Help- My in-car kit doesn't work with my Nokia 3285 & 6310

Last response: in Technologies
May 11, 2004 8:46:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.tech,alt.cellular-phone-tech (More info?)

Hi all , I bought a "brand-x" in car kit to use with my Nokia phones.
It works fine with my 7190, but my 3285 & 6310 won't switch into
handsfree mode when I stick them into the cradle :( .

Researching on the net I found that, for the 51/61/71 series at least,
the phone gets toggled into handsfree by placing a 10K resister
across the audio out & audio common lines on the bottom connector.
Playing around I found that does indeed work for the 7190 when I put a
resister across those contacts, but not on the other two.

Does any one know if the 32/61 series use a different scheme to
activate the handsfree mode or are there programming issues at work
here? They both have "handsfree" settings in the menu but I can't find
anything thats related to activating the capability. Nokia lists the
same in car kit (CARK-91) for all three phones, so I can't see them
being *that* different from each other.

Any help appreaciated,

Howard.
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 7:37:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.tech,alt.cellular-phone-tech (More info?)

> Hi all , I bought a "brand-x" in car kit to use with my Nokia phones.
> It works fine with my 7190, but my 3285 & 6310 won't switch into
> handsfree mode when I stick them into the cradle :( .
> Researching on the net I found that, for the 51/61/71 series at least,
> the phone gets toggled into handsfree by placing a 10K resister
> across the audio out & audio common lines on the bottom connector.
> Playing around I found that does indeed work for the 7190 when I put a
> resister across those contacts, but not on the other two.
>
> Does any one know if the 32/61 series use a different scheme to
> activate the handsfree mode or are there programming issues at work
> here? They both have "handsfree" settings in the menu but I can't find
> anything thats related to activating the capability. Nokia lists the
> same in car kit (CARK-91) for all three phones, so I can't see them
> being *that* different from each other.

I've used my 6310i successfully on an old CARK-91. The only thing I can
suggest is that if the phone has been dropped, the contacts at the bottom
might not be working all the time. Usually this causes a more intermittent
problem but if your handset is refusing to switch into "CAR" mode (which
displays a car icon in place of the profile name on the 6310i) then perhaps
you are running an older version of the software?

A while ago there were some cheap car handsfree kits that were incompatible
with the 6310i until the software was updated from the first release, it's
possible you have a similar problem.

Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the base of the car kit and the
phone using say, emmery paper and/or a wire brush etc? It's possible the
resistance is out purely because of chorrosion on the contacts.

> Any help appreaciated,
>
> Howard.

Hope it helps,
froggie