Sign in with
Your question
Solved

XonarDG vs Striker 7.1

Last response: in Components
June 24, 2012 10:00:39 PM

I noticed I've been using AX PRO headset and STR-DG710 receiver which both are said to have Dolby Digital decoder and the receiver has a bonus DTS decoder but I don't think I'm getting the 5.1 since my headset doesn't have dolby light-up and receiver set to AFD goes to 2.1ch.

So I've read and found I'm not getting 5.1 through optical because you can't pass uncompressed or whatnot and need to be encoded so it and led me to Dolby Digital Live which Striker 7.1 has which will convert 5.1 games into Dolby 5.1.

Why even bother with Xonar DG? I've stumbled on the EAX which Striker only has 1.0/2.0 while Xonar DG has GX2.5 which can emule the latest EAX(which is 5.0 I beleave). I'm not sure if the emulation is good or bad and striker doesn't say anything about emulation so I'm assuming its discrete.

In the end it's either one of those, the Dolby Digital Live with EAX1.0/2.0 vs the EAX5.0(emulation) FOR GAMING. Which would I go with?

I know that people saying EAX is dead but I still play old games like AVA(Alliance of Valiant Arms) which with Striker and it's eax2.0 I'll only be able to set 32channels(Options let me choose up to 128 despite the onboard sound) while with DG I think the eax5.0 can handle 128channels of sound. I'll also check out games I haven't finished like Bioshock 1/2 and Infinite might have it too. On Wiki I found that Bioshock needs EAX5.0 is that true? What if I turn it on with striker only having 2.0eax?

Thanks,
Alexis

More about : xonardg striker

June 24, 2012 10:06:45 PM

I'm not sure if AVA is using EAX but it jsut says "Audio Channel" which can be set to 16, 32, 64, and 128.

I read around that EAX 2.0=32channel and EAX5.0=128channel. So I'm assuming AVA is using EAX?

EDIT: I'm also assuming that I don't need an encoder if I go analog instead of optical?
m
l
June 25, 2012 1:57:02 AM

Simple solution: Go with the ASUS Xonar DX, which gives you Dolby Encoding AND EAX Emulation [which is so-so, but does the job.]

EAX really doesn't matter anymore, and its not worth going bonkers over.
m
l
Related resources
June 25, 2012 3:57:00 AM

You have a lot of things wrong there:

1) The only thing I see the point of Dolby encoder is to encode anything that is uncompresed 5.1 such as games. Since this doesn't have optical out it makes my thread pointless.

2) Despite not mentioning it, I don't have an extra PCIe slot so I only mentioned these 2 that looks the best for PCI.

3) If you though that card seemed more sexy, its not for me since I'm probably not gonna need the other features.
m
l
June 25, 2012 7:35:18 AM

I just found out about Openal which has eax? So I don't need a card that has eax? then what's the point of sound card releasing eax on their hardware?
m
l
June 25, 2012 12:54:43 PM

EAX hasn't mattered in years; even Creative admits its an obsolete sepc.

OpenAL is the preferred API for audio now that Directsound no longer is capable of doing surround audio. A few companies (Creative, ASUS, Realtek) have OpenAL to Directsound wrappers that re-enable the old legacy Directsound features, which includes some EAX support. This can cause other problems though, and typically isn't recommended.

As for soundcards, the *cheapest* option on PCI that can do encoding is the ASUS Xonar DS, though I note it does DTS and NOT Dolby. The D1/Striker are the next two cards up; the D1 gives EAX 5 emulation, but you lose the ability to encoder to DTS (which the Striker can do).
m
l
June 27, 2012 6:45:37 AM

The reason I'm comparing DG with striker is the EAX5.0 vs DDL+DTS. Dolby Digital is surround sound right? While EAX gives directional sound as well but its only support? So I should just get the striker?

btw another reason I picked these 2 is that both have optical out.
m
l

Best solution

June 27, 2012 1:52:02 PM

EAX has NOTHING to do with surround sound over SPDIF, or surround sound in general. It just throws a few extra environmental effects on top of the directsound API. And the DG doesn't have a dolby digital encoder.

If you want 5.1 over SPDIF, the ONLY thing that matters is getting a soundcard with either a Dolby or DTS encoder.
June 29, 2012 7:27:10 AM

Best answer selected by alexdeite.
m
l
!