Sign in with
Your question

Help with budget I5 build

Last response: in Systems
March 10, 2012 4:35:49 PM

Objective:
To house a few 2 TB Hard drives. Will be used to run few servers (Webs ervers, SQL Server, Oracle etc.) , virtual machines and some video encoding. Relatively silent operation desirable.
No gaming except maybe some low graphics games for fun, no overclocking.

I just sold my system because I disliked the combination of the Antec 900(version 1) case and the non modular PSU which made me hate ever opening the case to work with anything. I am looking to put together something within $400 budget at max w/o HDD. I don't need a HDD immediately since I already have few and plan to buy an external from staples considering the price of internal HDDs are up.

New build looks like this

Intel Core i5 2500K
GA-Z68AP-D3 LGA 1155 Z68 ATX Intel Motherboard
Kingston HyperX blu 8GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10600) CL9
OCZ Fatal1ty Series Modular 550 Watt ATX Power Supply

All of these at Microcenter amounts to $340 after tax ($320 if PSU rebate goes thru). Leaves me around $70 for a case.

Does this build look good? Any suggestions? I also see an alternative 1.5 V RAM (mentioned below) which is same price after rebates. Is it better than the Kingston I selected? Same with PSUs - there are two more PSUs within $10 of the PSU i selected as can be seen in below links.

XMS 8GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10666) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit
OCZ modXtream Pro 500 Watt Modular
OCZ ModXtream pro 600Watt Modular PSU

Regarding case I'm not sure which is a current good budget case. I need a case that is easy to work with and preferably has USB3 or eSata in front. Is cooler master HAF or 690 better than the Antec 900? I can buy from frys or Microcenter if they have something good regularly on sale.

Aftermarket cooler - I don't think I need once since I am not overclocking. Moreover I suppose it will make my system louder than stock fan/heatsink and more difficult to install. Hope I'm right about this?

More about : budget build

March 10, 2012 5:07:30 PM

sosofm said:
If you want a silent case buy this one Cooler Master Silencio 550 http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Silencio-Silent-Mid...
The Kingston RAM are verry good.
The aftermarket coolers are more silent than stock cpu coolers. Some of them can be used even fanless if you don't overclock.Like this one Scythe 120mm Ninja 3 Rev. B http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks the only problem is that it takes me above my budget. I'm already at $330 and trying to fill in a case at $70 or less (if I am buying after market cooler). In a case I am looking at few things. I know that with my budget it may not be easy to get all of these, o these are just pointers

1) Easy to work with especially adding/removing HDDs (toolless is best)
2) Good cable management - but not sure if this matters if I am using a modular PSU
3) Front USB3OR eSata or both
4) relatively quiet

The case you linked is above my budget. Maybe I can get it on a sale somewhere. Reviews say the cable amnagement is not good though
m
l
!