Help- My in-car kit doesn't work with my Nokia 3285 & 6310

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.tech,alt.cellular-phone-tech (More info?)

Hi all , I bought a "brand-x" in car kit to use with my Nokia phones.
It works fine with my 7190, but my 3285 & 6310 won't switch into
handsfree mode when I stick them into the cradle :(.

Researching on the net I found that, for the 51/61/71 series at least,
the phone gets toggled into handsfree by placing a 10K resister
across the audio out & audio common lines on the bottom connector.
Playing around I found that does indeed work for the 7190 when I put a
resister across those contacts, but not on the other two.

Does any one know if the 32/61 series use a different scheme to
activate the handsfree mode or are there programming issues at work
here? They both have "handsfree" settings in the menu but I can't find
anything thats related to activating the capability. Nokia lists the
same in car kit (CARK-91) for all three phones, so I can't see them
being *that* different from each other.

Any help appreaciated,

Howard.
1 answer Last reply
More about help doesn work nokia 3285 6310
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.tech,alt.cellular-phone-tech (More info?)

    > Hi all , I bought a "brand-x" in car kit to use with my Nokia phones.
    > It works fine with my 7190, but my 3285 & 6310 won't switch into
    > handsfree mode when I stick them into the cradle :(.
    > Researching on the net I found that, for the 51/61/71 series at least,
    > the phone gets toggled into handsfree by placing a 10K resister
    > across the audio out & audio common lines on the bottom connector.
    > Playing around I found that does indeed work for the 7190 when I put a
    > resister across those contacts, but not on the other two.
    >
    > Does any one know if the 32/61 series use a different scheme to
    > activate the handsfree mode or are there programming issues at work
    > here? They both have "handsfree" settings in the menu but I can't find
    > anything thats related to activating the capability. Nokia lists the
    > same in car kit (CARK-91) for all three phones, so I can't see them
    > being *that* different from each other.

    I've used my 6310i successfully on an old CARK-91. The only thing I can
    suggest is that if the phone has been dropped, the contacts at the bottom
    might not be working all the time. Usually this causes a more intermittent
    problem but if your handset is refusing to switch into "CAR" mode (which
    displays a car icon in place of the profile name on the 6310i) then perhaps
    you are running an older version of the software?

    A while ago there were some cheap car handsfree kits that were incompatible
    with the 6310i until the software was updated from the first release, it's
    possible you have a similar problem.

    Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the base of the car kit and the
    phone using say, emmery paper and/or a wire brush etc? It's possible the
    resistance is out purely because of chorrosion on the contacts.

    > Any help appreaciated,
    >
    > Howard.

    Hope it helps,
    froggie