to people like reviewers and myself who are complaining about the high price of the recently released 7970. I don't really know why they seem so desperate to defend the issue. I think its expensive they don't. No big deal get over it.

Ok now having explained the background to why you would have seen that particular take on the situation a lot recently, i will explain what I have experienced over the last 3 AMD releases and you can put both statements together and decide for your self.

For the last 3 releases at least what I have seen happen is the following
When there is a replacement card released the pricing will be (ball park figures) ~£/$50more than the cost of the present card. So that people don't default to buying the lower cost older card the cost of that card is increased to within £/$10-15 of the new card to make that seem a bad deal when the new card is just a little bit more.
So do you buy the now more expensive older tech card or pay the extra for the new card ?

That is what I have experienced. It may not be the same all over the world, I'm in the UK and that's how it happens here.
However its not the first time this has come up in discussion and no one has told me previously that it is any different where they are.

Mactronix :)